Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really isn’t that simple. The game will not be available for preorder on Steam for some time and so for steam keys to be issued it would require Steam to agree to issue early copies and Epic to agree to it even though they have paid for exclusivity. As per my post on the previous page, why on earth would either party agree to that?

It really isn’t that simple. The game will not be available for preorder on Steam for some time and so for steam keys to be issued it would require Steam to agree to issue early copies and Epic to agree to it even though they have paid for exclusivity. As per my post on the previous page, why on earth would either party agree to that?
probably just to honor the deal with the backers. That's a good justification i think.

probably just to honor the deal with the backers. That's a good justification i think.
Neither Steam nor Epic made any such deal with backers. Both parties would stand to lose financially were they to accept, so why would they willingly give up revenue when they are in no way obliged to do so?

The issue is that Pre-Orders have never been "open" on Steam, unlike Metro Exodus where Steam already made money from Pre-Orders before Epic pulled the rug out. I can't imagine Valve will be particularly accommodating with their server space/bandwidth when not even one copy of Shenmue 3 has been sold on Steam.. at that point its just free hosting for a developer who signed an exclusivity deal with a competitor.

backers are owed Steam keys, I just don't see how that is going to happen.

The issue is that Pre-Orders have never been "open" on Steam, unlike Metro Exodus where Steam already made money from Pre-Orders before Epic pulled the rug out. I can't imagine Valve will be particularly accommodating with their server space/bandwidth when not even one copy of Shenmue 3 has been sold on Steam.. at that point its just free hosting for a developer who signed an exclusivity deal with a competitor.

backers are owed Steam keys, I just don't see how that is going to happen.

They can still do like other crowdfunded Epic Store exclusives did: Give us the Steam key at a later date.

You think backers will be happy waiting an extra year after release?

Either give the choice. Heck, some crowdfunding gave an EGS key and promised a Steam key at release. Giving both. Why cant they do that ? They received money from Sony. They received money from Deep Silver. They received money from Epic. I think they can afford to generate a free key for people who paid hundreds of dollars.

If this is a 'timed exclusive' release for Epic Games, will we get Steam keys when the time lapses at a 'future date'?

Either give the choice. Heck, some crowdfunding gave an EGS key and promised a Steam key at release. Giving both. Why cant they do that ? They received money from Sony. They received money from Deep Silver. They received money from Epic. I think they can afford to generate a free key for people who paid hundreds of dollars.
Epic paid for exclusivity to drive players to their platform. They wouldn’t have done that had they thought that backers would be given a choice. Valve just got the rug pulled out from under them again. Why would they go out of their way to help a company that has just sided with a rival?

The only thing that I see happening is refunds being issued and based on their initial responses, I think it’s going to require legal action for that to come about.

Epic paid for exclusivity to drive players to their platform. They wouldn’t have done that had they thought that backers would be given a choice. Valve just got the rug pulled out from under them again. Why would they go out of their way to help a company that has just sided with a rival?

The only thing that I see happening is refunds being issued and based on their initial responses, I think it’s going to require legal action for that to come about.

Then it means YsNet sold their backers.

Then it means YsNet sold their backers.
Hence why so many people are mad. I can’t say I agree with some of the posts I’ve seen and the manner in which some have chosen to voice their anger, but I can certainly understand why they are angry.

I would rather have a 2020 Steam key too. Doubt it will happen.

... Or a drm-free version.

Last edited:
Hence why so many people are mad. I can’t say I agree with some of the posts I’ve seen and the manner in which some have chosen to voice their anger, but I can certainly understand why they are angry.

Some are indeed too extreme. But it doesn't change the fact that, yes, YsNet sold a part of their backers.

I guess nothing is going to help, so I will try and help myself. I will try to open up some lines of communication behind the scenes and try to help in some way.

I am in agreement that Kickstarter backers should indeed get what they were promised. I don't know who it was at this point, but I will try and find out more info and update as best I can.

I guess nothing is going to help, so I will try and help myself. I will try to open up some lines of communication behind the scenes and try to help in some way.

I am in agreement that Kickstarter backers should indeed get what they were promised. I don't know who it was at this point, but I will try and find out more info and update as best I can.

I wish you the best of luck with that Peter, although.....

Refunds are not going to be provided, their support is now sending messages like these:
vsRGAQ5.png

and..

kickstarter will not intervene:
4cifzLW.png

although it sounds like they will once enough people have mass reported them and looking at kickstarter comments.. they are getting mass reported.

if you can get any win out of this I'll be seriously impressed.. but I have a feeling all the legalise that YS Net have signed up to will dictate everything now.

If refunds are out, it seems offering Steam discs exclusively to backers at launch is the only option at this point.

I mean, at the point of tramsaction on KS or via Paypal, people paid for PC versions, not Steam versions... I'd love to know a lawyers take on this situation though and if the Fangamer fulfillment survey negates the KS/Slacker Backer orders/transactions.

If refunds are out, it seems offering Steam discs exclusively to backers at launch is the only option at this point.
I think Steam is out of the question, but a DRM free copy could be an option depending on the deal that was struck with Epic. I’d expect that Epic would have demanded that all backers be required to use EGS as part of the deal though.

almost 6000 upvotes on the main PC Gaming sub-reddit.

this is more attention than the game has ever received on any sub-reddit and it had to be like this... anyone with even a sliver of common sense when it comes to the gaming communities online would have predicted this outcome.... do they even pay for consultants or are Deep Silver really just that money hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back