Kickstarter Project Update #103: A message from Ys Net, Epic Games & Deep Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doom and gloom? I’m just being pragmatic. This is not good and we are running out of chances for the game to be successful.
Pragmatism would make you realise that times are changing. Epic has a real chance at dethroning Steam for control of the PC market. You can either choose to play Epic's game or switch to the PS4 and see how this war between Epic and Steam unfolds over the next couple of years. This way you can keep moving and Shenmue 3 survives. Instead you've opted to openly damage Shenmue 3's reputation and demand recriminations from all those involved.

I'm sorry I must have missed the part where Deep Silver hacked your computer and made you say mean things about Shenmue 3. :p

Free will man, embrace it.
Probably because pretty much everything I say about S3 is pretty darn nice :3

Honestly him accusing Steam of being a monopoly is ridiculous. I’m even considering moving GOG permanently because of their recent actions of promising to never make game inaccessible to those who have bought them even after they have been removed from the service.

More about GOG:

More:

And...more:

Monopoly? Format war?I love GOG! Despite the fact I have only 5 GOG games and almost 200 steam games.

You are taking this conversation in extremely bad faith.

Not sure what I want to happen. I suppose options would be best.

Offer refunds to those who don't want to be involved any more.

The physical disc needs to come back with a Steam activation code.

If anyone chose a digital key, then give them the Steam key, and then sell the game on Epic after backers are dealt with.

I would also like the option to transfer the pc version to PS4.

Not sure what I want to happen. I suppose options would be best.

Offer refunds to those who don't want to be involved any more.

The physical disc needs to come back with a Steam activation code.

If anyone chose a digital key, then give them the Steam key, and then sell the game on Epic after backers are dealt with.

I would also like the option to transfer the pc version to PS4.

Honestly, I chose the Shenmue III physical PC version because I wanted a disc version. Why? Because I don't want a game I've waited for so long to be held hostage on a digital storefront. If I get a Steam key and one day it's delisted from digital seervices I will not have access to a game I spent hundreds of dollars to with my own monetary contribution. I recall initially that the PC version was apparently comng with actual discs and not a digital storefront code. If it's just a digital storefront code in a box then I see no difference between getting a steam key and it. Yet, I got physical for a reason. For this reason, despite mod support, the Playstation 4 version of Shenmue III is now my main version of the game. I was really looking forward to the PC version but without a physical disc I honestly don't see the point.

Pragmatism would make you realise that times are changing. Epic has a real chance at dethroning Steam for control of the PC market. You can either choose to play Epic's game or switch to the PS4 and see how this war between Epic and Steam unfolds over the next couple of years. This way you can keep moving and Shenmue 3 survives. Instead you've opted to openly damage Shenmue 3's reputation and demand recriminations from all those involved.

I know for a fact you are not conversing with me at all. I'm this close to calling you names. How do I know? Because you're telling me to just get the ps4 version when I have expressed multiple times that I have backed both ps4 and pc. Why? Because I'm not a system slut.

Let me repeat:

I HAVE BACKED BOTH THE PC AND PS4 VERSIONS. I HAVE DONATED OVER 170 DOLLARS FOR THE PS4 VERSION. I INCLUDED A PHYSICAL PC VERSION DURING THE SLACKER BACKER.

This is not about me. I'm a Shenmue fan. I'm buying 3-4 versions of Shenmue III: PC, PS4, PS4 collectors, PS4 regular edition at Gamestop to get the pre-order bonus.

But you don't get this because you're a goddamn wall with a brain made of cheese.

And yet you cannot get into your thick mother fucking skull that I'm not talking about me.

I don't care about a war between Steam and Epic. I AM NOT GETTING WHAT I PAID FOR. In any case, I'm supporting Shenmue III regardless. Which you don't get.

My pragmatism comes from the fact that others are NOT me. I'm a Shenmue super fan buying multiple copies of the game. Those outside of the fanbase DO. NOT. CARE. and if you think this recent news, combined with the utterly poor showing at E3 has helped this game in any way, I have a bridge to sell you.

I have damaged the game? Me? Kiss my ass.

Being "mean" to Shenmue III? You're fucking pathetic.

Fuck this.

On to ignore list.

edit: putting people on ignore removes them entirely from the conversation, and even quotes?

9rjwL6d.gif

I never have to see Kintor post ever again. What utter vapidity.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the physical PC version is no longer an option on the fangamer survey (when changing your preference). Whether this is an indication that they are considering switching back to their original plan of putting the game on disc(s) or not remains to be seen.

It’s possible that doing so would increase production costs and lead to all of the digital backers switching versions (ie, they want to keep costs down by preventing the latter), but they could just as likely be trying to limit the number of people who complain after receiving an epic key when they had previously been told that they would get the full game on disc.

Proof, again, for Kintor.

qcrPHTA.png

I'm thoroughly convinced that Kintor is paid by Epic.

I was talking about the reception and massive backlash to the game outside of the Shenmue fan bubble, and the dude makes it all about how "times are changing" and "Epic is a competitor." Somehow me expressing concern for the games health due tto a turbulent E3 means I'm being "mean" to the game.

How does someone go from this, which is a post about marketing and perception:

It really sucks. We could rely on the game marketing, but the game marketing even at E3 and behind Deep Silver, is terrible. Right now the only thing that will save this thing is if it's a good game. Marketing, mindshare, fan engagement. It has failed on all levels and smells like a bomb. I wish there weren't the case. I wish things were better for the game, but the situation right now is not good for III, the future of Shenmue, nor Yu Suzuki's career which is tied to all of this.

to this:

?

You are an Epic shill. Prove me wrong. Someone tell me if Kintor has replied. I'd really like to know how Epic "has a real chance at dethroning Steam" has anything to do with how this move has harmed Shenmue III's reputation.

Do you work for Deep Silver? How much has Epic paid you, shill mother fucker?

Last edited:
Pretty tired of all of this now.

Both of you, cut it out. We won't be giving out warnings with the ongoing debates over this whole issue, but there are lines, and you are skating close to them. Any more outbursts that descend into personal tirades and warnings will follow.

Let's be fair, EGS was not on the scene when the kickstarter happened.

With that in mind would you all have backed S3 if it was EGS instead of steam?
Or
found out it was EGS exclusive once those first survey was sent. Would you all be upset about it?

We are getting S3 in the end, Yu didn't just tweet out "sorry guys game canceled, thanks for the cash." Like a lot of other projects have done.

I know I would be pissed about not getting a physical pc copy. I would be even more pissed if I had to go online to download the game. That's how long Its been since I used a pc to game, plus I have limited internet access.

Wait for an official response.
Then get mad or happy, maybe both.
Am rooting for you all to be happy.

Pretty tired of all of this now.

Both of you, cut it out. We won't be giving out warnings with the ongoing debates over this whole issue, but there are lines, and you are skating close to them. Any more outbursts that descend into personal tirades and warnings will follow.

Sorry.

Unwatched the thread. Only commenting on positive Shenmue III stuff in the time being. My blood pressure needs to get lowered.

I just wish we could stop the panicking and people running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Let us analyze this situation.

This is not the first time something controversial has happened to Shenmue, and we all know the past circumstances lead to the situation that caused development hell.

When Shenmue II was canceled for dreamcast in the US was it done to benefit Shenmue or the fans? It was done for the sole purpose of greed, Peter Moore was an opportunist and Xbox wanted Shenmue as an exclusive to use against Sony. If you look at the promises and the promotional material claims, Microsoft put very little effort into the promotional aspect. I have no idea how much money was involved to get Shenmue 2 as an Xbox exclusive but clearly whatever sales were made from the Microsoft deal weren't enough to justify making a 3rd game and the platform deal and negative reviews really hurt Shenmue 2 long term.

Now look at the circumstances around Shenmue Online and the insane costs involved. It was a limited market but obviously significant time and money went into the project and it just basically went into unofficial cancelation, all of that money gone.

I am not worried about Shenmue III not coming out, what I am worried about is the epic deal is starting to give me flashbacks to the Microsoft situation to some degree and I will explain. If we play devils advocate, these are the scenarios I can see happening.

1) Shenmue 3 releases on EPIC and PS4, reviewers speak negatively about the game and the lack of exposure on Steam affects new customers from experiencing the game. Funds obtained from Shenmue 3 to go into Shenmue 4 end up going into development but due to publisher agreements, Shenmue IV is forced to conform to deep silvers requests on what should be suitable

2) Shenmue IV goes into development and becomes vaporware (worst case scenario may this never happen)

3) the consequences and fallback cause Deep Silver to reevaluate PC releases and profit loss benefit, pulls a rockstar games and makes Shenmue exclusive to Console.

Obviously these are very bad situations which on one hand you have a developer signed on but dictating distribution and while there is likely a cash flow towards publishing, what kind of terms exist and what kind of power does Deep Silver have regarding Shenmues release?

The other question is had the development rejected Deep Silver as a publisher, would there have been more development? Less development? Was cash running dry?

It's a sensitive topic and a harsh reality but one we should all be open to discussing.

For historical purposes, yes not identical but still a fascinating read from a historical standpoint how optimistic everything was back then.

Last edited:
Am waiting for DS to announce that they will give Steam keys to backers at launch but have locked the fangamer survey to prevent people that changed their preference from changing back ?

I can see why people would be annoyed if it was promised on steam, I don't blame them but was an automated email the only thing said about steam? Was there anything else?

Am waiting for DS to announce that they will give Steam keys to backers at launch but have locked the fangamer survey to prevent people that changed their preference from changing back ?

I'm still hesitating to change my fangamer choice cause I am hopeful this will all work out

I can see why people would be annoyed if it was promised on steam, I don't blame them but was an automated email the only thing said about steam? Was there anything else?

the original KS page didnt say anything about Steam, the Slacker Backer page didnt say anything about Steam.
if you look at the goal of the campaign and the rewards (on KS and Slacker Backer) its just "PC".

they changed the PC requirements at some point in a update to "you need Steam to activate this product"
but that doesnt matter because everything in every KS campaign can change for whatever reason.
those were the terms of condition of KS by the time the Shenmue 3 campaign was active.
by the time where people gave their money voluntary to YS Net to fullfill the campaign goal
(Shenmue 3 on PS4 and PC)
there was no mentioning of Steam besides that post for the requirements. (or not even that, depends on the time)
so technically all PC people spent their money without knowing for sure if Steam would be the platform.

then in 2018 they had the option to choose a Steam version in the Fangamer survey.
thats why all people assumed they will get a Steam version
because whoever was responsible for the survey details, made Steam a option.
but again, all backers already paid before they received the survey,
and without the survey you couldnt know if it really would be on Steam.

so now you have people who assumed something when they paid and a promise from a survey
but all of the details are in a huge grey area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back