Microsoft should bail out and cancel 2020's Xbox Scarlett

Nope. The original Shenmue still sold well but SEGA was falling apart around Shenmue. It was the years of mismanagement that lead to SEGA leaving the console business and not one or two bad decisions but tons of them. Things like the SEGA Saturn came back to haunt them and sadly they didn’t have the money to keep going as a console business otherwise they wouldn’t even be here as a 3rd party today if they had tried to carry on.

The thing that killed Shenmue for so long was the bad sales of Shenmue II on Xbox. The reason people green light sequels is because the last game did well and Shenmue II didn’t.

Would we have got more Shenmue games quicker if it came to PlayStation? Who knows? Could have been a flop or could have done ok.

What a scumbag.

Also stop making stuff up. Football teams don’t ‘move’ like in American Football, they also won the Champions League which is one of the biggest things a team can win.

Hey don't come to conclusions I didn't make that up. While I am a worldly sort, I don't actually watch Soccer as it were, so didn't know there were 0 chances/instances of teams moving(lol consider how soccer fans tend to get, that would likely cause riots come to think of it). If I was anyone else in the country, I wouldn't have even heard of Liverpool, let alone know where about it is. Yea I've heard Liverpool was a great team, them winning shouldn't come as a surprise.

I think you're referring to Bernie Stolar shunning Japanese games on Saturn, not Moore on 360 or Dreamcast.

I think you're referring to Bernie Stolar shunning Japanese games on Saturn, not Moore on 360 or Dreamcast.

Well that happened too, but on the record nearing the end of the DC, Peter Moore expressed his disdain towards Japanese games, and that Sega should focus mostly on western styled ganes.

Needless to say, you can't tell a Japanese company to not only sell out, but to discourage other Japanese companies from releasing games on your platform.

and remember that this is the same guy that told Suzuki to drop Shenmue and go back to Arcades to make money
While obviously I am glad Suzuki ultimately did not go with his suggestion, and Shenmue as a whole ended up being absolutely unbelievable, I do think Naka's advice made perfect sense at the time.

1. Yu's arcade games were indeed amazing, so of course we'd want to see more of them
  2. Shenmue was absurdly ambitious at the time, and I feel confident in saying under any other director/producer it would not have ended well. Hell, even by today's standards with all the tech and development advancements we've had, I still think it's an absurdly ambitious game from a conceptual and person-to-person logistic standpoint. It's a lot easier on a creative and management level to just make another checkbox ubisoft sandbox style open world game. You would only start up something like Shenmue if you were insanely passionate about the concept and had an inhuman drive to work. Thankfully, Yu does.
  3. Yuji may have felt a little... threatened by the star of the arcades encroaching on his console-game domain. Maybe not the most admirable motive, but it is understandable and human.

Personally, I still really want to see Yu make a return to arcade style games when he has a chance. New IP or Space Harrier 3, whichever, I just want it.

Well that happened too, but on the record nearing the end of the DC, Peter Moore expressed his disdain towards Japanese games, and that Sega should focus mostly on western styled ganes.

Needless to say, you can't tell a Japanese company to not only sell out, but to discourage other Japanese companies from releasing games on your platform.

AS has been requested before, do you have citations? I seem to recall him mentioning the burgeoning western dominance during the same meeting he pissed off Naka to recommend they discontinue in 2001. Do not know about him specifically deriding Japanese games, though.

Personally, I wished Stolar were given a longer tenure. Fired just before launch was goofy, and I think he would've been much more dedicated to Dreamcast at least uintil 2002 or '03. One can dream--no pun intended. Then again, it was only a donation from the will of Mr Okawa to save them from truly going under. Would they still have been saved if incurring more debt had Shenmue 2 or Half Life not been cancelled, yet weren't big sellers as had been hoped? Or if the 2K3 and possible Yakuza game have been enough to keep the system afloat?

No, but I remember that statement as well, if it weren't during the same discussion, it was close to it, because It's the statement about the west's dominance that directly led to such.

We know why Shenmue 2 didn't sell(there was like no marketing/advertising for 2 really at all), so that's not fair to say. Hell the only way anyone really even knew about Shenmue 2 back then, are the people who got the DC magazine sub(basically only people who pre-ordered the DC). Thanks to MS, I didn't find out about Shenmue 2, until the 360 launch.

I will never understand why you would pay millions for a exclusive, if you're not going to promote it. The kicker is, MS handled the development of the XBOX port... How do you not spend money on advertising after that?

Yeah, I can't find him being explicitly against Japanese games. Shenmue 2 probably would've sold better on Dreamcast than XBOX in NA, but the exclusivity deal must've been too good to resist for a near bankrupt, fairly desperate company.

That use to be my stance as well, until MS tried to enslave the entire industry, and consumer alike. Now my stance, nomatter what system they comeout/what games it has, I'm never going to buy a MS system.

Also It's clear MS didn't learn a damn thing from the XBOX One, because after that failed, they went, and tried the same BS on PC. Well MS, I'm never updating to windows 10, so screw you.
What thing did they try on PC, do you mean Game Pass? That's a good thing if you also have the console where most of the games are. I think I'm least annoyed with MS. Xbox is the only modern console I have now. The backward compatibility is important. 360 games keep showing up in my library as they add new ones. Game Pass makes it all less expensive.

I don't think there was any marketing for Shenmue 2 in the UK outside of gaming magazine previews. There was more on the Xbox version's added features and english dub. Did MS pay for the English audio?

Last edited:
What thing did they try on PC, do you mean Game Pass? That's a good thing if you also have the console where most of the games are. I think I'm least annoyed with MS. Xbox is the only modern console I have now. The backward compatibility is important. 360 games keep showing up in my library as they add new ones. Game Pass makes it all less expensive.

No, I'm not talking moving their services to PC. All the BS they're repeating, is packed into win10 specifically. You have built in spyware that would make the FBI, CIA, and even NSA blush. Oh there's no way around it either, people try, but every time win 10 gets a update, it rests all user setting to default, which the spyware's default, is on.

Windows 10 is specifically designed to give MS complete control, on the user aside, aside from the spyware, it also backsup all your entire HD, to their servers by default.

On the networking side, the original plan, was to prevent steam from working with win 10 computers for example, thankfully the windows story sucks so much, they couldn't justify doing that. Everyone hates that windows store lmao

You can monitor your network usage through your router. Someone would've noticed Windows uploading their entire HDD.

I don't think they've blocked any digital distribution platform. Steam is great for Windows 10. Everything runs on Windows, that's the point of Windows, and why Windows 10 S is such a scam.

You can monitor your network usage through your router. Someone would've noticed Windows uploading their entire HDD.

I don't think they've blocked any digital distribution platform. Steam is great for Windows 10. Everything runs on Windows, that's the point of Windows, and why Windows 10 S is such a scam.

Actually sadly most people either don't care or just own a PC, but aren't really tech savy. You don't even need to go through the router, just open task manager, but in anyway, the average person wouldn't even know. MS passes that feature off as "Backups", so a lot of people don't think anything of it.

I said they didn't go through with that part, bun win 10 is specifically designed to allow them to do that, It's not at all designed to be a open platform, that PCs use to be known for.

Like I said, their plans for that part, they couldn't follow through(atleast for the time being), due to how hated the Windows store is

It takes a few minutes but he makes a point how Xbox declined over the years and still points to Halo

...Did MS pay for the English audio?

To my knowledge, yes. Also recently found out a small extra detail: some of the porting budget was provided by MS to AM2 back then, as well. Wasn't a simple dubbing and publishing/console exclusivity deal, they actually helped develop some of the XBOX version.

Moore was praising GTA 3 as the next great Thing in the Industry, although Shenmue happened before GTA 3 and was at least as innovative as a 3D GTA.

Acussing Yu Suzuki for holding back is another dumb statement of Mr Moore. I would consider Shenmue as the most innovative game that was around there at the turn of the century.
You should know, GTA 3 is always heralded despite it's technical setbacks compared to Shenmue becsuse of insane profit and value to gamers in general. It had that dopamine rush people wanted and offered people to be able to do all these barbaric things they couldn't whilst Shenmue is the polar opposite of that.

It takes a few minutes but he makes a point how Xbox declined over the years and still points to Halo

Lol I thought it was a troll video at first, due to the snot nosed brat, but when the actual video started, yea some very good points there.

You should know, GTA 3 is always heralded despite it's technical setbacks compared to Shenmue becsuse of insane profit and value to gamers in general. It had that dopamine rush people wanted and offered people to be able to do all these barbaric things they couldn't whilst Shenmue is the polar opposite of that.

Sad but true. Playing the older GTA games while were still pretty damn fun, for what they were, had some major setbacks(the flying mechanics always sucked back then, and don't even get me started on the loading. Speaking of loading, wasn't it 3 that basically every 50ft or so, you would hit another loading sequence, it was so annoying)

Anyway yea while Shenmue has so much more innovation, and clearly the better overall game, GTA gets more credit, just because of the insane sales.

I kind of like the fact that Microsoft is moving more towards multi platform. The fact that I can get some of their more noteworthy titles on PC was enough to make me say “why bother buying an Xbox One when I can just build a decent PC and get those games running so much better over there?”

I think you will slowly see Microsoft transition more and more towards being a service rather than a platform. They’ll keep focusing on options like they’ve been doing recently. Want to play on an Xbox console? Feel free to do so. Want to play on PC? Feel free to do so.

I’d actually like to see them do more with the Switch. They’ve been dipping their toes in recently but I can’t help but think “why not go full in? Why not give the Switch a Banjo Kazooie game? Or why not bring the Master Chief Collection over to the Switch? Why not break more ground?”

I have no desire to buy another Xbox console because my PC kinda fills the gap, but I do like what they’ve been doing lately in terms of building a service rather than a dedicated platform.

I am Aware of that. But I prefer Quality over quantity. I consider every game that Rockstar made overated so far. I never got got it what is so great About GTA.

But I know that GTA is very sucessful brand up to this day, so no wonder it gets the credit although the games are nothing Special.

I am Aware of that. But I prefer Quality over quantity. I consider every game that Rockstar made overated so far. I never got got it what is so great About GTA.

But I know that GTA is very sucessful brand up to this day, so no wonder it gets the credit although the games are nothing Special.

GTA Isn't a game anyone plays as game, and no one gives a damn about the story(Which kind of makes me feel sorry for Rockstar, as they try so hare to create a good story). People play GTA, just to screw around, usually in short play sessions. No one ever plays GTA to beat it, and the only reason people play the story at all, is to unlock certain things.

It's just a guilty pleasure sandbox to screw around in.

Back