Judgement Series

Thanks, Tomboz :)

Good then, I've unlocked basically every trophy you can get in chapter 1 (without going nuts on the completion list, as you could concievably get very far in that as well, on chapter 1) and have completed a good chunk of the completion list and I'm just under 9 hours.

Ready to (according to trophies) get the skateboard, I think, so we'll see how that goes :)

I don’t think I’ll be going for the platinum this time around. There’s just too much to do and some of it is horrendously grindy and mind-numbingly boring. I’ll probably end up doing everything apart from the TownGO trophies, which are just a huge time sink - especially some of the Robotics Club ones like developing every part.

On an unrelated note, did anybody else get strong Shenmue vibes from the game’s climax? The
100-man battle and the command qte finishers
in particular, but also the general tone of the narrative.

I sure hope they let me play VS darts all I want VS all these girls after I beat the game. It's asking for it. Oh well, even as is I ask them all to do darts. Ryo would approve...

I don’t think I’ll be going for the platinum this time around. There’s just too much to do and some of it is horrendously grindy and mind-numbingly boring. I’ll probably end up doing everything apart from the TownGO trophies, which are just a huge time sink - especially some of the Robotics Club ones like developing every part.

On an unrelated note, did anybody else get strong Shenmue vibes from the game’s climax? The
100-man battle and the command qte finishers
in particular, but also the general tone of the narrative.
I get the vibe all over the place, and yet S3 with it's tiny budget, no cash for so many cutscenes, no animations for some chars done much. Seems like a better more detailed game, with a better combat system, all minuses considered. I take back all that sour feeling I got replaying S3 recently.

I still love it. I love it's detective aspect, I love the QTE scenes, the tailing. It's a ton of repeats, but that's your typical RPG. I wish they'd rehire Suzuki. As far as every trophy, maybe not. But I started be-frending people like crazy. I might get to 50 now. Thought I wouldn't a bit ago.

Not sure if it will still be a series as Yagami's face can't be used for future games. More importantly, the number one guy behind Judgement and Yakuza, Nagoshi, is no longer with Sega. No idea what Sega is doing anymore, but anyway, the games are solid. It was fun while it lasted.
All they need is the formula itself IMO. Solving crimes and so on. There's a ton of great literature they can use for a story. If they need to, they can do a retro type like L.A. Noire. LOL like in 1980s. You get the drift? Sort of a spin off from 2 franchises...

I get the vibe all over the place, and yet S3 with it's tiny budget, no cash for so many cutscenes, no animations for some chars done much. Seems like a better more detailed game, with a better combat system, all minuses considered. I take back all that sour feeling I got replaying S3 recently.

I still love it. I love it's detective aspect, I love the QTE scenes, the tailing. It's a ton of repeats, but that's your typical RPG. I wish they'd rehire Suzuki. As far as every trophy, maybe not. But I started be-frending people like crazy. I might get to 50 now. Thought I wouldn't a bit ago.
I kind of feel like Lost Judgment is what Shenmue 4 would be if Yu was instructed to make the game more mainstream and had a bit of extra money behind him. To be honest, I’m not sure how I feel about that. There were things about the game I really enjoyed (the visuals, the story, the pacing), but things that I really didn’t (the watered-down investigative elements, the over abundance of side activities, the partial voice acting).

I kind of feel like Lost Judgment is what Shenmue 4 would be if Yu was instructed to make the game more mainstream and had a bit of extra money behind him. To be honest, I’m not sure how I feel about that. There were things about the game I really enjoyed (the visuals, the story, the pacing), but things that I really didn’t (the watered-down investigative elements, the over abundance of side activities, the partial voice acting).
That partial voice acting took me back almost to playing Final Fantasy stuff decades ago. Then I tried Japanese voice over, and it's still not there. It's what they do in Yakuza too to save money. And the side quests become boring thanks to it by now. I'm way too spoiled by modern games, Shenmue started it all too. I wish they did less side stuff period. I got burned out last night completing what my reputation allowed. The main quest felt way better.

That partial voice acting took me back almost to playing Final Fantasy stuff decades ago. Then I tried Japanese voice over, and it's still not there. It's what they do in Yakuza too to save money. And the side quests become boring thanks to it by now. I'm way too spoiled by modern games, Shenmue started it all too. I wish they did less side stuff period. I got burned out last night completing what my reputation allowed. The main quest felt way better.
Yeah. It reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy X. It’s a real shame because Lost Judgment’s voice actors are fantastic (especially Greg Chun and Todd Haberkorn), but having the game cut to text with the occasional random spoken word thrown in really breaks the immersion. Thankfully, this only really happens during side cases and school stories, but it undoubtedly makes them weaker. I’d much rather RGG cut down on side content to ensure that everything is fully voiced.

STILL in chapter 1 lol, but I had only planned only playing 30 minutes or so last night, as MNF was on.

Ended up playing for over an hour, because the skateboard is friggin' awesome and I hit on the, "big yen," items that get dropped, so I was getting silver, gold and bronze plates like nobody's business.

Great stuff.

The skateboard race tracks are actually my favourite thing in terms of racing mini games
from any Yakuza universe game. They arent that long, there arent too many, its pretty fast
and the gameplay is fun. I played track after track after track and i was never bored
and you can even buy some cool stuff with the points.
I enjoyed it more than any other RGG Studio racing mini game so far.

The skateboard race tracks are actually my favourite thing in terms of racing mini games
from any Yakuza universe game. They arent that long, there arent too many, its pretty fast
and the gameplay is fun. I played track after track after track and i was never bored
and you can even buy some cool stuff with the points.
I enjoyed it more than any other RGG Studio racing mini game so far.
Would probably agree on this, although I quite enjoyed the drone racing too. In terms of the worst, it has to be either the Robotics Club mini game or the Biker Gang death races; both of which were dull and reparative. The girl’s bar stuff also suffered from a lack of variety, but I quite liked the concept.

Man…there’s way too much dialogue in this game. Y7 nearly broke me with how frustrating the story unfolded. This is following that same path.

I don’t very much care about the Shenmue/Yakuza comparisons, but I will say that despite how slow or boring much of the mainstream likes to label Shenmue, not once did I ever get bored by any of the dialogue (even in Shenmue 3). All characters were fully voiced, and while the voice acting could be downright horrendous, I never found any of the in-game or cutscene dialogue to overstay it’s welcome. In Lost Judgement (and Y7 to an even worse extent), you’ll get a fully voiced and animated scene, then a fully voiced and semi-animated scene, and static talking-head text only scene…all within the same fucking scene. I think this series’ writing is fantastic for the most part, but damn RGG needs to be more efficient with their storytelling.

This is surprising to me, since I’ve been with the series from the beginning. Myabe I just don’t have the patience to sit through this kind of presentation anymore. Other than that though, I’m really digging the game.

Last edited:
I'm loving all the dialogue; I LOVE text-heavy... texts lol. I did a fair amount of school stuff last night (in the time I could) and I ate it all up and wanted MORE! lol

I usually read through every line of dialogue and text I can get my hands on, so I don't mind the amount in games, regardless of how much or how little. As the Japanese love visual novels and dating sims, I have a feeling the heavy-dialogue is to placate them.

But yes, I'm FINALLY in Chapter 2 and I am loving the School stuff; both the main story and side stuff (I would've completed the dance club, if I didn't have to go to bed). The plot is FANTASTIC so far, though a bit coincidental (of course). We'll see how it goes, but this is shaping up to be a phenomenal crime drama, like the majority of the series.

Got another 3-4 hours done yesterday and I'm just eating everything up and thensome; the Robotics were killing me at first (couldn't beat the first opponent, after the tutorial, for 3 straight matches), but then I realized that you need speed and just build to the other blocks and I haven't lost once yet lol; I'm still in Chapter 2, so I'm now at the holding point, for when it picks up at chapter 4.

Have to do a few more skateboard things, then my appeal will be large-enough to finish off the Rabbits and as it has been unlocked, I am on-track to complete E-Sports and Boxing as well. Love, love, LOVE this side content and it is VERY well-implemented.

Will maybe get the DLC soon, so that I don't have to go back and do the G/F stuff.

And now up to 19 hours, still on chapter 2 lol. Finished the skateboard and E-Sports sides, as well have gotten to the last part of the Rabbits (but can't do it; have to raise appeal, which I will this afternoon). Those skateboard races were super-frustrating at times, but was able to get them all done in the end :D

The game has been phenomenal for side content; everything is fun/expands your mind/goes well with the narrative of the game. So invested lol.

And now up to 19 hours, still on chapter 2 lol. Finished the skateboard and E-Sports sides, as well have gotten to the last part of the Rabbits (but can't do it; have to raise appeal, which I will this afternoon). Those skateboard races were super-frustrating at times, but was able to get them all done in the end :D

The game has been phenomenal for side content; everything is fun/expands your mind/goes well with the narrative of the game. So invested lol.
Think my total playtime ended up being around 40 hours, and I did all of the side cases and school stories. If I had to guess, I’d say that the side content made up around 30 of the 40 hours I played.

All that said, I do think that some of it was quite weak (some of the latter side cases and one or two of the school stories in particular felt a little phoned in). My biggest complaint remains how little emphasis was actually placed on the investigative/detective elements of the game though.

Yeah, of the 19, I'd say about 9-10 so far (maybe a bit less), has been side/school stuff.

I spent a good 7-8 hours (or more) just fighting, clearing all the Town Go things I could and polishing off the arcade (which isn't done yet, but I'm not good-enough to win at StF and VF5 (just Dural, actually; I always do well-enough, but have a super-hard time beating her, always).

I think I'm now 23 hours in? Can't remember as I was super groggy and had to get to sleep lol.

Anyways, fully-maxed every school story I could do to that point (end of chapter 2), including boxing (which is AWESOME), so i'm now in Chapter 3. I'm going to get started on the bike club as soon as it gets dark and keeping my eyes open to complete the Rabbits.

I did a few side/practice battles with robotics and now have the sniper guns; holy crap do they ever make a difference in the battles, I can't wait to do a few more and upgrade a bit more! :D

I think I may head back to Kamurocho for a little bit, see if there are any records/decks/SMS games to buy, as I didn't check at the beginning of the game (having no money didn't help, but now I have 1.6 mil yen).

I really like the treasure boosts (all the boosts for that matter, but specifically the treasure boosts) that they added to this game; sure you need to work and find a restaurant that has them, but it REALLY helps with money in the early game (and may be useful in the mid and endgames as well).

All-in-all, the game is still super up to any expectation I could've had and (if you can't tell already, lol) I'm having such a great time with all of it, warts (if any) and all.

Will say the beginning of this game vs. the beginning of Judge Eyes, this game is definitely the better experience; I've read that this one isn't as strong as the first in the endgame, but the mids are about the same. CAN-NOT-WAIT! :D

Back