Microsoft should bail out and cancel 2020's Xbox Scarlett

Yea while this is certainly true, especially if they can't sell individual games on a regular basis, but as we should be well aware of now, the whole monthly service thing, really only disincentivizes quality game creation.

Lets be real, if MS could sell games at retail, going the service route would only lead to them losing money in the longrun, as would pumping in a insane amount of money to drop into a pool of games, that all share the same fee.

If Sony or even Nintendo went this route, as bullish as MS is, they would make so much less money, Sony would downright go under(do to the Playstation division having to support all their other divisions), and Nintendo would be a lot smaller then they are, although probally not to the point of struggling(their IPs are too valuable, everyone would suck it up, and pay for their service).

Sure MS has windows, and server services, so as a company it wont effect them either way, but yea this move only makes sense, if you can't effectly sell games otherwise.
The only reason they started this streaming service/subscription model is because they have pretty much given up on the Xbox One. They have got a lot of good PR from it but I just don't see how it's financially viable unless they charge the equivalent of a full retail game on a monthly basis.

The only reason they started this streaming service/subscription model is because they have pretty much given up on the Xbox One. They have got a lot of good PR from it but I just don't see how it's financially viable unless they charge the equivalent of a full retail game on a monthly basis.

Yea exactly, all MS is going to do, is lower their ability to produce stuff even more. It's the same with going from console- moble, it just doesn't work. Sure on paper profit margins may be higher, but all around you're bringing in a lot less money, and due to the scaling down, you are mathematically making less money in profit.

"There's two stats that always surprise me. One: I think on a monthly average a Game Pass player plays 4 or 5 more games than a non-Game Pass player. They're playing a lot more games. They're also buying more games...which at first I'm like...that surprised me," Xbox's Phil Spencer said in a recent interview with Giant Bomb at E3 2018.

So not only are people paying $120 a year but also buying more games then normal. Seems like they’re loosing tons of money. Yeah totally fucked...

Can we please back up statements with proof please or are we going to keep spouting bollocks.

Xbox is buying PlayStation!

The reason they’re looking at streaming is because everyone is. In Japan you can even stream games on the Switch.

MS is considering Streaming as the future and in 10 to 15 years this might be the case. So they want to be future proof. But they are not going to buy Sony. They just work together for the Streaming future that hopefuly never comes . Austria is not Ready for that and i do not think it will be in 15 years.

Our Internet is not fast enough for that stuff.

Luckily both MS and Sony seem to stick to the tradional consoles as long as possible.

I am more a Sony fan, and although I own every xbox that every came out except the One X, I really wish that MS becomes strong again.

This might be unpopular opinion, but I really feel that popular Sony is a bad Sony. I consider the Ps2 as the most overated console ever. Not a bad machine by all means, but just overated.

I like the original Playstation way were. When Sony was Newcomber, when it had to fight to previal in the console space. They were innovative then and they were willing take risks.

As soon as Sony became the market leader, they old Sony Spirit was lost. They were just making Mainstream games, that brings the Money.

You can especially see that now n the PS4 Era. Most Sony AAA titles are Third Person Action games with RPG Elements. They all look and play the same.

In the VR space they tro be a bit more innnovative to be frank, but the VR space is not that important as the non VR space.

I am not saying that Microsoft is better but I just wanted to point out how boring a sucessful Sony can be.

When you try to revert a bankrupt situation as Sega was back in the day but Yuji Naka insults your study, and remember that this is the same guy that told Suzuki to drop Shenmue and go back to Arcades to make money. So I am pretty tired of the "fucking gaijin Peter Moore, I wish him die" discurs, it sounds like the Steam fanboys shitting on Suziki because of the EGS situation.

Although I have to agree that it might be wrong to turn Moore into the only scapegoat for the demise of Sega some of his Statements in the article are wrong as well.

Moore was praising GTA 3 as the next great Thing in the Industry, although Shenmue happened before GTA 3 and was at least as innovative as a 3D GTA.

Acussing Yu Suzuki for holding back is another dumb statement of Mr Moore. I would consider Shenmue as the most innovative game that was around there at the turn of the century.

Although I have to agree that it might be wrong to turn Moore into the only scapegoat for the demise of Sega some of his Statements in the article are wrong as well.

Moore was praising GTA 3 as the next great Thing in the Industry, although Shenmue happened before GTA 3 and was at least as innovative as a 3D GTA.

Acussing Yu Suzuki for holding back is another dumb statement of Mr Moore. I would consider Shenmue as the most innovative game that was around there at the turn of the century.
Yeah, and I think that they are made because he tried to get the west market on board again after the Saturn fiasco. This guy is all about market, and we like it or not GTA3 was more appealing for the big audience. Also if you ear him talking about the Dreamcast now he always talk about the online elemen. Peter Moore is a business man, he has wom the Champions League in his first year in Liverpool FC, his mind is all business oriented.
We have to thank Sega of Japan for giving internal studios the freedom to explore and innovate during the Dreamcast span life, but if during the first yeae DC was a hit in the US was thanks to Peter Moore and things like the 2K sports series. Do I like all decissions he made? Not at all. Do I understand them from a marketing perspective? Yes I do.

If Xbox has given up with japanese videogames market is because after years of trying to reach that audience it remained as Shump console only.

All this complaints are so 2001...

Although I consider GTA as one of the most overrated series of all time I am aware of it's potential to Appeal to the mass market. And sure no GTA hurt the Dreamcast a lot in long run. But the best decisions for Business are not always the best decision for Gamers.

That is why I prefer the Underdogs (Ps1 era Sony, and Sega) over it's modern iterations. They lack Innovation. They just use the plain Mainstream stuff again and again and are not willing to take risks.

I think the next gen companies should not Focus too much on Japan anymore. Japan is done. They prefer mobil stuff over over classic consoles.

Even this console Generation is the american Generation. The PS4 is a american playstation not a japanese one like the first 3 models. They game are way more "American" or Western than the games in the past.

The future for the stationary consoles lies in the West, not in Japan.

How many of those were Japan only though? While MS had these insane restrictions in the west, they allowed developers to release whatever they wanted in Japan.
I don't know anything about restrictions. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite undiscovery, Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, The Last Remnant... All 360 exclusive to begin with. US releases around the same time as JP. EU usually had to wait a few months. Oblivion and Fallout were huge RPGs on the 360.

I don't know anything about restrictions. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite undiscovery, Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, The Last Remnant... All 360 exclusive to begin with. US releases around the same time as JP. EU usually had to wait a few months. Oblivion and Fallout were huge RPGs on the 360.

I'll give them props for going after super niche JRPG AA exclusives too like Spectral force III and Magna Carta 2. PLus the 99Nights and its sequels.

Sega probally wouldn't have made another console, but Peter Moore drove the final nail into their coffin with pure joy in his eyes, and prematurely killed off the DC.

Yea sigh Peter Moore's statements in that, and frankly his entire life is full of BS statements, and to make matters worse, he justifies everything he does down to "It's only Business".

It sucks that, that weasel keeps dodging every bullet, because I would love to see his face when he saw his so called vision of the future of gaming collapsing all around him. However sadly, but not shockingly he supposedly works for a insurance company now(I wonder how many lives that scumbag ruins now, by denying people's claims for a living).

Well anyway Peter Moore, nice fute huh, stagnation, and major AAA companies so out of control with greed they are destroying them selves. What do you think about western styled games now lol. You dare try to say the Japanese don't innovatwe while at the same time propping up western styled developing, at the same time ignoring the DC, Shenmue 2, Nintendo, Sega during the DC era, ect prove you wrong even back then.

If Sony happens to fuck up like they did in 2006 with the ps3 guess who's lurking in the back?
Never had an Xbox. But I have nothing agains them. on the contrary. I also think competition is good for gamming.

That use to be my stance as well, until MS tried to enslave the entire industry, and consumer alike. Now my stance, nomatter what system they comeout/what games it has, I'm never going to buy a MS system.

Also It's clear MS didn't learn a damn thing from the XBOX One, because after that failed, they went, and tried the same BS on PC. Well MS, I'm never updating to windows 10, so screw you.

The west just doesn't explore all genres enough like the east. The sad reality is that western game publishers/studios are resting on their laurels now and don't really care to innovate anymore or even creatively compete with forward thinking games.

Remember when EA made a freakin awesome western take on FFX's Jrpg mechanics to actually take on Square Enix?

The Dreamcast was doomed in the long run for sure, that is the unfortunate truth. But it was still a mistake to give up that early. Before 2002/2003 the technical superiority of the ps2 was not visible at all. So Sega could have keep making games to enhance the User base. They could have done it with some new amazing games. From 2002/2003 onwards the ps2 was catching up very fast and in the end they could not have beaten Sony, but I still believe Sega could have down a better fight.

ps: I also do not think that Sony will repeat 2006. That is rather unlikely. The main problem back then, was the high price and the Cell processor. Sony learned their mistake from the ps3 era so they won't price their console that high nobody is going to buy it.

Concerning the hardware Kuturagi is gone too and Sony is not going to deal with his brilliant but impractical technologies anymore.

Mark Cerny is more down to earth than Mr Kutaragi ever was. Kutaragi was "just" a engineer not a game developer. Cerny is both. He knows what developers want and need. He even interviewed developers to involve them in the developing process of the ps4. I think he has done the same thing with the 5.

Not saying their ps5 will be perfect or that the Launch will be perfect but they will rather not repeat the mistakes of Kutaragi.

they can make of course new mistakes that could cost them the leadership.

Last edited:
It sucks that, that weasel keeps dodging every bullet, because I would love to see his face when he saw his so called vision of the future of gaming collapsing all around him. However sadly, but not shockingly he supposedly works for a insurance company now(I wonder how many lives that scumbag ruins now, by denying people's claims for a living).

He works for Liverpool the football team. You can’t even get the basics right.

joXAY9U.png

He works for Liverpool the football team. You can’t even get the basics right.

Oh Liverpool/football as in the soccer team, that's weird, one hopes he treats them better, then how he treated Sega, but I doubt it. He's the kind of scumbag who would try to make the team fail, so he can move it. Then he would turn around, and say "It's only business", as if that justifies every evil act in the world.

I have a few questions for the community.

Was Shenmue to ambitious for the Dreamcast?The Dreamcast didn't sell alot of units and Shenmue at the time was the most expensive game ever made.

If Shenmue was released on the PS2 would we be playing Shenmue 6 right now? The PS2 is the highest selling home console ever.

What was the underline cause of Sega getting out of the console market? Sega is as synonymous with gaming as anybody.

Back