I'm sure it's VF6

I think all AM2 does nowadays is Hatsune Miku and Border Break. Both of which have been successful, I think?

It seems hard to believe they'd have the talent to make a new and good VF6 if they've been spinning their tires, but maybe the talent's still there.

Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if VF6 were announced in conjunction with an announcement Ys Net is leading development and utilizing a modified Shenmue 3 fighting engine. :love::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Hey, at least it'd help Ys Net research better animation and throws. Benefits all of us!

Last edited:
Happy to see another Virtua Fighter game, but not too pleased with the timing of the announcement, the implication being that the game will either be made without Yu Suzuki or that he will be working on this rather than on Shenmue 4. Neither of these things makes me happy.

Suzuki already stated in a Famitsu interview earlier this year that he'd be working on a new open world game in 2020.
So unless he's just an advisor, I don't see him working on a VF6.
I'd also be highly surprised if it's VF6 anyway. Probably something Yakuza related knowing Sega (i.e. Shiro in Yakuza lol)

If he’s working on a new game I presume it’s the castle in the sky game; but that also seems unlikely to me.

Suzuki already stated in a Famitsu interview earlier this year that he'd be working on a new open world game in 2020.
I'd also be highly surprised if it's VF6 anyway. Probably something Yakuza related knowing Sega (i.e. Shiro in Yakuza lol)
IIRC, Yu said that it was his aim to create a better open world game that built upon his experiences developing Shenmue 3. Whilst it could be inferred that he will begin working on Shenmue 4 this year, it could be seen as him saying that he’d like to begin working on Shenmue 4

He’s also gone on the record as saying that he’d like to make a new Virtua Fighter game at some point in the future and if given the opportunity, it’s possible that he might take it in spite of his desire to get started on Shenmue 4.

As for whether or not this is even VF6, I’m fairly certain that it is. That they waited until 6 days prior to the announcement to post it and are using an image of one of their old marketing characters in more or less the exact pose as the main character from Virtua Fighter seems like too much of a coincidence.

I suppose as SS was used predominantly during the marketing campaign for the Saturn, they could be about to announce a spectacular return to the console market (1.Master System, 2. Game Gear, 3. Megadrive, 4. Saturn, 5. Dreamcast, 6. ?), but I think this is just wishful thinking on my part!

Consoles are an absolute nonstarter but wouldn’t that be brilliant?

Consoles are an absolute nonstarter but wouldn’t that be brilliant?
If they released a Dreamcast 2, I’d probably buy it for nostalgia alone, but I have to agree that returning to the console market at this stage would be financial suicide for Sega and would make very little sense.

These days, Nintendo aside, a console is just a PC in a smaller case and whilst serious gamers continue to gravitate towards PC gaming for this reason, sales of consoles are down to brand loyalty and exclusives. Sega wouldn’t stand a chance in the current climate unless they could produce something spectacularly innovative, which their recent track record suggests is incredibly unlikely.

I don't think Suzuki should work on any other games, or anything else at all for that matter, besides Shenmue until it's finished. It can be a simple game; modders can improve it later by tweaking graphics (I've lived with and enjoy the first two games I don't care or need character's hair follicles to move or far and up close objects to blur during cutscenes), audio (there's enough music from the 3 games already so only a few new tracks would be necessary), adjusting amount of NPCs, etc, but at least the game will be out there.

Honestly, this would have me just as hyped as an S4 announcement. Perhaps even on the same level as S4 at this point. This would be insane.

Unless I'm missing something, it kind of seems like they're just going to announce the person taking over as Segata Sanshiro, as an ambassador for Sega's 60th anniversary. Would be cool if it also involved VF6, though.

That's 100% a Dreamcast Mini with a remake of Sonic Generations

Virtua Fighter fans are the new Shenmue fans, there hasn't been a new entry since 8 years ago. The tweet image is definitely a homage to VF and also that 6 is stylised in the same way the VF logos are. If this is something else related to the 60th anniversary of SEGA and not Virtua Fighter 6 it is cruel because of the emphasis of 6 and the wording "6 days until birth"

Virtua Fighter fans are the new Shenmue fans, there hasn't been a new entry since 8 years ago. The tweet image is definitely a homage to VF and also that 6 is stylised in the same way the VF logos are. If this is something else related to the 60th anniversary of SEGA and not Virtua Fighter 6 it is cruel because of the emphasis of 6 and the wording "6 days until birth"

Well it's more like 14 years since a proper sequel as Final Showdown's a VF5 update. Such a long time these Sega have left these good franchises to rot. It's criminal really

Well it's more like 14 years since a proper sequel as Final Showdown's a VF5 update. Such a long time these Sega have left these good franchises to rot. It's criminal really

I think Sega are slowly getting there.
It's nice to see Panzer Dragoon, House of the Dead and Space Channel 5 back.
If we can get a new Outrun, VF, Burning Rangers and Skies of Arcadia, I'd be ecstatic.

I mean, we've seen (or will see) this gen: Rez, Shenmue, Space Channel 5, Streets Of Rage, The House Of The Dead, Daytona, Panzer Dragoon, Sonic, Valkyria, Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, Super Monkey Ball, Sakura Wars, Phantasy Star, Border Break, Virtual On, ChuChu Rocket!, new IPs such as Judgment and Humankind, a Genesis/Mega Drive Mini, 3D Classics, releases in SEGA AGES, SEGA Forever, and compilations. Plus the ever successful Hatsune Miku, Total War, and Football Manager, which are about as SEGA now as the ESPN sports games ever were. Not to mention one of the most commercially and critical successful video game movies of all time with Sonic. I'd say SEGA are on a pretty good track, arguably the best they've been since Dreamcast, even with little to no involvement besides their blessing in a few of those entries listed.

Last edited:
Katagari worked on Yakuza 6 to integrate VF5 in the game and I believe Makoto Osaki is still there so theoretically, Sega has still the leading brains to design a great Virtua Fighter with very deep gameplay.

With the know-how got from the Yakuza engine, Sega could even make a Story mode without spending much new resources to appeal a wider audience (although I hope not).

What may VF6 lack without Yu Suzuki is a global vision, an innovative take and a fully intuitive gameplay. VF has become more and more complex since VF4 Evolution. Not sure if Suzuki would agree the decisions made on VF5 Showdown although the game is still a brilliant demonstration of what simplexity really is.

If related with a new game, I can see Sega announcing "Virtua Fighter" as reboot of the franchise.

Saturn mini should probably be exclusive to Japan.

Then make a Dreamcast mini for the west with some of the few Saturn classics to make it over here; Burning Rangers, VF2, Sonic Jam, NiGHTS, D/Enemy Zero, Tomb Raider, Panzer Dragoon (Saga reverse engineered emu-remaster would be pie in the sky). Plus, throw us Riven and Deep Fear for the first time here in north and south america as well as proper translation of Policenauts, Snatcher and Grandia.

Last edited:
Back