Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive For PC Version! Part 2

Sorry for the late reply, but I had to say the ramifications go beyond that.

First I'm certain people that think they were screwed (PC backers) won't return to back Shenmue 4, which will result in us not seeing the end of the story, again.

Second things were looking badly enough since the Sony involvement criticism, but now with Epic involved too there's no chance a future Kickstarter will get half the money they got on this one.

i know that people will now be extremely careful and probably there wont be a Kickstarter campaign for Shenmue 4
but we have absolutely no idea how much money any of these companies pumped into this.
we have no idea how much money Deep Silver provided, we have no idea what the deal with Sony is about,
we have no idea what Epic offered them.

so we cant do really anything, discussions about "what, if, maybe" dont help.
we just have to wait for official comments and then see if Shenmue 3 flops or not.
this Kickstarter Epic thing happened, it is how it is and the really really angry groups in the community
will stay angry. even if they will get a refund or whatever, they wont help out in another Shenmue Kickstarter project.

we just have to live with that and make the best out of it.
we can discuss about success or fails or its doomed all we want, it doesnt really change anything now
but we can still support this game and franchise.

I always thought crowdfunding Shenmue IV was a long shot before all of this happened. The perfect storm was never going to happen again.

Oh, 100%. There are tons of backers, even before the EGS fiasco, commenting on every update before now about this being a scam because they weren't showing gameplay, or what they had shown looking terrible, etc.

You won't have a surprise announcement on an E3 stage that gets people excited and buying into the hype of superfans via articles and reaction videos (Gametrailers/Michael Huber, etc.).

There are quite a lot of people that very clearly were expecting AAA quality on an AA budget, unrealistically, and they won't jump in again. Even the relatively intelligent/respectful, for lack of better descriptors, posters on NeoGAF and then ResetERA shit all over the game without an understanding of its situation and budget.

Frankly, if Shenmue IV (and a potential V, etc.) happen, I don't want them to be crowdfunded anyways. They should have enough clout after this, in a perfect world where the game reviews/sells decently well, to be picked up by a publisher from the moment they decide to make the game. This is assuming that SEGA themselves doesn't decide to get back in on the party. Heck, they may not want to make the game but tell YsNet, "no, you can't have the license again."

It's nice to dream. But it's not happening :/

Probably not, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the deal could have gone a long way to ensuring that the PC version is not a total financial flop. As you said earlier, Epic essentially seem to fork over pretty massive amounts guaranteeing X amount of sales. Looking at other deals Epic have made in recent times, this figure could potentially have been significant enough to go towards the funding of IV. Like I said above, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility.

I tell you what.... Epic has some big deep pockets. I would't be suprised at all if what @bcdcdude said was actually correct.
I mean, the deal they have has to be really good. To be willing to take all this kickstarter shit and still mantain the position... Even considering refunds... damn. The money must be real good! hahah
And you know what?! I'm happy for Suzuki. I hope he makes as much money has he can. Even if that means that some people will be mad.
Cause all that means better games for us to enjoy....

I think that's a pretty big stretch. I'd love it to be true, but unless you hear it direct from the source I'd keep that rumor to yourself.

I tell you what.... Epic has some big deep pockets. I would't be suprised at all if what @bcdcdude said was actually correct.
I mean, the deal they have has to be really good. To be willing to take all this kickstarter shit and still mantain the position... Even considering refunds... damn. The money must be real good! hahah
And you know what?! I'm happy for Suzuki. I hope he makes as much money has he can. Even if that means that some people will be mad.
Cause all that means better games for us to enjoy....

The truth is more simple: Deep Silver, the publisher, filled their pocket to reduce the risk and recoup costs.

If that's the case Epic is now my favourite game company and I don't even care.

Right? Me too! This would have been amazing:

"As part of our exclusivity deal, Epic Games has promised to fully fund Shenmue IV, and, if necessary, Shenmue V..."

Of course, I'd have to imagine that they would have said as much already if that was the case because it certainly would have quelled much of the initial anger and frustration.

That reminds me of the people who'd say stuff like, 'If every backer put in another $10 they'd have $100,000,000!'

Epic has big deep pockets but is not Santa Claus and wants to maximize the profit after that.

And nobody care about the fact those companies didn't move a finger during 15 years? I would like to know which made the first step between Ysnet and Deepsilver, and between YSnet/Deepsilver and Epic. Because coming after the hype and pointing the development team for the Epic decision, as Deepsilver did, makes me laugh. That's nice because they brought more money for Shenmue 3 but they should take in consideration the first 7 millions came from simple people who could be seen as investor. A small survey before taking that decision could have avoided all this mess.

Epic has big deep pockets but is not Santa Claus and wants to maximize the profit after that.

And nobody care about the fact those companies didn't move a finger during 15 years? I would like to know which made the first step between Ysnet and Deepsilver, and between YSnet/Deepsilver and Epic. Because coming after the hype and pointing the development team for the Epic decision, as Deepsilver did, makes me laugh. That's nice because they brought more money for Shenmue 3 but they should take in consideration the first 7 millions came from simple people who could be seen as investor. A small survey before taking that decision could have avoided all this mess.
Shenmue has long been called the game that sank Sega. I can't really blame any corporations for not wanting to produce the game without seeing proof the fans really wanted to put their money where their mouths were. We did in spades.

That's the saddest thing indeed. That some people here are willing to take the piss on the people who believed in Shenmue III first and give credits to a company that paid 3 months of developpements at best and gave money to the publisher (Deep Silver) to recoup part of their initial investment.

That's the saddest thing indeed. That some people here are willing to take the piss on the people who believed in Shenmue III first and give credits to a company that paid 3 months of developpements at best and gave money to the publisher (Deep Silver) to recoup part of their initial investment.
You don't know the deal. Only they know. It could be way better that what you're describing.

I think the only people who have a legal claim are those who changed their pledge to PC after it was initially announced that it would be on Steam.

Shenmue has long been called the game that sank Sega. I can't really blame any corporations for not wanting to produce the game without seeing proof the fans really wanted to put their money where their mouths were. We did in spades.

I agree but Sega was in a critical financial situation at that moment. I could understand for Deepsilver but Epic has a complete different situation for years.

You don't know the deal. Only they know. It could be way better that what you're describing.

I know far enough about how these Epic Store deals articulate. As I said, they're paying copies in advance. What does it mean ? It's the same as if X number of people bought the game. Let's say they paid 100k copies, that'd amount for 5 million dollars. But here's the tricky part: They've bought copies in advance. Which means Deep Silver is getting the money from those sales and YsNet a part of that money. Another additionnal thing to consider: Deep Silver and YsNet aren't getting a single cent from sales Epic already bought. Which means, all copies sold is basically Epic recouping their investment.

But if you want to imagine that Epic injected 20 millions of dollars and gave that to YsNet just for a year of exclusivity, whatever floats your boat.

I know far enough about how these Epic Store deals articulate. As I said, they're paying copies in advance. What does it mean ? It's the same as if X number of people bought the game. Let's say they paid 100k copies, that'd amount for 5 million dollars. But here's the tricky part: They've bought copies in advance. Which means Deep Silver is getting the money from those sales and YsNet a part of that money. Another additionnal thing to consider: Deep Silver and YsNet aren't getting a single cent from sales Epic already bought. Which means, all copies sold is basically Epic recouping their investment.

But if you want to imagine that Epic injected 20 millions of dollars and gave that to YsNet just for a year of exclusivity, whatever floats your boat.
You know as much as I do wich is nothing.
And unless they tell us, we may never do.
I was speculating and I said it. They could give as much as 200k or 200M. We just don't know.

Back