Magic Monaco Press Conference March 9th Part 3 More Reaction

Here's a fun exercise: what would any of you cut to save on the budget of Shenmue III compared to the originals?

Genuine question.

EDIT: Actually, in the interest of taking this on in good faith, it's not a genuine question. It's an attempt to make some of you see compromises have to come from somewhere.

Reduce the number of NPCs? Great, then get criticised for having a world that feels spartan and under-populated.

Reduce the playing size to compensate? Great, then get criticised for small towns.

The point is, you can't really win.

Whilst I do completely agree with the sentiment, given the game's limited budget, I agree with the member who said the other day they would have stuck with the Japanese voice track and not pursued an additional English dub. That said, I do not work in video games development and I do not know the complexities involved. Would limiting yourself to one voice track free up enough cash, time and resources to allow yourself to implement voice work for every character? Would it allow you to add other aspects that are currently not in the game? Would facial animations and character models be better? Maybe, but maybe not.

Gameblog fr

More than 500 NPCs are present in the game. It is however not possible to interact with each one of them. Those with whom it is possible to speak have their name appearing on the screen.

These are contextual, so we notice that the button B turns into a small mouth when approaching a character that we can talk. We also notice a novelty: the appearance of the names of the characters when approaching

Where did the first paragraph come from? It's not in the Gameblog article and I don't remember this neither.

Last edited:
Where did the first paragraph come from? It's not in the Gameblog article and I don't remember this neither.

thats not from the Gameblog fr S3 game session article,
its from the article they released before that and i think those are "facts"
from people of ResetEra who translated the japanese article.
so its just a "retweet"

Whilst I do completely agree with the sentiment, given the game's limited budget, I agree with the member who said the other day they would have stuck with the Japanese voice track and not pursued an additional English dub. That said, I do not work in video games development and I do not know the complexities involved. Would limiting yourself to one voice track free up enough cash, time and resources to allow yourself to implement voice work for every character? Would it allow you to add other aspects that are currently not in the game? Would facial animations and character models be better? Maybe, but maybe not.
Hard to really say whether no English dub would have freed up enough money, but it comes with its own downfalls as you risk limiting the market you can appeal to without an English dub (sad, but true), and alienating those who wanted to see the English cast return.

Shenmue III's development was likely a series of Catch 22s the team had to work through, and you'd think by now that reality would have finally settled in permanently with people having made their peace with it... literally years ago.

I think that the voice acting is important to get more People play the game. Some People are not happy with subtitles so it helpts to attract more customers.

I am by no means a expert so it is hard to tell if the Budget that was used for the dub could have used better in another place of the game. Maybe yes maybe no. Somehow I doubt it though. Shenmue 3 is a super ambitious Project and without almost unlimited funds there will be always drabwbacks.

The game might could have turned out better no doubt about that, I am still pleased with the results we have seen so far.

Shenmue 3 is going it's own path in game design and it does not try to emulate the bigger Budget games in the Look. A batttle it would lose anway I am afraid.

So Yu and his Team have done Things right so far. At least in my book.

The thing is, this ain't no big town or city anymore. Ryo is deep into rural china. In rural areas people tend to be much friendlier and helpful haha

Or they just stare at you, speaking from experience. I'd be happy with NPCs who you cannot interact with to just go on about their business or if you try to engage them they just stare at Ryo. Some tsktsking would be nice but I'm ok with money being spent elsewhere.

If the chinese market embraces shenmue SEGA would be a fool to not back Yu Suzuki up. Everybody and thier grandma is trying to tap into the China markets rite now. Not only will Yu suzuki kill 2 birds with one stone, for us the fans...the series can end on a AAA-production value finale as well. Which no doubt would be glorious and remove the only eye-sore blemish off Yu's track record.

This. If they could gain popularity in China then we'll be seeing SIV for sure.

Hard to really say whether no English dub would have freed up enough money, but it comes with its own downfalls as you risk limiting the market you can appeal to without an English dub (sad, but true), and alienating those who wanted to see the English cast return.

Shenmue III's development was likely a series of Catch 22s the team had to work through, and you'd think by now that reality would have finally settled in permanently with people having made their peace with it... literally years ago.

I made my peace with it the second it was announced as a KS game. It's a shame some could not, but we all have different opinions we're entitled to. I saw comments the other day saying "If they couldn't [insert thing], they shouldn't have bothered" which I will never understand, nor agree with.

Or they just stare at you, speaking from experience. I'd be happy with NPCs who you cannot interact with to just go on about their business or if you try to engage them they just stare at Ryo. Some tsktsking would be nice but I'm ok with money being spent elsewhere.

Exactly, the NPC’s who don’t interact could just simply tisk and/or look or turn away from Ryo to non-verbally communicate their disinterest in order to help cut costs, if need be. You’ll find folks like that anywhere.

Last edited:
I don't understand why everyone's arguing and I think scrolling back and reading it all would be too much effort.

Main thing people are/were debating in the earlier threads was the art style/character design.Then it seems to have moved on to Voiced/mute npcs.

Main problem though is you get kids like van joel sandwich and other users, and even it seems like Peter, the site owner, attacking people that dare to not like everything about Shenmue 3 that we have seen.

Peter verbally dissing someone because they basically said voiced npcs was not 'window dressing' but added to the world (my own tldr of what he said) Heres a screenshot:

Seems some people didnt even play the games, yet own a site about them....

stay calm to make the right decision ... Judge yourself without conceit.

I wonder whether Yu would agree that judging others without conceit is also how you should act? Id wager he would.

Folks, the game is still under development. Each new footage of the game clearly demonstrates Yu Suzuki’s game design philosophy of outer to inner development. We saw how early the outer environments were refined and now they’re working towards refining the inner character models, animations, and expressions. Look at this lovely progress...

Everything will be refined to the Shenmue standards we know and love. Have faith in Yu Suzuki-sama and the creative team. They show significant progress every video, and I’m sure the final official trailer will wow us all towards release.

That 'Mr. Muscles' is still among the ugliest character I've ever seen.

Mullet-guy, right? I have to agree, despite his rather true to form Mongolian wrestling costume. Still, will be fun to try and beat him. Maybe he is the first one you get a chance to beat? You know, that "first battle that most players would lose."

Mullet-guy, right? I have to agree, despite his rather true to form Mongolian wrestling costume. Still, will be fun to try and beat him. Maybe he is the first one you get a chance to beat? You know, that "first battle that most players would lose."
Different dude.

Mr Muscles is:

sn2vfkxc.jpg

The muscular guy in the trailer reminds me of the Poison Brothers. He looks fine imo.

IMO, when it comes to compromise, where the axe has fallen so far is a miracle. Given that for 14 long years, the Dojo was populated by increasingly hopeless and desperate fans who would've taken a manga, a book, Yu's scrawl on a dirty napkin - literally anything to complete the story... To complain that not every NPC can be interacted with?! Come on! For 14 years we would've done ANYTHING to have Shenmue III with such a 'compromise'! Let's regain some perspective here.

The most recent trailer was gorgeous. That it's being made to this standard, on a limited budget, and STILL oozes that unique Shenmue vibe is incredible.

Of course we all want Shenmue III to retain every feature of its predecessors. But Yu Suzuki is a master of his craft, and I fully expect III to be an immersive and beautiful experience, polished to perfection, and with a myriad of improvements to make up for any changes imposed by its development / financial boundaries. We know these boundaries have already been hugely expanded since July 2015, thanks to the involvement of Deep Silver. We also know that Yu has been known to sleep in his office, such is his dedication to realizing this vision - a dream he's pursued since the 90's.

Whatever Yu brings us in Shenmue III, I believe it will be everything he can possibly, humanly deliver and if there is ever a compromise to be made, I think we owe Yu our 100% trust that he'll make it work and it'll still be Shenmue.

Back