Kickstarter Update #100 - Shenmue III delayed until November 19th

The Miyamoto Quote is used way to often these days. No polish in the world could save the game from being crushed by Call of Duty, Days Stranding and Star Wars. These games have a very large fanbase, much larger then Shemmue, and no matter how bad these games are going to be People will still buy it. The People are way more sceptical towards Shenmue . If no Miracle is Happening, S4 will moved quite far a away. A pity.

I'm surprised by the reaction here. What's with all the negativity? The longer the wait, the more tense it gets to be honest. Give them time, and I'm sure you will all be blown away when it finally arrives. Be positive guys, the best is yet to come.

The delay doesn't bother me too much. Simply because I had a feeling it was coming. That other post today about the Steam Release Date kind of made me brace for it to be honest.

But it's natural to be a bit gutted, especially when we thought we were close to getting our hands on it. I can understand the disappointment. I really can.

On the one hand: If it needs more time then I'm happy to wait for it...I've already waited near 20 years as is, what's another few months?

On the other hand: it's hard not to feel a little gutted. And it's hard not to look at date and the two games its squished between and think "man, oh man that's an uphill battle"

Last edited:
The Miyamoto Quote is used way to often these days. No polish in the world could save the game from being crushed by Call of Duty, Days Stranding and Star Wars. These games have a very large fanbase, much larger then Shemmue, and no matter how bad these games are going to be People will still buy it. The People are way more sceptical towards Shenmue . If no Miracle is Happening, S4 will moved quite far a away. A pity.
Death Stranding, maybe, but I can't really see the Call of Duty crowd giving a crap about Shenmue either way. I think if Shenmue is going to expand its fanbase its going to be via people who are more into games like Persona and point and clicks.

The MAGIC trailer was from footage that is probably 4+ months old now and was clearly marked WIP, what do you think Ys Net have been doing?

Supposedly the Magic trailer was from January and I recall looking at that and saying to myself 'this game needs another year'. So November 19th is fairly close to that estimation.

These people were never going to buy it. No one bought the remaster either.

Any game that distracts the market from S3 is a bad Thing. The Marketing is really fickle These days. And Gamers and game journalists have become hyper critical These games. Any game that does similiar Things than S3 and looks better is a thread. As I am worried for the future of the Franchise this is bad.

Normaly I would not mind that much, About the delay. I am not able to Play in November anyway. I am in South Korea for 3 weeks in November on vacation. Not being able to Play the game till december. But that is ok.

The only Thing i am worried About is how well will Shenmue 3 do against the overhyped titles

Personally November works for me as I can't take leave in August, and if it means a better game then great.

But I can see why people would be upset. The announcement was quite blunt, they could have at least animated and voiced Goro delivering the bad news. A delay after giving a concrete date doesn't look good. I imagine tons of people made plans/arrangements around that release.

The announcement was quite blunt, they could have at least animated and voiced Goro delivering the bad news.

That would have really made some people's blood boil! They might as well include a coupon for pineapple pizza to "soften" the blow. :p

Do you really think the audience for any of those games is the audience for Shenmue 3? If the game is given the true Yu Suzuki polish and reviews incredibly, it'll sell. If it's a buggy mess, it won't, even if it releases on a day no other game comes out.

Cedric isn't publishing the game. I don't think he has any power over the release date. I remember him posting quite a few pics with Kojima over the years.

These people were never going to buy it. No one bought the remaster either.

Yes and no. Some People might not buy more than 1 game per month, and if nothing else is available they might have got Shenmue 3. In a month with overhyped titles they will get the overhyped title and not S3.

From a Marketing perspective not a very clever move

Let's just hope the People responsible for it, know what they are doing. Maybe they will surprise is all in a postive way. It is not impossible.

In the end we have to wait and see.

People werent going to magically pop and buy the game. I'll tell you what, if the game releasing in Late August is buggy with weird animations, not only the game wouldn't sell but it would be a laughing stock.

3D long adventure games are rather rare on PC. I still think Shenmue 3 on Steam banners would have been a good opportunity to be significantly visible and help the sales at this specific time.

So now it's quite clear that becoming a long seller is the real goal. Reachable but the game needs to get very good critics, hopefully from the three sides: people, youtubers and journalists.

I always welcome delays to further polish a game and I'm quite level headed, but releasing Shenmue 3 in November is plain stupid. I feel this for the following reasons

1) the hardcore fans are already going to buy the game regardless of the month and most likely already have purchased it from the kickstarter. A good release date like August or next year is to capture casual fans who will add to the fan base and give us the extra sales.

2) shenmue 3 can't compete for casuals when it's up against death stranding, call of duty, fifa etc etc. (insert big fall title here)

3) Shenmue 3 can't compete with the marketing of big AAA titles like the games above. The marketing hasn't been too hot thus far as it is

Etc

I'd adore suzuki and his team but the ppl in charge of the marketing and whoever pulled the trigger for November are screwing the series over and yu suzuki over.

Shenmue can sell big as seen by Shenmue 1

Shenmue 2 dc had a messed up release
Shenmue 2 xbox released on a system with no following
Shenmue HD released in a trash state with tons of bugs which did turn off a lot of ppl
Shenmue 3 releasing against AAA titles in the most competitive period of the year.

The reason new ips or remakes get released in quiet months is so they are not competing against the giants and all the attention can be focused on them for free.

I'd rather them release it next year when it's quiet again. Sorry if this rubs ppl the wrong way but I feel like the incompetence and constant stupid decision making of these ppl is setting the series and yu suzuki up to fail.

Why are these publishers always botching a Shenmue release?

#saveshenmue

Back