Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we all calm down. Keep it civil.

We should keep it civil indeed. But it's still disappointing that part of the community is willing to shift the blame on another part of the community too :/

I mean, I know for a lot of you guys, it makes no difference. You're not even impacted by that. But at least, show some understanding toward the other part who is indeed impacted.

Seems like it's the current deal, a one year exclusivity on the EGS.
They did handle it in the worse way possible from a PR perspective.

I know it kind of sucks if you really want the game on Steam. But I don't think some of the reactions we're seeing are ok.
Many people are beyond angry. And all you have to do is download an app. (most of them probably already have it)
if not just download it. Stop whining. Roll with it if your a true fan.
If Suzuki did this, its because it was beneficial for Shenmue (financially speaking)
Roll with it and get screwed. No thank you.

Also, for the people here:
I'm not against the EGS exclusivity. You know what would've been a respectful way to handle this for everyone ?

Give backers Steam keys they were promised but sell the game on Epic Store only.

We should keep it civil indeed. But it's still disappointing that part of the community is willing to shift the blame on another part of the community too :/

I mean, I know for a lot of you guys, it makes no difference. You're not even impacted by that. But at least, show some understanding toward the other part who is indeed impacted.
From a personal level I'm trying to.

I can see why the controller issue, lack of cloud saves etc is an issue.

I'd take or leave achievements but that's me.

As I've said before we all care about this series and sometimes it boils over. I've certainly done it.

Discussion around the topic is by all means welcomed.

Ok Ghost Trick thanks for the effort to give all the Infos. Didn't know that. As I said just said I am a plain console gamer. I only played some RTS games like Age of Empires, and C&C in 90s. Same goes for some old RPG like Diablo, and Baldurs Gate. But that's it. All the other titles I played on consoles. Consoles had and still have to offer more than the PC. So I missed the rise of Steam and the reason why Steam is so popular these days.

Now we have to wait and see. Hope they give the backers the Steam Version and do not make Things any worse.

Last edited:
Ok Ghost Trick thanks for the effort to give all the Infos. Didn't know that. As I said just a plain console gamer. I only played some RTS games like Age of Empires, and C&C in 90s. Same goes for some old RPG like Diablo, and Baldurs Gate. But that's it. All the other titles I played on consoles. Consoles had and still have to offer more than the PC. So I missed the rise of Steam and the reason why Steam is so popular these days.

Now we have to wait and see. Hope they give the backers the Steam Version and do not make Things any worse.
With the confirmation that the game is coming to Steam eventually I don't see why they can't let those who backed it for Steam have it there and keep the general public orders closed until the set date exclusivity ends.

We shall see but this has been handled badly from a PR perspective no doubt.

In that case they should just offer a refund and move on. If they continue to deny a refund, it will follow the series and more importantly yu suzuki forever. Look at the megman/mighty no 9 guy.

Based on what? At this point, the only thing people paid for, whether it was via the Slacker Backer or Kickstarter, was a PC version. Steam was only mentioned after this event via Fangamer reward fulfillment surveys. At that point, transactions had already been processed previously for a PC version, not a Steam version. People paid for a PC version. Steam was mentioned because at the time of the backer reward surveys, it was the distribution platform of choice. Perhaps people might have a case if they altered their pledge or upgraded it and processed a new transaction via the Fangamer survey.

Had a very so/so sleep, and woke up to all sorts of messages. Then coming in here... I've just booked the rest of the week off work.

Still mostly affected by the reaction to be honest, and deeply saddened that there's just nothing that can be done to help the people who will now never let this go. They wont, including those who in reality don't really care that much, and are just jumping on the bandwagon and getting a kick out of the latest internet drama, which people in 2019 just love.

I don't really have much to add at this stage, except I will need to dig deep and try to get back to some sort of self happiness for this game that I had 24 hours ago whilst watching the new trailer. The reactions I am reading minute by minute, not just in here but across the entire internet still just give me a heartbroken feeling, and right now, I don't know how I can resolve that.

Are you incapable of reading, dude? We've already said repeatedly why the app is a piece of the shittiest-tier of garbage and why we refuse to use it. Period.

Also, I am a true fan, thank you very much, I just don't let video game franchises determine when I should undermine my own personal values, because games aren't the end-all, be-all for me, not even Shenmue. Maybe don't try playing arbiter of who is and who isn't a ahem "true fan," eh?
If it can handle Fortnite, prbably one of the most played games ever, it can handle Shenmue.
It can't be THAT BAD.

Last edited:
I know how you feel. Even with the news of an eventual Steam release, or even if, by some magic, you were able to play it on Steam on release day... large amounts of unnecessary damage has been done to the game's image online, and even the normally pretty agreeable Shenmue fanbase has been very harsh with each other and, Lord have mercy, on poor Yu Suzuki... on his birthday.

This whole situation has hurt hype, made everyone bothered, and stripped fans of the feeling that Shenmue 3 was for the fans as Deep Silver coats the game with its cold corporate garbage with the timed exclusivity and DLC, complete with season pass. It's just not the same atmosphere now. :(

Had a very so/so sleep, and woke up to all sorts of messages. Then coming in here... I've just booked the rest of the week off work.

Still mostly affected by the reaction to be honest, and deeply saddened that there's just nothing that can be done to help the people who will now never let this go. They wont, including those who in reality don't really care that much, and are just jumping on the bandwagon and getting a kick out of the latest internet drama, which people in 2019 just love.

I don't really have much to add at this stage, except I will need to dig deep and try to get back to some sort of self happiness for this game that I had 24 hours ago whilst watching the new trailer. The reactions I am reading minute by minute, not just in here but across the entire internet still just give me a heartbroken feeling, and right now, I don't know how I can resolve that.

whether people's reactions are warranted or not; YS Net and Deep Silver knew this would happen and went ahead with the deal anyway; I mean christ, recently developers and publishers have actively started avoiding exclusivity deals with Epic due to the negative PR and YS Net just walk right into it like a bumbling fool.

Its a bit like how everyone wanted the Original Shenmue logo and they agreed with a kickstarter update showing they are going to use the original logo; then 5 minutes later Yu Suzuki decided to scrawl something that frankly looks terrible on box art, promotional material etc... Either everyone is just "yes men" around Yu Suzuki and not feeding anything back to him; or he's just out of touch/tone deaf.

if they don't come out very soon and say backers still get Steam keys this is going to drag on and get much worse over the coming days... the whole "this is for the fans" shtick the kickstarter was based around doesn't seem so genuine when your signing exclusivity deals, releasing multiple collectors editions, additional DLC passes etc.... right at the last minute....

Last edited:

Yes man. I feel you. Seeing all those coments and deslikes in Shenmue and Yu san videos it really sucks.
Let's hope they do something about it. And at leat the Steam version is given to those who backed it on kickstarter.
That would be a solution.

Imagine how I feel. I hate what's happening. I want the game to succeed. I want the game to generate a lot of interest. Yet I'm one of those people concerned by that. It's like being spit on the face by the person you're defending against the others.

It just baffles me on so many level... They had so many ways to make things right. Backers already paid their game. It makes no difference for Deep Silver, Epic or YsNet on what product they give us.

The obvious solution was the following:
  • Backers/Pre-orders get their Steam version
  • The game sold to customers is sold on EGS only.
That was painfully easy and a respectful way to sort things out.

I mean, what do they gain by doing that to backers ? We already paid the game 4 years ago. I gave them 300 dollars already.

Imagine how I feel. I hate what's happening. I want the game to succeed. I want the game to generate a lot of interest. Yet I'm one of those people concerned by that. It's like being spit on the face by the person you're defending against the others.

It just baffles me on so many level... They had so many ways to make things right. Backers already paid their game. It makes no difference for Deep Silver, Epic or YsNet on what product they give us.

I agree with your solution.
Its a good way of resolving things,

I mean, what do they gain by doing that to backers ? We already paid the game 4 years ago. I gave them 300 dollars already.
What makes you think that this was ever an option?

Epic no doubt ponied up some cash for this exclusivity deal. Their aim is not to make money, but to grow their platform. I’d wager that the pre-order (copies pre-purchased by backers as part of their pledges) will make up at least half of all PC sales of the game (if not more after this fiasco). Allowing backers to get steam copies would make this deal worth a hell of a lot less for Epic Games.

On the other hand, Steam have been dealt a sizeable blow with the announcement of this deal. I don’t know how much they would have made per backer sale, but I’d wager we’re not talking about an insignificant amount. Aside from that, this deal directly strengthens a company that could soon become a major threat to them. Why on earth would they volunteer to help out when they could just sit back and watch the flames.

This was always the way this was going to go down. DS knew that when they signed the deal and YSNet either knew or were too incompetent to question it.

Last edited:
How does it work with Steam and EGS? Are they able to easily provide a Steam version to backers or is extra work required? I'm wondering if it really is an easy fix that Deep Silver/YSNet are being too obtuse to consider?

How does it work with Steam and EGS? Are they able to easily provide a Steam version to backers or is extra work required? I'm wondering if it really is an easy fix that Deep Silver/YSNet are being too obtuse to consider?

It is an easy fix. They can always make keys for backers. Call them pre-order keys and it's fine. Or even beta keys.

What makes you think that this was ever an option?

Epic no doubt ponied up some cash for this exclusivity deal. Their aim is not to make money, but to grow their platform. I’d wager that the pre-order (copies pre-purchased by backers as part of their pledges) will make up at least half of all PC sales of the game (if not more after this fiasco). Allowing backers to get steam copies would make this deal worth a hell of a lot less for Epic Games.

On the other hand, Steam have been dealt a sizeable blow with the announcement of this deal. I don’t know how much they would have made per backer sale, but I’d wager we’re not talking about an insignificant amount. Aside from that, this deal directly strengthens a company that could soon become a major threat to them. Why on earth would they volunteer to help out when they could just sit back and watch the flames.

This was always the way this was going to go down. DS knew that when they signed the deal and YSNet either knew or were to incompetent to question it.

Backers already paid money. Neither Valve nor Epic are seeing a cent from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back