Kickstarter Project Update #103: A message from Ys Net, Epic Games & Deep Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, I didn't assume.

It originally said "PC" so it seemed obvious to me we were getting discs in the box and this was not tied to any digital storefront. That changed, but I didn't ultimately mind in the end even if I would have preferred physical.

Also, Epic store is blocked in China.

Oh you know, the same location the game takes place.

There's even a Chinese language option on the Shenmue website indicating they cared very much about the Chinese fanbase.

But whoops, China is now told they're not getting the game period - for a full year. I'm pretty sure PS4 and other consoles are hopelessly expensive in China, the way they are in places like Brazil and South America. They really like PC gaming. So Steam was their best option.

And now because of Deep Silver, an entire country of Shenmue fans are now blocked from getting the game they helped back.

And Shenmue fans around the world are defending that happening.

Fuck them, right?

This move is a massive breach in trust towards fans and for a fan oriented game as Shenmue it is simply bad news.

Finally, I didn't assume.

It originally said "PC" so it seemed obvious to me we were getting discs in the box and this was not tied to any digital storefront. That changed, but I didn't ultimately mind in the end even if I would have preferred physical.

Also, Epic store is blocked in China.

Oh you know, the same location the game takes place.

There's even a Chinese language option on the Shenmue website indicating they cared very much about the Chinese fanbase.

But whoops, China is now told they're not getting the game period - for a full year. I'm pretty sure PS4 and other consoles are hopelessly expensive in China, the way they are in places like Brazil and South America. They really like PC gaming. So Steam was their best option.

And now because of Deep Silver, an entire country of Shenmue fans are now blocked from getting the game they helped back.

And Shenmue fans around the world are defending that happening.

Fuck them, right?

This move is a massive breach in trust towards fans and for a fan oriented game as Shenmue it is simply bad news.

Deep Silver is not the publisher or distributor for Shenmue 3 in China
and Epic Games is not the launcher for Shenmue 3 in China.
Not on PC and not on PS4

Shenmue 3 is going through a different storefront in China, WeGame (owned by TenCent). PS4 distribution by Oasis games.

Info in Kickstarter update #94.

"Just because you assumed".

Nuh uh.

With the Kickstarter I can give you a pass and claim it's an assumption. After all, it just said "PC".

But after the survey it is no longer an assumption, it is a confirmation. It even has its own Steam page.

But the survey was years after we backed the project. How can anyone be mad about decisions that are made and then changed years after we paid? It's just ridiculous in my eyes. If someone paid £29 for a PC version back in 2015, they had no idea what they were getting.

It's like me paying years in advance for a pizza, not knowing what flavour I will get and fully accepting those terms, then being told it will be pepperoni, but it changes to pineapple at the last minute.

Sure, it's irritating and pineapple on pizza is certainly not "just another topping", it's disgusting and blasphemous, but I accepted the terms at the time that stipulated I would get a pizza and made no reference to the toppings and type I would receive.

But the survey was years after we backed the project. How can anyone be mad about decisions that are made and then changed years after we paid? It's just ridiculous in my eyes. If someone paid £29 for a PC version back in 2015, they had no idea what they were getting.

It's like me paying years in advance for a pizza, not knowing what flavour I will get and fully accepting those terms, then being told it will be pepperoni, but it changes to pineapple at the last minute.

Sure, it's irritating and pineapple on pizza is certainly not "just another topping", it's disgusting and blasphemous, but I accepted the terms at the time that stipulated I would get a pizza and made no reference to the toppings and type I would receive.

Who cares if you've accepted it, really? You're on this website. Of course you'd accept it.

But it's a big party and you're not the only one eating.

Pineapples, now that is something to argue about.

No matter what bad anecdotes and analogies we all make, I just don't think announcing a change in platform (to a sketchy one no one wants to use I may add) 5-6 months before release is a good thing.

I will be playing on PS4 rather than play my PC copy now.

I'll leave it at that.

Who cares if you've accepted it, really? You're on this website. Of course you'd accept it.

But it's a big party and you're not the only one eating.

I accept it because I'm on this website? But that suggests I wouldn't criticise the poor facial expressions and animations (sorry, weak sprinkling of mozzarella) which I do all the time.

I accept it because I'm on this website? But that suggests I wouldn't criticise the poor facial expressions and animations (sorry, weak sprinkling of mozzarella) which I do all the time.

Okay, well. Let's put it this way. Clearly saying this news isn't a big deal isn't true, right? I mean, it's clearly a big deal. It has divided the fanbase in a way I have never, ever seen it before. I'm talking about the genuine fanbase, not the shit posters on the Kickstarter. No matter how you feel about the situation I think we all want this to be handled amicably so that we all benefit and that this is something we, as a fanbase and community, cannot simply brush under the rug as "not a big deal."

I have faith in YSnet making this right. I highly doubt Yu Suzuki knew of the details regarding digital storefronts. The guy readily admits he barely pays attention to games as is and digital pc gaming isn't as big in Japan as it in the rest of the world. This was all Deep Silver trying to recoup their costs, I think. So I think YSnet will be doing everything in their power to make this right. I trust them with that.

I think we should all like they said wait until they get back to their offices and see what happens. Patience will pay off I think.

We must all have Dan. Be brave and stay calm to make the right decision.

... and the Epic store is NOT blocked in China.

http://www.techweb.com.cn/ucweb/new...kuInMMATTgnoXRlu09m3M8diJ9Y9fME83G4_Amb6LokjA

Can you stop grabbing any old news article to suit your rhetoric and do some up to date fact checking first?

For what it's worth, up until literally a month ago it was blocked in China, and they never released an official statement on it, so I don't think it's a difficult mistake to make. But it doesn't matter because it has different distributors in China, so whether or not it's blocked is irrelevant.

While the KS and slacker page didn’t say steam - this is true - they definitely advertised steam as being a part of Shenmue III. It even has a steam page and has had one for quite some time.

But not during the crowdfunding period. So that advertising could not have any influence on backers giving their money or not - with the potential caveat for a small number of people I mentioned in my post a few pages back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back