Magic Monaco Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what AAA games are actually planned for the end of this year. The release schedule is look pretty barren to me... I doubt The Last of Us 2 will make it out this year.

I am not against a delay if it helps to improve the quality but I seriously hope there won't be any delay. the summer release is perfect. No other great story driven games on the Horizon around that time besides Jugdment. But this cannot be said about the last half of the year. Nodby knows what is going on from september to october 2019.

A potential Last of US 2 or Ghost of Tsuhsima release would kill the the hype about Shenmue 3. we also need to consider the potential hype about the next gun stuff. This could also be very harmful to shenmue 3 .

I do not want that history repeat itself and that Shenmue 3 is hurt by the playstation 5 hype, the same way the ps release hype harmed the original Shenmue a lot.

I wouldn't discount stuff being announced throughout the year to fill up that end of year slaughterhouse. Even in a slow year it's a risk putting out a AA game during a period traditionally dominated by the biggest AAA titles around. It's even managed to push other AAA games further out into January/February/March/April to escape the crush. August is a great spot to release in, which is why I assume it was chosen.

Announcing the release date a year out was a bold move, but it does indicate some level of confidence in being able to hit it. If it was a drastically unrealistic timeframe, there's no way it would have been announced with an actual date. They could have coasted on that "coming 2019" window for a considerable amount of time until something could be pinned down.

I do not want that history repeat itself and that Shenmue 3 is hurt by the playstation 5 hype, the same way the ps release hype harmed the original Shenmue a lot.
It's a different scenario IMO.

Hype around new hardware from the same manufacturer is a lot less cannibalistic than, say, hype for a competitor's product. If the new Xbox gets some white-hot hype that puts a huge dent in hardware and software sales on PS4, then maybe there's a problem. I'm not so sure you could replicate what happened between the Dreamcast and pre-launch PS2 these days anyway.

That's not even discounting the potential that PS5 could play PS4 games.

It wouldn't even surprise me if they're so sure of that release date, because they have scheduled to finish it well in advance of the date and it was Deep Silver who wanted it out in August, or maybe it is for logistical reasons so they can have additional time to process rewards to ensure backers aren't screwed over waiting after retail release. Or maybe I'm way off with both theories.

@Spaghetti
Although it is true that it won't be as as fierce as then, (the tech is not evolving as fast as it did back then) some distraction in form of the next gen can be still bad. S3 needs any possible form of attention to bring the series to the top.

I think these two guys have a point here. This is yet another PR blunder, even though not a major one. But still, if you have a trailer which includes gameplay for a game of which no gameplay has been shown so far, your main message needs to be "Hey everyone, we've got a trailer with gameplay in it coming" and not making it sound like gameplay was only to be shown to a few select people behind closed doors.

It's a good thing they asked Cedric about it and Cedric took the feedback and clarified the whole matter. He could have avoided the backlash in the first place by sending out a clear message but we're all good now.

What happened here was: Unclear message from Cedric ---> valid criticism -----> clarification from Cedric -----> everybody's happy.

No need to get mad at Matt and Andrew. Just because they're Shenmue fans doesn't mean they can't critizise anything related to Shenmue. We need to stop being overly protective of Shenmue and Yu. Neither Yu nor Cedric nor anyone else involved in making this game is infallible and valid and constructive criticism is a good thing.

Honestly where did this "Don't criticize the critic" mentality come from? It's one thing if the admins here banned anyone who had a negative opinion of Shenmue, Yu, or Cedric but that isn't what's happening. A dialogue is supposed to be a give and take. Just like how optimism can be blinding so can cynicism and yet people are willing to be more accommodating to cynicism without question. Criticism of critics can ironically improve their criticism and actually make it more constructive. But not if we shield critics under the "You just can't handle criticism of your opinions!" banner.

As for the whole Cedric situation, a simple inquiry or request for clarification is good enough. Also this isn't to say that I haven't been critical of the way Shenmue has been handled because I have. However for dialogue to really happen both sides should not be immune from critique and that includes critics.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a delay--5 months is still a good chunk of time to perfect the product.

The extensive trailer coming at MAGIC must be up-to-date(still WIP is fine, but current build), include some gameplay and offer a lot of details(was every goal reached for Yu's vision, as he stated the deal with DS would allow).

It doesn't have to be jaw dropping, but it cannot be bare bones.

As far as character models, those can literally be tweaked all the way to going Gold, honestly. I expect it to.

A potential Last of US 2 or Ghost of Tsuhsima release would kill the the hype about Shenmue 3. we also need to consider the potential hype about the next gun stuff. This could also be very harmful to shenmue 3 .

I really don't think The Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima will be this Summer.

I think if either of those games were Summer releases then Sony would have announced dates by now. But so far, we have no clue when either of those games are.

As for The Last of Us 2, I don't see them releasing this summer simply because it's too close to Day's Gone and I don't know if they'd really want to cannibalize their other apocalypse themed game. Right now, they've been all about Day's Gone coverage on their Youtube channel and I think the marketing push has started for that game considering it's out in April.

I think the reason the first game was a summer release was simply because they were trying to desperately avoid the big fall release of that year which was Grand Theft Auto V.

I actually think if TLOU 2 is out this year then I could see them announcing the date mid year (once we're passed Day's Gone) and releasing in the fall...or at worst they go early 2020 and leave Ghost of Tsushima as their big fall release for this year.

But I don't really think TLOU 2 will be a summer release. I just can't see them releasing that close to Days Gone and if they were then I think the date would be known by now.

Last edited:
I've read the interview of Cedric Biscay on télé Monaco magazine, nothing interesting in it (we will show the progress of the game at the Magic, world exclusive, blah blah... ).
I guess we just have to wait :)

I think your first-party this year will be Days Gone, Dreams and Ghosts of Tsushima for 2019. Great, stellar games and more than enough to carry the year. None of them will be around Shenmue, so I think it'll sell quite well.

TLOU2?

Personally, I don't believe so. That being said, it is obvious TLOU2 will be the swan song for this generation, just like the original for the PS3.

Whenever it lands, you can be certain the PS5 is 4 to 6 months behind it.

Of all the spectacle of E3 2015, only Shenmue III will appear as it was intended to on it's platform. It is reasonable to assume that FFVII-R is definitively a PS5 title now.

I think Ghosts of Tsushima is the main concern, TLOU2 definately not happening this year and Shenmue 3 is different enough from Days Gone to set it apart. I hope Shenmue 3 can bank on how unique it is in the 2019 line up.

To those that don't think there's any real chance of another delay, would you be fine if there was one? Or would you be upset? Hypothetically, of course...

I'd be disappointed. My main concern is the PS5 is not that far away. I'd also be disappointed if the game were rushed and didn't live up to expectations, so my disappointment would subside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back