Microsoft should bail out and cancel 2020's Xbox Scarlett

Last GTA game I played was IV, which was brilliant.

Anyway, MS makes great consoles overall: the Xbox 360 was IMO the best console of the last generation once all the initial kinks were ironed out; the Xbox One X is an overall feat of engineering that gives us a next-gen glimpse of things to come. Additionally, as others have stated, we have MS to thank for backwards compatibility in the PS5.

I don't know why some of you are borderline rooting for the next Xbox to fail; more competition is always better for the end consumer. ?‍♂️

I do not think that the PS5 is going to have BC feature just because MS did it the current gen. Things are not that simple.

The PS4 was not bc because it was a pc like machine and the PS3 was not. The Cell of the Ps3 was very different. It was not feasible to get BC on the Ps4 without wasting tons of Money. And even then the results where questionable.

That were the sins of the Kutaragi Generation. Cerny on the other Hand rooted for the X86 archticture. that is future proof. So getting BC on the next gen Playstation is very easy because it is going to use the same Architecture.

For Sony BC was always important since the PS2. If they can do it, they do not. MS has nothing to do with it.

Didn't they do tests of Spiderman on PS5 Hardware? I was under the impression this was already confirmed - not that I have such a source mind you :p

But backwards compatibility is what is keeping the Xbox brand interesting to me, they treat the previous generations very well & I have certain gone out of my way to get titles which are BC because the appeal of playing games I like in improved resolution/presentation is very appealing - The improvements to the Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy are outstanding!:

BC is already basically confirmed for the PS5. Spidey runs on a PS5 dev kit (it was used for a load time demonstration showing how much faster PS4 games load on a PS5) plus with digital being so huge this gen, alongside GaaS games like Rainbow Six, Fortnite, Destiny etc. that plan on sticking around for many years to come, its in the platform holders interest to make sure these games are playable on next gen hardware. I'd love PS3 BC as well just for the convenience but know that's probably an impossibility due to the whole Cell chip stuff, you'd need something pretty beefy to just brute force emulate games, and I have doubts next gen PS5 will be quite that powerful (though some of the stuff that's been done on the PS3 PC emu is incredible).

As for MS... well I'm still annoyed about my Xbox One purchase at the start of the gen, that thing cratered in price and somehow still kept falling from there. My two favourite games on the system (aside from being on PC) will be on Switch very soon so its really only the 360 BC and Forza Horizon series that'd ever get me to turn it on again. Maybe next gen will be different... but I'm not entirely convinced. I'll just watch from the side lines and make sure I don't buy one at launch again, until I know the games are there this time, as at least with PS5 I'll have Yakuza, Sony's stuff and hopefully, full BC with my PS4 library which I've grown rather fond of!

I am going to buy the ps5 at launch for sure. But primerly to Play PS4 games on it. My 2013 PS4 won't last forever, so I need a replacement as soon as possible. Buying another PS4 won't be an Option. I have no interest in buying a outdated console again.

Even if my ps4 dies before the PS5 launch I won't get another one.

There is only one Ps4 exklusive title left I want to Play at launch, and that is Shenmue 3. And the changes are very high, that my ps4 will last until then.

For the other games that are interesting I have no Problem to wait till the Ps5 is out. Maybe they even get PS5 enhancement so I could skip the ps4 Version altogether.

Sony is deeply overrated IMO.
They do take care of their first party studios, and xbox let Halo fall off quite a bit (also gears, but at least gears 5 is getting steam again), let's not mention the trainwreck of Crackdown 3.
Everything Sony does is overhyped, I remember having a blast with sunset overdrive on PC, but no one really cared much, then Spiderman came and everyone had their panties wet. It was technically better, but the core gameplay I thought it was much better in SO (also that 90s vibe really appealed to me).
But man, they just added bloodstained to gamepass, I have to give them kudos.

Eh. I loved Spidey way more than SO. Its just opinions. For me, I'd waited for a good Spidey game for ages. The second movie game that people still praise has aged badly outside the swinging - with combat, story, camera controls and stealth all being pretty damn bad these days. It was also insanely short. And while the PS4 Spidey is not perfect, it sure managed to fix most of my issues with previous Spidey games while also managing to have a surprisingly good story (because I honestly expected that aspect to be pretty bad).
It helped that Sony gave them time and money to make the game - something Activision never did for their games, and it showed. Plus the DLC was a blast and plot wise leaves a lot of interesting points open for the sequel when it happens.Then again, I also actually liked the stealth sections in Spider Man, I get why people didn't like those though I actually thought a couple had some neat ideas (and hey, it actually made Rhino something of a threat for once).

The gamepass is awesome though. I plan on grabbing a few months sub and run through the games on there I do want to play, saves buying them as I'm sure I'll never replay the games.

Back