Mod Requests for Shenmue III

What I'm wondering is, is there a way to identify exactly who these characters are? Can these names/ID's be matched to character models or voice clips (I see that the phone call characters such as Nozomi, Gui Zhang etc are also part of this list, leading me to assume voice clips are part of this file's function as well?) Or would you need to write something as you said to match with Character ID's?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated, if only to resolve the Gao/Li and Xiang/Lu debacle once and for all! :p

The purpose of this asset in Shenmue III is effectively what you're trying to create out of it :p It lists every character in the game, along with their respective character ID and some other details. There's basically two ways of going about it, we can look at how the data is written to file alone or we can make use of some runtime approach, like by just dumping the table that this asset represents, while the game is running (fastest) or maybe swapping Ryo or another character for whichever character you're looking into (slow). So in that regard, I'd have to do either of those, in order to get the mapping. I'll do it though, because you have a very legitimate reason for wanting this stuff.. and not just wasting my time.. or something :p

Great work you've done, glad to be of help up to to this point and I look forward to putting this whole ordeal to a close by getting the mapping for you :)

The purpose of this asset in Shenmue III is effectively what you're trying to create out of it :p It lists every character in the game, along with their respective character ID and some other details. There's basically two ways of going about it, we can look at how the data is written to file alone or we can make use of some runtime approach, like by just dumping the table that this asset represents, while the game is running (fastest) or maybe swapping Ryo or another character for whichever character you're looking into (slow). So in that regard, I'd have to do either of those, in order to get the mapping. I'll do it though, because you have a very legitimate reason for wanting this stuff.. and not just wasting my time.. or something :p

Great work you've done, glad to be of help up to to this point and I look forward to putting this whole ordeal to a close by getting the mapping for you :)
Honestly man, only if it isn't too much trouble, I can appreciate the undertaking; it would be greatly, greatly appreciated though - given that there is no Passport or official strategy guides for S3 I guess this may be the only way (maybe) for confirming certain characters' names...

I feel bad as I do own the PC version as a collectible item, but my laptop would never be able to run it decently, or if at all :crying:

Honestly man, only if it isn't too much trouble, I can appreciate the undertaking; it would be greatly, greatly appreciated though - given that there is no Passport or official strategy guides for S3 I guess this may be the only way (maybe) for confirming certain characters' names...

I feel bad as I do own the PC version as a collectible item, but my laptop would never be able to run it decently, or if at all :crying:

Here are the character IDs, right now you can use this with the last text file I provided to map them up, both text files are in order.

Attachments

• character_ids.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 16
Here are the character IDs, right now you can use this with the last text file I provided to map them up, both text files are in order.
Hey man! Sorry, been a while - I've started attempting to match up the Character ID's with the names from the other document, and have come to the conclusion that the following char ID's below should be Red Snake members - otherwise unnamed in the game itself - so this should finally confirm which is Xiang and which is Lu...as well as possibly the names of other misc thugs.

So, could I politely ask for images of the character models of the following please? :)

GYO
HOS
KOU
KAK (I'm sure this is Ge Longqi, aka Mr Muscles, but would be nice to be sure)
ROO
SEB

This is a complicated mod, but retranslation of Japanese audio track subtitles. Main hurdle would be getting the translation done but that's quite the hurdle. Really wish the game would have had a proper translation in the first place.

This is a complicated mod, but retranslation of Japanese audio track subtitles. Main hurdle would be getting the translation done but that's quite the hurdle. Really wish the game would have had a proper translation in the first place.
There's already the S3TextDataAssetEditor which allows for searching and replacing lines of text stored in a CSV.

There's already the S3TextDataAssetEditor which allows for searching and replacing lines of text stored in a CSV.
Well that's good because that means a chunk of the work is already done, now someone just needs to retranslate the game. If I didn't suck at Japanese I'd do it.

Here are a few potential mods I could think of:

-Do away with grinding for money. Either up the amount of money the player earns, up the number of tokens, you can gamble with, or allow the player to begin with more money.

-Do away with grinding for extra health. Either up the amount of health the player earns or allow the player to begin with max health.

-Do away with grinding for martial art stat increases. Either up the amount stats the player earns or allow the player to begin with max stats. Maybe make the fortune-teller's predictions more accurate.

-Do away with hunger/stamina mechanic. Either reduce the amount of health that disappears over time or do away with the stamina reducing health mechanic.

-Ability to skip cutscenes

-Ability to skip dialog

-Add the ability to run in buildings that typically force you to walk.

-Add the ability to fast forward time for when you need to be somewhere at a specific time.

Here are a few potential mods I could think of:

-Do away with grinding for money. Either up the amount of money the player earns, up the number of tokens, you can gamble with, or allow the player to begin with more money.
I think you can use cheat engine for that
-Do away with grinding for extra health. Either up the amount of health the player earns or allow the player to begin with max health.
I believe @LemonHaze made a mod for this already in terms of just freezing the health bar so it doesn't run out. I imagine you could change a value in cheat engine or something. Get full health then stop it depleting as per the mod.
-Do away with grinding for martial art stat increases. Either up the amount stats the player earns or allow the player to begin with max stats. Maybe make the fortune-teller's predictions more accurate.
Interesting, not sure if this has been done.
-Do away with hunger/stamina mechanic. Either reduce the amount of health that disappears over time or do away with the stamina reducing health mechanic.
See above :)
-Ability to skip cutscenes
Some minor ones you can. More major ones I'm not sure you can.
-Ability to skip dialog
This was patched in by the developers.
-Add the ability to run in buildings that typically force you to walk.
I'm not sure here. I think they're loading areas for the game.
-Add the ability to fast forward time for when you need to be somewhere at a specific time.
You can use UUU on unreal to speed up the time but yes a simpler solution would be useful maybe.

Hope that helps a little :) Also welcome to the forums! Just noticed the new signup. Enjoy your time here.

I think you can use cheat engine for that

I believe @LemonHaze made a mod for this already in terms of just freezing the health bar so it doesn't run out. I imagine you could change a value in cheat engine or something. Get full health then stop it depleting as per the mod.

Interesting, not sure if this has been done.

See above :)

Some minor ones you can. More major ones I'm not sure you can.

This was patched in by the developers.

I'm not sure here. I think they're loading areas for the game.

You can use UUU on unreal to speed up the time but yes a simpler solution would be useful maybe.

Hope that helps a little :) Also welcome to the forums! Just noticed the new signup. Enjoy your time here.
Thanks for welcoming me! I'm new to the forum and Shenmue modding, but not Shenmue. I was an original owner of the Dreamcast Shenmue 1 and Xbox Shenmue 2. I was a kickstarter for Shenmue 3 but I've yet to play it as I recently found the mod guide on here for Shenmue 1 and 2 and have been replaying them first. I've played through Shenmue 1 with mods and I'm about 25% through Shenmue 2 with mods. Anyways, my modding of games is limited to that guide. Is cheat engine difficult to use? Does it disable achievements? Also, what's UUU on unreal?

Thanks for welcoming me! I'm new to the forum and Shenmue modding, but not Shenmue. I was an original owner of the Dreamcast Shenmue 1 and Xbox Shenmue 2. I was a kickstarter for Shenmue 3 but I've yet to play it as I recently found the mod guide on here for Shenmue 1 and 2 and have been replaying them first. I've played through Shenmue 1 with mods and I'm about 25% through Shenmue 2 with mods. Anyways, my modding of games is limited to that guide. Is cheat engine difficult to use? Does it disable achievements? Also, what's UUU on unreal?
Awesome. Glad you found your way here. We need to update the Mods video actually. It's on the list of things to do!

It's an unlocker for Unreal engine. Allows you into the Unreal Engine menu so you can stop time, change weather, jump to game points, free cam etc.

Again, welcome!

Hey man! Sorry, been a while - I've started attempting to match up the Character ID's with the names from the other document, and have come to the conclusion that the following char ID's below should be Red Snake members - otherwise unnamed in the game itself - so this should finally confirm which is Xiang and which is Lu...as well as possibly the names of other misc thugs.

So, could I politely ask for images of the character models of the following please? :)

GYO
HOS
KOU
KAK (I'm sure this is Ge Longqi, aka Mr Muscles, but would be nice to be sure)
ROO
SEB

Sorry to bump/nag - would @LemonHaze or anyone else savvy be able to assist with this? :)

Well, that's very interesting. So it looks like the Japanese dialog reverses their names from their descriptions, and the English dialogue fixed it (even though it messed up the description for Lu).
Yep- so if I’m seeing this right, KOU is Xiang (skinny guy in grey shirt) and ROO is Lu (big guy in bandana)- as presumably the model names are derived from the Japanese pronounciations of their names?

Back