MAGIC Monaco Press Conference - 9th March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say in contrary to most here I very much dislike the Lan Di model for Shenmue III. He just doesn`t look like Lan Di at all to me. He looks like a random dude with a pigtail weirdly attached to his normal hair.

Thinks I`d change:

-Jawline should be wider.
-hair at the top should be flatter (which is natural when you tie your hair up)
-eyes don`t look menacing/cold at all (he looks a bit sad)
-eye brows should be thicker
-whole face should be wider
-hair where his pigtail starts look very weird (should be slimmer because of how the hair is tied up)
-body looks too buff over all

But all this I already mentioned on the trailer he was featured in. I had the same thought there as well and I don`t think he improved at all. Especially the hair looks embarrassingly bad.

EDIT:

Here a quick comparison:

View attachment 2014

No no no no. Shenmue III model looks miles better. Take off the nostalgia goggles

There's recieving a triple A budget for your game and then there's yu suzuki working his asss off 24/7 sleeping in his office. In my opinion the latter will produce the better results due to the heart, passsion and work ethic for the project.

Amazed at what theyve put together so far. This is a bloody kickstarter game. Wow.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Magic Monaco will livestreaming this year and if so where?

People saying this Lan Di looks like Ryo are thinking of the Passport Ryo, which always looked weird to me.

This Lan Di is a lot better than the one revealed 5 months ago, but I would agree that the Dreamcast model had better facial features, sharper, more menacing.

But he looks good enough that I'd find it an acceptable replacement.

There's recieving a triple A budget for your game and then there's yu suzuki working his ass off 24/7 sleeping in his office. In my opinion the latter will produce the better results due to the heart, passion and work ethic for the project.

Amazed at what theyve put together so far. This is a bloody kickstarter game. Wow.

There’s cash and there’s care. Yu Sukuzi-sama and the creative team realIze the artistic and cultural legacy Shenmue can leave for the world. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Shenmue saga exhibited in a museum one day.

View attachment 2025 Something I just quickly made.
A bit of an eh comparison in my opinion. You can make anyone look kinda like Ryo by shopping their face onto his body & hair. Here's Nicolas Cage taking on the roll for example:
c18f1c44c1.png

It doesn't help either that they're both in the same video game which makes them similar from a graphics style perspective.

Lan-Di and Ryo are just as distinct as they were in Shenmue I & II.

A bit of an eh comparison in my opinion. You can make anyone look kinda like Ryo by shopping their face onto his body & hair. Here's Nicolas Cage taking on the roll for example:
c18f1c44c1.png

It doesn't help either that they're both in the same video game which makes them similar from a graphics style perspective.

Lan-Di and Ryo are just as distinct as they were in Shenmue I & II.
Lol you joker

Found this on the 500k
FB_IMG_1550650591280.jpg

They've definitely bulked Lan-di up a bit. The robe looks great and has lots of little intricacies that the DC model doesn't.

Now the face. Yes it's different but I like it. The shot of the DC model looks menacing but there's nothing to say the new model won't have that look come release. 6 months on from the prophecy trailer and Lan-Di looks great. Plenty of time for minor tweaks.

Maybe they are going for a more human side to him? Deep down there might be regret and now self-doubt. The new model has scope for this idea and is why I think it's going to be better long term I think.

Buzzing is an understatement here!

Also Cedric tweeted again nothing new but getting the hype going

Wow! I just love how it looks! It has indeed that atmosphere feel Suzuki told about. You can see the mist near the ground, reflections of the sun, the light is very brilliant in the whole scene... I love the colours, I'm a bit bored of todays games colours, they are so oscure and grey, these pictures brings me back to the old good Sega days in 90's.

It's curious that the city they have showed the most is Chobu, we don't know a thing about Baisha and very little about Bailu, i'm sure they are keeping something very especial about Baisha and the great wall!

Found this on the 500k
View attachment 2027

They've definitely bulked Lan-di up a bit. The robe looks great and has lots of little intricacies that the DC model doesn't.

Now the face. Yes it's different but I like it. The shot of the DC model looks menacing but there's nothing to say the new model won't have that look come release. 6 months on from the prophecy trailer and Lan-Di looks great. Plenty of time for minor tweaks.

Maybe they are going for a more human side to him? Deep down there might be regret and now self-doubt. The new model has scope for this idea and is why I think it's going to be better long term I think.

Remember, Lan Di quite easily picked up Ryo with one hand. Under that robe, he's secretly has the physique of Mr Muscles.

Found this on the 500k
View attachment 2027

Good points. The previous Lan Di does look like a psychopathic caricature to some extent, and they may be adjusting the character towards a more realistic aesthetic that’s more believable for the story. Still lots of time for tweaks, so we shall see.

Wow! I just love how it looks! It has indeed that atmosphere feel Suzuki told about. You can see the mist near the ground, reflections of the sun, the light is very brilliant in the whole scene... I love the colours, I'm a bit bored of todays games colours, they are so oscure and grey, these pictures brings me back to the old good Sega days in 90's.

It's curious that the city they have showed the most is Chobu, we don't know a thing about Baisha and very little about Bailu, i'm sure they are keeping something very especial about Baisha and the great wall!

Indeed, the brighter contrasts and tones are a breath of fresh air from the usual gray and grime of today’s AAA games. Will be interesting to see the scenic auras under a wider range of weather. We most definitely are in for some special scapes.

The colours actually remind me a bit of Horizon Zero Dawn, which is another bright and vivid, semi-realistic open world game.

I'm looking at the boat scene in full-screen 4K, and much like the other promo screenshots it looks like in-game assets, just rendered out with max AA, AO etc. If you have a powerful PC I expect you'll be able to get results very similar to this. PS4 shouldn't be too far behind either, because there's really nothing crazy going on here from a technical perspective.

I find it kind of weird that we're still getting "scenic" shots void of NPCs but whatever...all will be revealed soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back