Move training not working? (No bar progress on move list)

Edit: Some mentioned this bug. LOL It happens if you train for long continous sessions.
While I am playing on PS4. I was practing pit blow for about 4-5 hours in the park and after a while of continuing it evolved into the third attack version, even though it hadn't leveled up or moved when checking. So I left went home slept thinking maybe it reached advance but next morning it was showing it actually hadn't reached advanced. So went back to training and pitblow returned to the normal two strike attack pit blow the next day. Though when I replicate this again it seemed not just pit blow but some of my other moves were acting out the advanced animation when training over a long period like the running kicks, but only after training continously for a long session, but they hadn't actaully reached advance even after I slept. (Though had leveled up some). If you quit training then start fresh they also return back to standard.
When you do reach advanced level they do stay in the evolved form in training.

@I Got Sriracha In My DNA The whole bar can be leveled. Halfway color change means you advanced it but not full mastered it.

Last edited:
Practice the guitar all day and suck.....wake up the next morning and suddenly play like Joe Satriani.

Nah, I don't think so. :p

Haha! Oh man, I wish! Was thinking more physical... pull 95kg on the dead lift, next time 100kg no problem (maybe). Muscles resting, getting better.

I just had something weird happen. I leveled up tiger knuckle to where it’s orange. But now it’s back in the yellow like I’ve barely leveled it up. Anyone have that happen?

Is this common on Xbox One? Kinda scared to play now.

Is this common on Xbox One? Kinda scared to play now.

It's not really something to stop you from playing. There's plenty of time to train over the course of the game, so hopefully they'll fix it soon. I don't know what the glitch is exactly, but my moves are progressing and retaining progress....I just don't know how much progress has been lost to the glitch.

We don't want to over-dramatize about the bugs we're seeing to the point that we discourage new or returning players. Yes bugs are a big deal because Shenmue is a big deal, but we're talking about a bunch of stuff that mostly would likely be overlooked by the average player who isn't a rabid Shenmue fan.

The Shenmue experience is far too rewarding to miss over mostly minor issues. Not to mention that Shenmue is not a game you play through just once, never to return. Like Dead Rising, it's something you play through multiple times, to try to see and experience everything....so it's not like you won't be back.

Last edited:
I have put it in a report. Let's see if it reaches them and if they do anything about this.
It might very well be a design choice but one that I really don't dig, regardless of the apparently faster growth of the bars.

I have put it in a report. Let's see if it reaches them and if they do anything about this.
It might very well be a design choice but one that I really don't dig, regardless of the apparently faster growth of the bars.

I'm no longer even sure that that the bar is actually growing any faster, when you consider that what appears to be the end of the bar is actually just phase one for that move, and that the bar then changes color and continues to grow longer.

Yeah it doesn't seem faster once you hit the middle point. Which is a shame I kinda wouldn't have minded them making it a little easier then repeating a move 100x plus to max it. That and letting us train with fuku-san longer.

They didn’t bother fixing this bug with the patch. I trained up moves again and watched them evolve. Did it two days in a row. Each day I went out to train the moves had reset to their original first form even after training them individually at night. This may not bother many people, but training up moves and was a huge part of the game for me. Not sure what d3t was trying to do by changing this system but it’s awful.

They didn’t bother fixing this bug with the patch. I trained up moves again and watched them evolve. Did it two days in a row. Each day I went out to train the moves had reset to their original first form even after training them individually at night. This may not bother many people, but training up moves and was a huge part of the game for me. Not sure what d3t was trying to do by changing this system but it’s awful.

There are a few different problems here, but the move isn't supposed to evolve until the bar reaches the halfway point. Part of the issue is that the progress is being shown prematurely, and giving the evolved version of the move when sufficient progress has not actually been made, I think. I was able to eventually train all of my (non-harbor) punch and kick moves up to 100%, and the progress stayed.

Last edited:
Back