My Anime List (MAL) - Rating

Weighted Score = (v / (v + m)) * S + (m / (v + m)) * C
All right, so essentially what this is doing is putting things on something of a curve based on popularity. Anything that hasn’t met a threshold of interest (ie number of user scores) is going to be weighted toward the mean score across the entire site. As the number of scores becomes multiples larger than the minimum number of scores, the score begins to reflect the average of the user scores for that particular work. It would be helpful to know what the minimum number of scores is, but it’s very possible that Shenmue hasn’t gotten too far past it, and is biased toward the site’s mean score still.

One other thing is that the number of 10/10s looks like a statistical anomaly. If they throw out scores from suspicious accounts, then just signing up, dropping a 10/10 on Shenmue the animation, and peacing out may be liable to have it stricken from the data set.

this is my final take on it: if you don't want the series to survive then be negative about it. But, don't call yourself a fan of the series or act excited when we get a new game or something positive happens for the franchise in my opinion. Negative people will get ignored by me and we don't need those kinds of people in the fandom anyway.

this is my final take on it: if you don't want the series to survive then be negative about it. But, don't call yourself a fan of the series or act excited when we get a new game or something positive happens for the franchise in my opinion. Negative people will get ignored by me and we don't need those kinds of people in the fandom anyway.
What's you idea of being negative? valid criticisms? We don't want to be a fandom closed off from that kind of dialogue, that just makes us look like a bunch of immature fanboys.

Look, I personally wasn't a fan of the direction the first episode went, but at the same time, I'm still excited for the series. In some ways, the anime putting their own spin on the series has me intrigued. I didn't like how they handled it in the first episode, but that doesn't rule out the second episode having the opposite effect on me.

1644215739220.png
:rolleyes: Clearly they didn't read the thread properly
"Please if you enjoyed the show and want to help it gain an audience within the Anime fan community, consider creating an account and select the "watching" dropdown and then a rating out of 10 then select how many episodes you have seen so far"
Didn't even say "GO AND GIVE IT A 10" or anything

It's simple in my mind, if you liked it then make sure you leave a review. It will encourage more people to give this a go than not. That's the main purpose and this review bombing, if it is down to weighted scores then it only feeds into my view that weighted scores suck. Why should a system value one persons score over another (even if that can be gamed a little).

I'd also add that people can review as they see they want to.

My second point comes around the future. We have insane habit of bickering among ourselves when it comes to how to support the series. Of course you do not have to do anything, that's your call. Nor does it make someone less of a fan. But equally there cannot be any complaints from that camp if this isn't voted on, in a constructive manner, and then it harms the chance of future installments.

I'd rather play my part and vote in this. I'd urge anyone to do the same, every little helps in getting the franchise more exposure, more views, more sales.

I think another option to promote the series that can be effective is to encourage any friends who might be interested to watch from one of the free streams (if they don't subscribe to Crunchyroll). You can literally just link them directly to https://www.adultswim.com/videos/shenmue-the-animation if they're in the US, so there's pretty much no barrier to entry, so to speak.

I imagine any metrics on unique viewership will be important to the suits, same with ad revenue.

It said on cruncyroll about 'free users' will have to wait untill Feb the 12th to watch the first episode. Does that mean for anyone that has a free account will just have to wait one week after each episode if you wanted to watch the Anime?

I would have paid but I'm broke but I don't mind waiting an extra week I guess.

I checked some of the ratings of the other game to anime adaptation's i've seen:

Title MAL Rating

Fatal Fury 6.41
Fatal Fury 2 6.71
Fatal Fury The Motion Picture 6.57
Art of Fighting 4.80
Street Fighter Alpha: Generations 6.47
Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie 7.17

Shenmue (After 1 Episode) 6.73

Pretty good start all things considered ! The site does seem to be on the low side, I mean, I always thought SF2 The Animated Movie was one of the gold standards of fighting game adaptations so to see it on 7.17 was a bit of a shock.

What's you idea of being negative? valid criticisms? We don't want to be a fandom closed off from that kind of dialogue, that just makes us look like a bunch of immature fanboys.

Look, I personally wasn't a fan of the direction the first episode went, but at the same time, I'm still excited for the series. In some ways, the anime putting their own spin on the series has me intrigued. I didn't like how they handled it in the first episode, but that doesn't rule out the second episode having the opposite effect on me.
You're in every single thread regarding the anime posting 10+ posts whinging about the anime with the exact same complaints, 24/7. You're also in every thread on MAL whinging with the exact same complaints, 24/7. We get it mate, you don't like the anime. You making a 300th post saying that you don't isn't really adding anything to the discussion.

It's fine to dislike the anime, and to rate it how you honestly feel, but to become this terminally-online, obsessively negative troll in every thread, arguing with anyone who pulls you up on that or challenges your opinions is pretty obnoxious.

The MAL numbers don't actually *mean* anything, but going up in the rankings surely makes it easier to discover as others have claimed. There's no problem gaming the score when it's this easy, which undoubtedly means others can do it too, and in the opposite direction. So why shouldn't we try to promote the anime like this? It's a victimless "crime", and personally I think the opening episode is worth putting trust in the rest of the season to be as good or better.

Wait for the series to conclude or leave an "honest" review if you like, but what kills me is the habit of this fanbase to very openly take chunks out of the franchise when you KNOW how precarious its future always is. If you are really bothered by the anime... you don't have to watch it and spend 13 weeks posting about stuff you hated or unfounded speculation about the production. I said similar about Shenmue III before release when there were endless nagging nit-picks and handwringing like people were actively gearing up not to enjoy it, if you're not getting good vibes you're not obligated to see it through!

Not picking on anybody specifically, and we try hard to respect as broad a range of opinions as possible, but this is a mindset I've seen on here for years and failed to ever understand it. If the games are your jam, cool. If the anime is your cup of tea, great. Let's just try and keep Shenmue alive, okay?
100% this, especially the bold/underlined part.

I fucking love shenmuedojo, but I had to take a break from here after Shenmue III dropped because of the amount of incessant, overly-negative whining from certain members. It's a Shenmue fansite, man. I come here to get hyped to fuck with people who love Shenmue as much as I do, not to hear people unravel every single thing they despise about X aspect of the series, in every single one of their posts, for eternity. That shit is just grating beyond belief.

Again, I love this place, but I think it caters a little bit too much to the "we welcome every opinion" thing, and almost every new Shenmue release just devolves into negative bickering, and post-quoting shitslinging because of a very loud minority who are unhappy with it.

It just brings the mood down massively for me, and it's so sad to see it's already started with the first fucking episode of the anime.

I appreciate that the score's important but it feels a little early to be concerned about it. The system is designed so people can't turn a show with a single episode that's barely been out 24 hours into a top-ranked anime overnight. I dare say the high scores will mean more if they're spread out and people still think it's an awesome show 10 episodes in.

100% this, especially the bold/underlined part.

I fucking love shenmuedojo, but I had to take a break from here after Shenmue III dropped because of the amount of incessant, overly-negative whining from certain members. It's a Shenmue fansite, man. I come here to get hyped to fuck with people who love Shenmue as much as I do, not to hear people unravel every single thing they despise about X aspect of the series, in every single one of their posts, for eternity. That shit is just grating beyond belief.

Again, I love this place, but I think it caters a little bit too much to the "we welcome every opinion" thing, and almost every new Shenmue release just devolves into negative bickering, and post-quoting shitslinging because of a very loud minority who are unhappy with it.

It just brings the mood down massively for me, and it's so sad to see it's already started with the first fucking episode of the anime.
Took a break from here because of the same thing. I agree.

The show has SO many things about it that are faithful to the games.
But the ONE thing the LOUD people STILL focus on is that one or two things that aren't really issues. I think the best thing we can do is just ignore some if not all the negativity and not provoke any more. Otherwise that's the only thing people will know about Shenmue, like the sailor joke and forklifts. We can still discuss negative things but geez man. Can WE move on from those as quickly as possible too?

View attachment 14048
:rolleyes: Clearly they didn't read the thread properly
"Please if you enjoyed the show and want to help it gain an audience within the Anime fan community, consider creating an account and select the "watching" dropdown and then a rating out of 10 then select how many episodes you have seen so far"
Didn't even say "GO AND GIVE IT A 10" or anything
Unfortunately, i strongly suspect that post was created by someone on this forum. Honestly, i'm shocked at some of the behaviour from certain fans in this community. Im not just referring to this incident, but ive seen several occurrences over the years that make me shake my head. It's self sabotage of the finest.

As you said, they should read the op. Ultimately everyone can do what they want. No one is forcing anyone.

Absolute Insanity.

Pretty good start all things considered ! The site does seem to be on the low side, I mean, I always thought SF2 The Animated Movie was one of the gold standards of fighting game adaptations so to see it on 7.17 was a bit of a shock.

Well to put it in context, masterpieces of the genre like Your Name or Spirited Away are I believe in the high 8's, about 8.7 or 8.8. Its damn near impossible to score a 9 on that site. So being 6.7 at the start is not bad. If the quality continues to be satisfying and it gets more eyes it may jump to 7'ish which frankly would be good for a video game adaptation.

I did vote, along with friend who is also a fan.
The average is still the same, even though 40 persons including dojo guys did vote in the meantime.
I read in this thread that "Scores from users who have not viewed 1/5 of the series upon its completion are not included". So I guess that the reviewers who did vote that low lied about the episodes they saw and put 3 episodes watched at least. This kind of fake votes should be erased from that website.

Let's just not forget in 2 weeks to update the number of episodes we will have seen. The average should bump at that time. The dojo should also send a reminder at that time. Please !

Last edited:
You're in every single thread regarding the anime posting 10+ posts whinging about the anime with the exact same complaints, 24/7. You're also in every thread on MAL whinging with the exact same complaints, 24/7. We get it mate, you don't like the anime. You making a 300th post saying that you don't isn't really adding anything to the discussion.

It's fine to dislike the anime, and to rate it how you honestly feel, but to become this terminally-online, obsessively negative troll in every thread, arguing with anyone who pulls you up on that or challenges your opinions is pretty obnoxious.
What a load of bollocks. I have as much right to post as anybody else, and if people are going to reply directly to me or get the wrong idea and call opinions like mine "negative" then I have every right to defend my position.

Also, I am not everwhere in every thread on here and MAL whinging 24/7. I have left a handful of posts in this thread and the episode thread, and a total of 3 posts in one single thread on MAL, so stop with the ridiculous exaggerations.

Back