Is there enough enthusiasm for a Shenmue 4?

Damn it, I couldn’t help myself and went into the comments to see what this guy is all about. Jesus Christ the guy is an absolute knob jockey. What on earth is going through this guy’s head! And not for a second do I believe he put in 2k. What a prick.

What guy is this? Got a link?

I personally still think about it all the time, but I don’t think Shenmue 3 was well received enough by most existing fans.

In some areas, Shenmue 3 felt unfinished. I think this probably has to do with the publisher giving him a final deadline.
Remember when the release date was pushed back, some of us used to say "take your time, better a polished game than an unfinished one". Well, I think that may have been the problem here. He wasn't given the time he needed to make it the experience he wanted. Even after 4 years, on a restricted budget, with a smaller team. It's like many are saying now, Yu just didn't have the resources he needed to make the game many expected.

Taking everything into consideration, Shenmue 3 is a fine game. I think if and when we get Shenmue 4, Shenmue 3 may make more sense in the grand scheme of things.

The odds for Shenmue III were MUCH greater, and it still took about 18 years.

So no, probably ain't happening. Sadly..

Maybe we'll get the story via book one day. I wouldn't mind.

In some areas, Shenmue 3 felt unfinished. I think this probably has to do with the publisher giving him a final deadline.
Remember when the release date was pushed back, some of us used to say "take your time, better a polished game than an unfinished one". Well, I think that may have been the problem here. He wasn't given the time he needed to make it the experience he wanted. Even after 4 years, on a restricted budget, with a smaller team. It's like many are saying now, Yu just didn't have the resources he needed to make the game many expected.

Taking everything into consideration, Shenmue 3 is a fine game. I think if and when we get Shenmue 4, Shenmue 3 may make more sense in the grand scheme of things.
I agree with you in terms of the sentiment, but you gotta understand that for the time the team is working, the money is rolling.

All these developers have to be paid, and they have a cost. The longer the time they spend workin on the game, the more money is needed. So, maybe Shenmue III was unfinished from the gamer's point of view. But they have worked on it for as long as they could have, with the cash that they had.

We need something like this for shenmue! Haha, Watch till the end. (Not condoning vandalism but 'tis funny)

The Niaowu rush job was definitely related to pressure from Deep Silver. If Yu had more time, it would of been more fleshed out I think. Publishers can be a difficult part of a dev team’s project management and that is definitely the case with S3

The Niaowu rush job was definitely related to pressure from Deep Silver. If Yu had more time, it would of been more fleshed out I think. Publishers can be a difficult part of a dev team’s project management and that is definitely the case with S3

I dont think everything was Deep Silver's fault. The castle area ? Sure, maybe.
But the progression structure ? It's not something you do and decide in a year.

Even if the game was delayed by a year, I'd think we'd end up in the same situation. Either with a rushed Baisha or a more polished game but with the same issues.

The odds for Shenmue III were MUCH greater, and it still took about 18 years.

So no, probably ain't happening. Sadly..

Maybe we'll get the story via book one day. I wouldn't mind.

The odds for shenmue 3 were non-existent before development of 2 was even finished so don’t agree at all. hence the ending on 2.

I’m convinced we will get 4.

The odds for shenmue 3 were non-existent before development of 2 was even finished so don’t agree at all. hence the ending on 2.

I’m convinced we will get 4.
I hope you're right. But I just can't make sense of it.

Shenmue 2 blowed me away. I wasn't expecting it to have so much content and so on. There was definitely a feeling that it needed a sequel. I don't feel that way for Shenmue 3. That's my opinion.

I just wanna know what will happen in the story. And, I might not live enough to see it in game form.

Given the responses to the first tweetathon I think there's a good appetite for Shenmue 4.

How did that go? I don't have a Twitter account and I really don't pay attention to Twitter (I have a personal disdain for Twitter and most social media sites so the only social media presence I have these days is Facebook and Instagram.)

Last edited:
How did that go? I don't have a Twitter account and I really don't pay attention to Twitter (I have a personal disdain for Twitter and most social media sites so the only social media presence I have these days in Facebook and Instagram.)
Generally speaking the launch of it went well. Engagement numbers were pretty much on par with anything pre-Shenmue III release.

This month slightly down but lots of engagement. I think as it gains traction that will go up again.

I hope you're right. But I just can't make sense of it.

Shenmue 2 blowed me away. I wasn't expecting it to have so much content and so on. There was definitely a feeling that it needed a sequel. I don't feel that way for Shenmue 3. That's my opinion.

I just wanna know what will happen in the story. And, I might not live enough to see it in game form.
I sorta feel the same way.

When I finished Shenmue 2, I NEEDED a Shenmue 3.

When I finished Shenmue 3? Sure I want a fourth game, I really want a 4th game, but I'm not gonna obsess over it like last time.

I sorta feel the same way.

When I finished Shenmue 2, I NEEDED a Shenmue 3.

When I finished Shenmue 3? Sure I want a fourth game, I really want a 4th game, but I'm not gonna obsess over it like last time.

are you talking about your first playthrough around 2001/2? it was a different time back then.

good games / entertainment was a lot more sparse. now were oversaturated with AAA games. so im not surprised people are not that passionate or can easily walk away this series.

are you talking about your first playthrough around 2001/2? it was a different time back then.

good games / entertainment was a lot more sparse. now were oversaturated with AAA games. so im not surprised people are not that passionate or can easily walk away this series.
I played SII in the summer of 2003 on Dreamcast... my first eBay purchase.

Loved it.

There was just something about SII that elevated it to greatness, from the bustling streets of Wan Chai, to the dangerous slums of Kowloon, to the beautiful nature of Guilin... there was no game before or since that's quite like it.

I wish SIII could have continued that level of greatness.... I liked it a lot but in the end it fell a little flat compared to S2.

I think a lot of the casual fans who backed Shenmue III or played it without playing the first two would be turned off a little, but I think fans who really want the complete story are still around.
They also have potential to improve things a LOT for a potential sequel that could win people over.

I do think the game did well enough to justify a sequel, just depends on which publisher wants to do it. I doubt they'd kickstart again. I'm guessing Deep Silver has more investment in it now than Sega does, sadly.

I personally think they need to go back to Shenmue 1 & 2 for inspiration and ignore a lot of what was done with 3. Considering 3 was a learning experience (new team, new engine etc) they can probably improve on the downfalls of 3 considerably from a technical level, but they also need to recognise the decisions that fans didn't like or that took away from what made the original games stand out.

I think a lot of the casual fans who backed Shenmue III or played it without playing the first two would be turned off a little, but I think fans who really want the complete story are still around.
They also have potential to improve things a LOT for a potential sequel that could win people over.

I do think the game did well enough to justify a sequel, just depends on which publisher wants to do it. I doubt they'd kickstart again. I'm guessing Deep Silver has more investment in it now than Sega does, sadly.

I personally think they need to go back to Shenmue 1 & 2 for inspiration and ignore a lot of what was done with 3. Considering 3 was a learning experience (new team, new engine etc) they can probably improve on the downfalls of 3 considerably from a technical level, but they also need to recognise the decisions that fans didn't like or that took away from what made the original games stand out.
I doubt they're was any significant number of people who backed 3 and didnt play the first two. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount was less than triple digits. They're likely not even a factor

I did read on social networks some people backing Shenmue III while they did know nothing about the game. One wanted to back the creator of their childhood arcade machines. Another because a Japanese franchise with such pedigree deserved some help. Another because he was amazed by the hype. Generally, never more than $29.

What guy is this? Got a link?

He's going by, "Armpit Cut Trees," previously went under "Karimov." Actually, he's now, "Aggressive Giat."

He's appears to be a Middle-Eastern (always says, "Salaam," whenever he gets an opportunity) guy, in 20s-30s, living in Europe.

Back in July or August or something, he made a video on YT that took the piss out the entire dojo and Peter specifically, calling us, "pooplickers, shills, etc."

Most of the negatives on the KS, I didn't pay attention to, but this guy is seriously an asshole.

1583760874611.png

1583760930468.png

1583760997074.png

1583761046861.png

And it goes on like this.

I don't know how KS haven't IP-Banned him.

Back