Move training not working? (No bar progress on move list)

XBL
Billkwando
Is anyone having issues seeing any progress in their trained moves? I've been Dark Mooning all over the place, and the progress bar is firmly planted in the middle of the M.

Edit: I just loaded the game up again and it appears to have moved up a lot. Does it only move after you sleep? It's been a while, sorry.

P.S. For you new players, and old players as well, don't forget that some of moves actually evolve once sufficiently trained, and have additional frames of animation, or a different (cooler) animation entirely! :D

Yes they seem to move after you sleep, I had the same thoughts. But IIRC they used to have a white section in the DC Shenmue 1 when you trained to show you how much you leveled it in training then it would come in to effect once you slept.

I noticed it didn't seem to move, then moved a good bit after sleeping. I gotta admit I never really leveled moves in my previous plays, so I may very well upgrade after sleeping.

Yes they seem to move after you sleep, I had the same thoughts. But IIRC they used to have a white section in the DC Shenmue 1 when you trained to show you how much you leveled it in training then it would come in to effect once you slept.

That's what I thought too! There was a progress bar that let you know how much you did, I thought so...

Also, did they forget that we don't have VMU screens to teach us moves? I have a few scrolls I can't practice, and they didn't have Google in Yokosuka back in 1986.

I’ll admit it moves at a different pace compared to the originals dreamcast releases

Yes, way faster, I think.....to our benefit. I used to have a programmable controller that I only used for practicing moves while semi AFKing.....cos it took THAT long.

....actually I still have it. 2 of them actually.

FighterPad.jpg

Yeah I was wondering too. It seems they only update after sleeping, wich is pretty sad.

Also, how offputting will this be for newcomers? They train and train and tain and don't see any progress. That also affects the moves that change when they reach (what used to be labeled) moderate. Brutal Tiger for example is painfully slow to train because of Ryo facing the wrong way every time. Now it's not enough to exit the training once it reaches a high enough level for it to evolve. Have to wait for the end of the day and also make a shot in the dark how high it will be then.

Yeah I was wondering too. It seems they only update after sleeping, wich is pretty sad.

Also, how offputting will this be for newcomers? They train and train and tain and don't see any progress. That also affects the moves that change when they reach (what used to be labeled) moderate. Brutal Tiger for example is painfully slow to train because of Ryo facing the wrong way every time. Now it's not enough to exit the training once it reaches a high enough level for it to evolve. Have to wait for the end of the day and also make a shot in the dark how high it will be then.

Yes, it really is disheartening. Move training and fighting were always a huge part of the game for me (part of why S2 was a bit of a letdown), so much that while other folks were looking for clipping textures or audio glitches, I was running straight to the nearest parking lot to Dark Moon myself silly, because training was what I was most worried about being broken, and it would be an easy feature to overlook or unintentionally neglect. As was mentioned by that man, some folks never did it at all.

Tangentially related, I was 64th in the final global ranking of 70 person battle on Dreamcast, so I'm very sad to see that the stats screens for Xbox are so barebones, when they could do so much more. (How many forklift races won, how many gatchas collected, how many moves learned....that's it.)

Not expecting Passport here, but they could easily give us something similar and all 3 platforms have stat tracking features.

Last edited:
The other issue I encountered when playing on PS4 pro digital copy was the training cue wouldn't always work especially using the large car park next to Yu arcade. I had to run in there on particular pathway before it would be triggered but I assume many newbies might not know they can train there and completely forgot or not know this.

This is not true!

I actually happened to be practicing Brutal Tiger while playing just last night and it took 1 maybe 2 sessions of practicing the move for it to evolve; All you need to do is look at the move list and then do the move again and you will see it evolve.

I am playing on the Xbox One by the way, so I am not sure that makes a difference.

OK, apparently if you go into the menu to Collection > Scrolls > (Move name) and click on it, that's how you learn it (but doing the move still works too).

You can just experience Shenmue and not train much and leave training for Shenmue II noticed before that training moves in Shenmue II is a lot Faster and easier to master them.

Ok, I may have jumped the gun in my previous post I understand what you are all on about now.

So now my question is the training actually working at all?
Like brutal tiger for instance, I trained until it evolved so you no longer face backward, which was all fine and dandy until I slept and the move was back to square one the next day...Kind of frustrating as brutal tiger wasn't the only move I had been training...

I think I am going to stop playing until they patch this sucker up.

The training is working for me. The bars are slow moving (I think they move faster when you use the moves in a fight). I did notice when I was training in the park the Double Blow was back to his first form but I got into a fight soon after and the stance went back to him taking a step forward, and the move also appeared more powerful.

EDIT: When the move bar turns red what does that mean? And does it still grow? I think it is but I can't tell.

I am having the same issue. Any of the moves that I train until evolution are back to square one the next day. I tried in both PS4 and Xbox One. I went to check the steam forums and it seems it is a common bug across all platforms. Not sure why they changed the interface for training as the Dreamcast method was fine. This is completely broken and is a game-breaker for me as someone who is trying to carry over saves for the first time. I’ll have to hold off playing until D3t get this thing fully patched up.

This is not true!

I actually happened to be practicing Brutal Tiger while playing just last night and it took 1 maybe 2 sessions of practicing the move for it to evolve; All you need to do is look at the move list and then do the move again and you will see it evolve.

I am playing on the Xbox One by the way, so I am not sure that makes a difference.
Ah good to know, at least that's something.

In the latest patch notes for the Steam version it says there is a fix for moves sometimes not updating when you sleep, so maybe when this patch come soon to consoles it will fix the issue?

I am having the same issue. Any of the moves that I train until evolution are back to square one the next day. I tried in both PS4 and Xbox One. I went to check the steam forums and it seems it is a common bug across all platforms. Not sure why they changed the interface for training as the Dreamcast method was fine. This is completely broken and is a game-breaker for me as someone who is trying to carry over saves for the first time. I’ll have to hold off playing until D3t get this thing fully patched up.
If the issue exist try contacting sega directly.
The thing is the less sales this game has the less likely we will ever see patches.
Sega would only focus on a game that sells well and ignore it if it doesn't.

They are working on updates through.
https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/pc-v1-01-patch-notes.408/
Miscellaneous
  • The gong in Bunkada Antiques can now be interacted with.
  • Fixing various instances of localisation issues.
  • Fixed an issue in Shenmue 1 where sleeping would sometimes not update move experience.
  • Various performance improvements.

Last edited:
Back