Is there enough enthusiasm for a Shenmue 4?

I sorta feel the same way.

When I finished Shenmue 2, I NEEDED a Shenmue 3.

When I finished Shenmue 3? Sure I want a fourth game, I really want a 4th game, but I'm not gonna obsess over it like last time.
This. So much this. Shenmue 2 not being continued felt like a deep, deep regret in my life. Unlike anything else related to any form of media. It felt like an old scar that would turn into a bleeding, burning wound every now and then, whenever I thought about it. Having S3 one day was one of my biggest dreams for my life.

Now. I really, really want S4. It is my most anticipated game out there, but still, what is probably the best thing about S3 is that it likely helped get over Shenmue.

Nothing, absolutely nothing which interests me happened in S3. Niaoy Girl has the Phoenix Mirror? Yeah, fine and dandy, but frankly I don't really give a fuck. The questions that are keeping me interested are questions raised in S1 and 2.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan but now, if that voice gets back in my head, if that painful desire for the continuation of Shenmue comes back, I can always shrug it off and tell myself "S4 would have turned out becoming another S3 anyway."

SSo the best thing about S3 to me is that it relieved me off the burden of needing another Shenmue game.

felt like a deep, deep regret in my life. It felt like an old scar that would turn into a bleeding, burning wound every now and then,

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but going by what you’ve written above, it seems to be you were always going to be disappointed with 3. Especially a crowdfunded S3.

I doubt they're was any significant number of people who backed 3 and didnt play the first two. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount was less than triple digits. They're likely not even a factor
I did read on social networks some people backing Shenmue III while they did know nothing about the game. One wanted to back the creator of their childhood arcade machines. Another because a Japanese franchise with such pedigree deserved some help. Another because he was amazed by the hype. Generally, never more than $29.

I don't know of a way to measure this, but I do think there was a significant number of people backing the third game that just got caught up in the hype. We can only go off anecdotal evidence though.

I'm more worried about the fans who may have been turned off by Shenmue III and wouldn't want to back it. I backed Shenmue III in a heartbeat, but after being disappointed I'm much more wary of Shenmue IV.

Yeah, it's a conspiracy. Just a small vocal minority. Shenmue III is both a critical and commercial success.
Shenmue has always been considered as a trainwreck in the eyes of the media anyway.

When Shenmue 1 was released many called it a trainwreck and boring at that time. So, Shenmue 3 is keeping the tradition of Shenmue franchise.

Gamespot gave Shenmue 1 a 6.8 out of 10 score before Sega forced them to change it to 7.8 out of 10.

As for sales, Shenmue 3 has managed to reach the expectation of the publisher.

Yeah, it's a conspiracy. Just a small vocal minority. Shenmue III is both a critical and commercial success.
We are a minority in terms of the fanbase.

Of course the reviews etc speak for themselves but we are a minority group

Shenmue has always been considered as a trainwreck in the eyes of the media anyway.

When Shenmue 1 was released many called it a trainwreck and boring at that time. So, Shenmue 3 is keeping the tradition of Shenmue franchise.

Gamespot gave Shenmue 1 a 6.8 out of 10 score before Sega forced them to change it to 7.8 out of 10.

Yeah, right. Nice revisionism going on here.

Dont forget to say Shenmue III is better than I and II (which were never good to begin with), that it also sold better, that everyone likes it and that only a vocal minority didnt.

We are a minority in terms of the fanbase.

Of course the reviews etc speak for themselves but we are a minority group

Indeed, but my point is that as a whole, it's wrong to say that there's only a few person who weren't too hot on the game. That's not what reviews reflects, nor the discussions here nor the sales number.

Yeah, right. Nice revisionism going on here.

Dont forget to say Shenmue III is better than I and II (which were never good to begin with), that it also sold better, that everyone likes it and that only a vocal minority didnt.

Indeed, but my point is that as a whole, it's wrong to say that there's only a few person who weren't too hot on the game. That's not what reviews reflects, nor the discussions here nor the sales number.
We dont have the sales numbers but the rest I would concur with given a 69 average on Open Critic.

That said I and many others have enjoyed the game

For me yes, even more so than after Shenmue 2 ended, but the difference is I don't have another 18 year wait, or even 3-5 years for that matter. Shenmue 3 doesn't have the charm like 2 did to hold over such a long wait, and honestly, it's been so long we all deserve to have the story concluded asap at this point. If Shenmue 4 moves the story along as little as 3 did with a bunch of mini game stuff in its place instead I won't be interested in seeing a 5th one. I understand Sega wouldn't touch this product after Shenmue 2, but there was no reason with 3 to not move the story along and focus on the main course rather than the side dish. S4 needs to stay focused on the point, so yes, I am still enthusiastic to see the conclusion/progression.

How do you get forced to change a review based on your own opinion? But given how they threw Jeff under the bus after his kane and lynch review back in the day, it doesn't surprise me that gamespot pulled that kinda fuckery under pressure of a major company

Last edited:
I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but going by what you’ve written above, it seems to be you were always going to be disappointed with 3. Especially a crowdfunded S3.
No. If the storytelling would have been good, I could have even put up with a visual novel. In fact a visual novel may have worked better for me than the S3 we got. And it would have been very feasible even with a crowdfunded game.

No. If the storytelling would have been good, I could have even put up with a visual novel. In fact a visual novel may have worked better for me than the S3 we got. And it would have been very feasible even with a crowdfunded game.

Yup, agreeing here.
Was a crowdfunded Shenmue III game always going to cut corners somewhere ? Yes.
Was it possible to make a full fledged Shenmue title by crowdfunding ? No.

Was it impossible to make a Shenmue game with a great story and character cast with crowdfunding ? Hell no.
Choices were made because of budget. But it doesn't mean those were the only choices. Budget is the reason why we have a weaker entry story wise. But the dev team is the one to blame for choosing to focus the budget on a bigger map and mini-games.

Yup, agreeing here.
Was a crowdfunded Shenmue III game always going to cut corners somewhere ? Yes.
Was it possible to make a full fledged Shenmue title by crowdfunding ? No.

Was it impossible to make a Shenmue game with a great story and character cast with crowdfunding ? Hell no.
Choices were made because of budget. But it doesn't mean those were the only choices. Budget is the reason why we have a weaker entry story wise. But the dev team is the one to blame for choosing to focus the budget on a bigger map and mini-games.
This. I think it’s safe to say that most fans would have happily accepted smaller maps, a shorter game and fewer mini-games if it meant a more compelling story and less forced grinding.

This. I think it’s safe to say that most fans would have happily accepted smaller maps, a shorter game and fewer mini-games if it meant a more compelling story and less forced grinding.
As much as I want to believe this I reckon there would hav ebeen as much of an outcry over less mini-games, shorter game etc as some would say it would lose its Shenmue feel.

Just my 2 cents though

I think that, to Yu Suzuki Shenmue is primarily about the FREE concept.. an open world to explore, mini games, part time jobs, capsule toys, etc.

Sure, when an entry comes out it will naturally progress the story, but the narrative isn't first priority.

If it was, we would have been given the script or novel a long time ago.

As much as I want to believe this I reckon there would hav ebeen as much of an outcry over less mini-games, shorter game etc as some would say it would lose its Shenmue feel.

Just my 2 cents though

As much, I don't believe so. If it was as beautiful (not visually) and poetic as the previous games story wise, I think people wouldn't make as much as a fuss. Equating story and characters to mini-games and forklifts sounds far fetched.

Just my 2 cents though

I was about to agree as I identify myself as these people. I used to love Shenmue for the interactivity freedom rather than the story at the time.

But Shenmue III was suggested to be the episode focused on village lexicon. I think pretty every fan would have been comprehensive to a more frugal vision if well designed. When you're rightly immersed into something, it's always easier to accept the artist's vision.

Even if Shenmue 4 turns out to be a great game, there are few chances we got Bailu Village 2 so it sounds like a missed opportunity.

Back