Magic Monaco Press Conference March 9th 2019 Part 2 Discussion and Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
is the forum working now?

there are some small mistakes in the trailer.
you can see some icons with japanese text and keyboard commands on screen and at some point
there is a mouse cursor in the middle of the screen.

i know this sounds like an excuse but i really think that this trailer is really more like a update for Backers
and not a trailer to present the game worldwide.

there are recording errors, there is no release date,
no PEGI / USK / ESRB rating pending logo and Deep Silver isnt uploading the trailer on their official site.
so this is not a trailer from Deep Silver to promote the game worldwide.

The Prophecy trailer was a official DS trailer with the PEGI logo.

Mixed emotions. I've watched the trailer, read all the reactions on here and on ResetERA, and my opinion is probably mostly positive, but with reservations. Some of the trailer is fantastic and looks very good. Cinematic, with awesome dialogue and ultimately feeling very Dreamcast-era AM2 and authentically "Shenmue". I love Shenhua, Ryo and Lan Di for example and the combat looks spectacular, like Virtua Fighter, which is what you'd expect from Yu Suzuki.

On the other hand, the trailer doesn't competently and proficiently show off the status and brilliance of the game - as in previous more polished screenshots, even months old ones, look better and indicate a superior game. Meaning I think they let themselves down with this trailer, as in it's not representative of the final product which I think is actually miles better than we're led to believe here. They needed something to wow us, with more story and something to engage the hype thrusters.

Honestly I think a delay is coming, and given some aspects of the game still look rough, that'd be a blessing. I think the game might need another 6 months, as in the time left they have isn't sufficient enough to rectify some aspects that still need work, like inconsistently designed NPCs and facial animation. I'd honestly be happy if they announced a delay.

Ultimately what I mean is, the game they actually have that we've seen in stills is superior and more wow-worthy than this trailer would infer, meaning I think it's more the trailer's fault for garnering a mostly positive, but still quite divisive, lukewarm and worried reaction, as the actual game we've seen from screenshots is far more impressive. Even the warehouse gameplay screenshot we have blows everything in this trailer out of the water. So I think they needed to produce a stronger trailer. This one doesn't seem to be all that professional nor truly indicative of the quality of the game.

I don't want to dwell on negativity. As I said I was mostly pleasantly surprised and pleased overall. The dialogue and interactions, the world, the combat, it's all very Shenmue and quite great and makes me excited for the game.

So mixed emotions. Mostly positive, but the game stills needs work, and more time, so I hope that happens.

For context, the gap between this and Gamescom 2018 was 8 months. They've got like 5 months left before they have to go Gold to meet the current release date. Many of the complaints with The Prophecy trailer have been proven to be fixed/improved with this one, so y'know. Those remaining months can be very, very productive.

I wouldn't call time on a delay right now, honestly. I have my suspicions, but the fact it hasn't been announced yet makes me think it's up in the air and not a sure thing yet.

They specifically mentioned the release date during the conference. I don't expect a delay. This is just a short version of the full trailer that only some journalists saw. Maybe all of the release date and rating info was on that one instead.

Heh rerez deleted the video, probably after I commented saying that the animations look perfectly fine, and that there isn't 'Zero facial animations'. I was like "First hot take video I've ever disliked".

They specifically mentioned the release date during the conference. I don't expect a delay. This is just a short version of the full trailer that only some journalists saw. Maybe all of the release date and rating info was on that one instead.
Oh really? Guess I missed that bit, but I did tune out in the talky bits tbh.

Still in any case 5 months can be used productively. Anybody expecting sweeping change is probably not gonna get it, but that's plenty of time to spruce up the animations.

there are some small mistakes in the trailer.
you can see some icons with japanese text and keyboard commands on screen and at some point
there is a mouse cursor in the middle of the screen.
When is that?

FYI, I ran the trailer through my analysis tool (related: analysis of previous trailer) and this one has a locked 30fps. No dropped frames to be found, except when it's intentional. (Fades to black, logos, etc.) After the previous trailer this seems like a positive sign, except the previous trailer had signs of being captured from PS4 whereas this one only has the bit with the PS4 HUD as the only obvious one.
i know this sounds like an excuse but i really think that this trailer is really more like a update for Backers
and not a trailer to present the game worldwide.
When DualShockers posted their article about this trailer, they mentioned this is not the full trailer. It's a preview of a longer one. I suspect that Deep Silver might use the complete version for whatever promotional event is next. (Meaning next time we see more, it could be outdated footage again.)

I'm just really glad they showed some of the combat gameplay, it looks good and between that and the Edge article I'm being led to believe this will be a very old school Shenmue experience, and if they do that I'll be happy. I don't care if the animations are a little stiff or the graphics aren't AAA, Shenmue 1 & 2 are a little stiff and their graphics have aged but that doesn't make them any less as games. Shenmue isn't a game about graphics, it's a game about presenting a compelling story of Kung Fu mixed in with getting to visit a living breathing recreation of 1980's Japan/China (mostly China now obviously). That's what I'm playing for, if they deliver that I'll be happy.

Well okay I also want gambling and collecting...

When is that?

FYI, I ran the trailer through my analysis tool (related: analysis of previous trailer) and this one has a locked 30fps. No dropped frames to be found, except when it's intentional. (Fades to black, logos, etc.) After the previous trailer this seems like a positive sign, except the previous trailer had signs of being captured from PS4 whereas this one only has the bit with the PS4 HUD as the only obvious one.

When DualShockers posted their article about this trailer, they mentioned this is not the full trailer. It's a preview of a longer one. I suspect that Deep Silver might use the complete version for whatever promotional event is next. (Meaning next time we see more, it could be outdated footage again.)

in the trailer at 01:40 there is a mouse cursor in the middle between both characters
01:57 icon on the top left "Shift + F1"

I’m expecting a delay after watching the trailer a few times. I hope I’m wrong and I’m not trying to sound negative. But it looks like there’s still a lot of work to be done.

Is this forum alive and kicking again?

Alright...let's do this.

Positives:

-- I quite dig the look of it. I know some people are saying "oh it looks cartooney" but I kind of dig the look to it. It reminds me of a modern day Dreamcast game. The character models are Shenmue as all hell and I kind of love it. Also gives me Tekken 7 vibes for whatever reason. Mainly because Tekken 7 also has that very anime cartoon look about it. But yeah, I dig it. I like the fact that it's not hyper realistic and has a bit of a style to it. I feel like too many games strive for ultra realism so it's nice to have a game that looks different to everything else. And it feels like Shenmue to me.

-- I marked so damn hard for Ryo vs Pai!!!! I am a huge Virtua FIghter mark so of course the sight of the Pai look alike made me mark out. I know it's not Pai but considering Shenmue started off as Virtua Fighter RPG, it might as well be Pai :)

-- I love the fact that we see Ryo in serious peril for the first time and that the big guy mocks his kung fu. Also did anyone notice the stack of bodies laying on the ground in that opening scene? Shit got real!

-- All in all, it feels like Shenmue to me. A lot of little beats in there as well. As I already expected, we're gonna learn so much more about Iwao in this game. And that excites me the most because I'm absolutely fascinated about what happened with Iwao and Lan Di's father and what their history was.

-- The fighting looked pretty good...again, gave me Shenmue vibes.

-- I'm extremely happy that it wasn't just more of the same. No more cave, no more Shenhua and Ryo walking and pointing. There was actual meat here and some real tease as to what is to come.

Negatives:

-- Some of the lip syncing seemed not quite right to me. It seemed like there was a bit of delay between the audio and lip sync. I know this is a game with a budget so I'm not expecting AAA qualities of facial animation and while it does look better than the initial teaser trailer, I still can't help but feel that some of the lip syncing just didn't look all that great here.

-- Still a little bummed that we aren't seeing actual gameplay. Well actual gameplay is the wrong term since a lot of this was probably in game. What I mean, I want to see it played as a game. Meaning show me a slice of the game being played in real time with someone actively controlling it. But hey, it's not the end of the world and I am well aware there is more to come of Shenmue III...but still, can't help but feel a little bummed we didn't get that today.

-- For the most part, I think Ryo looks fine...but there are still slight things that bother me about his character model. His hands look really big. Almost comically oversized in proportion to his body. Maybe that's just a nitpick, but yeah. I think his model for the most part looks fine but there are some slight things that still bother me a little.

But all in all, I kinda dug it. It gave me real Shenmue vibes. Everything about it was Shenmue as all hell and I couldn't help but smile. The good outweighs the negative for me and yeah, I continue to wait for more. I like what I see so far.

How that translates outside of the Shenmue fanbase? I don't know....I genuinely don't know...realistically I don't know if people will be impressed by any of what they saw today....but as a Shenmue fan? I'm kinda happy with what I'm seeing here.

As for the release date...will it make August 27th? My gut is still telling me that it won't. I'm fully expecting another delay incoming. I'll be shocked if I'm wrong, but for some reason, I just see another delay incoming. But will wait and see.

I'd be curious to see impressions from those who were shown the game in motion at MAGIC though.

Last edited:
So how many times have you guys watched the trailer so far?
Over a dozen times at the end of the trailer the Shenmue theme sounds beautiful. I used to watch so many Kung Fu movies where the Master trains someone and I love how in Shenmue 3 you will be trained by really cool Master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back