Kickstarter Update #100 - Shenmue III delayed until November 19th

Did anyone else have an Amazon order on the side?
If so, did anyone else get charged over night by Amazon?

I got the email saying it was delayed, but I just looked at my account and noticed I've been charged by Amazon...which is weird considering Amazon doesn't charge until the week of release usually.
How much were you charged.

I wonder what kind of 'polishing' they're actually doing. Is it really just general bugs and stuff that need ironing out and can't do in time for August, or are there more substantial improvements being made perhaps?
Yu said he wanted to do more with facial animation before release, in the recent Famitsu interview.

Did anyone else have an Amazon order on the side?
If so, did anyone else get charged over night by Amazon?

I got the email saying it was delayed, but I just looked at my account and noticed I've been charged by Amazon...which is weird considering Amazon doesn't charge until the week of release usually.
They changed that policy apparently.

No im not saying there's no gameplay but is the gameplay very bad on the eye? Or still looks like it's in the alpha stage?
Read the previews for yourself to get an idea: (EDGE, VG 24/7, IGN, Gameblog, RPGsite)

But on the whole all these previews were positive about what they saw.

The two biggest things it has to contend with is Death Stranding and Star Wars, but it could be worse. It could be a packed month and it could have went completely over shadowed. So far it seems less crowded than I initially thought and could still have a fighting chance.

We also don't know what that Star Wars game is going to be like yet either. People were incredibly critical of Battlefront 2 and even the first one received its fair share of criticisms. I think people will be sceptical of Jedi Fallen Order, because of how EA has handled Star Wars games in the past few years.

We need to get Shenmue 4. For that, Shenmue 3 must sell well and the majority of sales are going to come from casual gamers. How on earth can Shenmue 3 outmarket Death Stranding, Call of Duty, Pokemon and Star Wars to attract the casual gamer's attention? It won't because it can't compete with their budgets. And goodness knows what games will be announced for November come E3

Would it have killed them to wait 1 more day to announce the delay? The 3rd of each month was always for positive Shenmue vibes. Now they deflated that forever for me.
Yeah it's pretty strange. At the very least they shouldn't have wasted the entire 100th update on just this.

We need to get Shenmue 4. For that, Shenmue 3 must sell well and the majority of sales are going to come from casual gamers. How on earth can Shenmue 3 outmarket Death Stranding, Call of Duty, Pokemon and Star Wars to attract the casual gamer's attention? It won't because it can't compete with their budgets. And goodness knows what games will be announced for November come E3

Yeah but if you delay it to say early 2020 then can how can it compete with The Last of Us 2 and FF VII remake? (for example). Some people keep saying "delay it to Q1 2020"....I don't think that's a great idea considering how packed Q1 has been in recent years.

I don't think it really matters when it releases. It's gonna face an uphill battle either way.

It is worth noting that Q1 is 2020 may be a tough sell also. There are some seriously heavy hitters on the early 2020 slate(TLOU2, etc.), plus PlayStation celebrates 25 years in December this year.

You, me and everyone else knows they will at least BEGIN the hype train for the PS5 at PSX this year, that much is clear. Backwards Compatibility notwithstanding, that generates a storm of buzz that can hurt future purchases(i.e. "Its BC, so I'll wait several months to purchase any PS4 title or wait for a PS5 port/patch)

Yeah but if you delay it to say early 2020 then can how can it compete with The Last of Us 2 and FF VII remake? (for example). Some people keep saying "delay it to Q1 2020"....I don't think that's a great idea considering how packed Q1 has been in recent years.

I don't think it really matters when it releases. It's gonna face an uphill battle either way.

I think TLoU2 and FFVII will come later to be fair. The latter I don't expect until at least the second half of 2020. That said, it's really tough for publishers trying to pick an optimum date. They could announce it for January for February and then who knows what gets announced for the same month later on? Like you said though, January-March have historically had some fairly large AAA games launch over the last few years.

Personally i would have delayed it until a quiet month is in sight, even if that meant going into Q2 2020 onwards. I know thats a very unpopular opinion but if i was them, id want the odds in my favor as much as possible so it succeeds.

Weird, I'll contact them then and find out what's going.

It was Amazon US for those asking.
You American? or ordered from Amazon US. I am From the US and if they charged does it say 0.00 dollars? It would be a placeholder to see if the account you have had funds. But i would chat with Amazon. When I get home i am checking my account.

The more the game is getting dalyed the tougher it gets in my humbly opinion. Games are eveloving rather fast and Shenmue 3 might not be able to keep up with the development. 2020 will get especially critical because we are in next gen territory. The August release would have been perfect but it is not going to happen. November is also quite critical thanks to the other games coming around that time.

It seems that Shenmue 3 will suffer the same fate as Shenmue . It will just get released around the wrong time, with too many other Things happen in the gaming world (the next gen consoles) that will take the Attention away from Shemue 3 undeserved. It might be Destiny that Shenmue has Always to fight these odds.

I will still get the game and support it, I am not intersted i the main stream stuff, Death Stranding looks boring and generic. I will give the new SW Game a try and also the new COD, but this won't stop me to Play S3 in December right after coming back to Austria from South Korea trip.

I think TLoU2 and FFVII will come later to be fair. The latter I don't expect until at least the second half of 2020. That said, it's really tough for publishers trying to pick an optimum date. They could announce it for January for February and then who knows what gets announced for the same month later on? Like you said though, January-March have historically had some fairly large AAA games launch over the last few years.

I'm of the opinion that TLOU 2 will probably be March-April...get it out before the end of financial year. Although, I could also see it not releasing until Summer as well. But then you've also got Ghost of Tsushima (who knows if that is a PS4 exclusive or cross gen title at this point?) to slot in there somewhere. Not to mention Microsoft's side. Who knows when Gears 5 and the next Halo are slotted for release?

Everything is a bit up in the air at the moment so who really knows when it's best to go. But I have to believe Deep Silver at least know something. They have analysts. They have inside info. Surely they must feel like its a decent date to go out. But who knows really? Everything is a bit up in the air right now.

Personally i would have delayed it until a quiet month is in sight, even if that meant going into Q2 2020 onwards. I know thats a very unpopular opinion but if i was them, id want the odds in my favor as much as possible so it succeeds.
The problem with this is what the hell do the devs do if the game is done by that point?

I hope no one takes this as a criticism, it honestly isn't a dig, but it's weird people have gone from "they can't afford to delay it until 2020, the hype for the PS5 and new XBox will overshadow it and end of generation fatigue will kick in" to "they absolutely must delay it until 2020 now".

I hope for the best either way.

Back