My Anime List (MAL) - Rating

You are not doing any favour to the franchise writing things like "Well I'm a big Shenmue fan, and I wouldn't rate that episode higher than a 5, so I understand where the low ratings are coming from. I thought the second half of the episode was a mess."

Others will see that, will think that is a cool comentary for the critical factor, and will copy that attitude and message, without even watching the anime and judging for themselves. Nobody is telling you fake your note. You can have your opinion and the right to score the show as you want, but if you want to support the franchise, at least you should not discourage people from seeing it or liking it. At least for respect to the people who want that the story continue.

Another thing is if you are not a fan of all of Shenmue, in that case, I understand all perfectly.
I'm not under any obligation to do any favour for the franchise, so I will write what I like. I personally don't feel my opinion holds that kind of weight anyway, especially one that doesn't really go into much detail about why I rated the first episode that low. It's one opinion from one Shenmue fan that doesn't go into much detail, it's not a big deal.

I don't plan on rating the Shenmue anime until I've seen all 13 episodes. I love Shenmue, but I'm not gonna rate it a perfect 10, as I don't see that as being fair. Trust me, the first episode was good, but I can't judge the series on only 1 episode

I don't plan on rating the Shenmue anime until I've seen all 13 episodes. I love Shenmue, but I'm not gonna rate it a perfect 10, as I don't see that as being fair. Trust me, the first episode was good, but I can't judge the series on only 1 episode
You can change your rating at any point though to be fair, and you can also state how many episodes you have viewed and then update that each week. I'm probably going to update my rating as the series continues and after it has finished and I have digested it all.

I haven’t even rated it or signed up for the site… I don’t see anything on the net to suggest anyone thinks it’s a 6/10 or worse, and I’ve read plenty of Shenmue criticism in the past on the sites I frequent, so I’ll assume pointless review bombing both ways. I don’t think i told anyone to rate it anything, by the way, so target your response at someone else.
Hermit said:
The review bombing on MAL is usually amongst fandoms of really popular shows. You rarely see review bombing for smaller shows, it makes no sense to target shows like this.

My passion for Shenmue is through the games. Games and tv are too different mediums. Just because I love Shenmue the game, it doesn't mean I should love Shenmue the anime, and I'm not going to fake it if it doesn't turn out to be very good.

I want as many Anime fans to watch the show as possible that was my original intention of this thread. As I know as someone who used to watch seasonal anime, I would decide what to watch based on information on MAL. When the Winter 2022 season for anime was about start I believe Shenmue the Animation had not been announced to air yet so many users might not have seen it on the site and youtubers who do videos on seasonal anime discussing what shows they will be checking out airing this period would not have picked it up or read the synopsis either.

Personally I believe the reason for the score currently is because not many users have rated it yet because they are unaware of it, not because of any sort of review bombing at all. On MAL more people have scored Shenmue the Movie, this might be due to there being only one episode out and shenmue the movie is complete but at the same time most anime airing such as AoT for instance get a score straight off the bat which reflects opinions.

To make it clear I don't want any push any review bombing but at the same time I do encourage anyone who genuinely did really enjoy the first episode and want others to check the show out to consider leaving a positive rating on this site, as this would help anime fans discover the franchise and give it a watch. Also when you Google, Shenmue the Animation the MAL score is the first rating that appears on the right handside of the search results.

I just wanted to share this information to as I enjoyed what was shown so far and think it deserves a decent score and thought many here might feel the same, also the possibility it could help more anime fans discover the show.

Last edited:
I'm giving it a 10 because I want the score to be as high as possible so that it catches more peoples interest in the show and gets the word out there.

That is all.

My actual view of the episode? 8.5/10. But I will put my actual rating when all the episodes are finished.
For now, this series needs our support.

The MAL numbers don't actually *mean* anything, but going up in the rankings surely makes it easier to discover as others have claimed. There's no problem gaming the score when it's this easy, which undoubtedly means others can do it too, and in the opposite direction. So why shouldn't we try to promote the anime like this? It's a victimless "crime", and personally I think the opening episode is worth putting trust in the rest of the season to be as good or better.

Wait for the series to conclude or leave an "honest" review if you like, but what kills me is the habit of this fanbase to very openly take chunks out of the franchise when you KNOW how precarious its future always is. If you are really bothered by the anime... you don't have to watch it and spend 13 weeks posting about stuff you hated or unfounded speculation about the production. I said similar about Shenmue III before release when there were endless nagging nit-picks and handwringing like people were actively gearing up not to enjoy it, if you're not getting good vibes you're not obligated to see it through!

Not picking on anybody specifically, and we try hard to respect as broad a range of opinions as possible, but this is a mindset I've seen on here for years and failed to ever understand it. If the games are your jam, cool. If the anime is your cup of tea, great. Let's just try and keep Shenmue alive, okay?

Hate to break it to you guys, but you’re never going to be able to out-weeb the weebs. I’ve no idea how MAL’s weighting system works, but at the time of writing the true average is 9.12. Whoever gave the game 1/2/3 must have a lot of say over there (probably because they give shitty ratings to so many anime to keep their favorites at the top).

Ok, I understand.
I don't know if I've ever seen an actual exchange so close to this meme before:

tumblr_om45kmphwg1vmzyato1_1280.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I am a big fan of Shenmue and usually keep up to date with the latest anime, I know that a lot of anime fans use the website My Anime List (MAL) to do this (it is like IMDB for anime).

From my experience whenever I would give a new show a chance or see what new shows are airing for a specific season this website is a good guide many people use. Also big youtubers in the Anime community do videos discussing upcoming shows using this website.

Currently, Shenmue The Animation has a rating of 6.53/10 , which is abit disappointing, I know if I did not know about Shenmue and if I was just an anime fan this score would put me off potentially giving the show a chance. On MAL anything considered good gets a 7 or above.

I know it is still early days but I am worried that this show might not take off and we will be stuck without Shenmue content again.

Please if you enjoyed the show and want to help it gain an audience within the Anime fan community, consider creating an account and select the "watching" dropdown and then a rating out of 10 then select how many episodes you have seen so far

https://myanimelist.net/anime/42808/Shenmue_the_Animation - Link to the My Anime List page for Shenmue The Animation

I just wanted to make you guys aware of this, I really enjoyed episode 1 and I can't wait for the weekly episodes also I hope there is an online service introduced to watch the English dub :)
Who gives two flying shits about freakin' MAL? Don't people just record their anime watch list on Microcock Word?

Hate to break it to you guys, but you’re never going to be able to out-weeb the weebs. I’ve no idea how MAL’s weighting system works, but at the time of writing the true average is 9.12. Whoever gave the game 1/2/3 must have a lot of say over there (probably because they give shitty ratings to so many anime to keep their favorites at the top).
In the score stats, there are actually 319 votes right now. not the 269 reported on the main page. So that updates on some sort of delay, it seems.

Lol, it’s obvious this is what’s happening. I can’t believe someone took exception to me suggesting it. Anyone’s more than welcome to say it’s not their favorite show or series, but I don’t believe there are dozens or hundreds of folks who think it’s a 1/10, especially based on the stuff I’m seeing online.

Last edited:
In the score stats, there are actually 319 votes right now. not the 269 reported on the main page. So that updates on some sort of delay, it seems.
Ahh. Good spot. Didn’t notice that. Even so, that would bring the score out to something like 7.69, right?

Ahh. Good spot. Didn’t notice that. Even so, that would bring the score out to something like 7.69, right?
Unless they throw out a certain number of the lowest and highest scores, or something. I don't know how they're actually calculating it, but I think it will end up going up a significant amount whenever it updates to include the latest tallies.

on better news, everytime I refresh the page I swear the member count grows by 100. Not bad. I think throughout the next week it could rise to 10k.

Edit: Rating just updated, it went down by .1 lol

Last edited:
Wait for the series to conclude or leave an "honest" review if you like, but what kills me is the habit of this fanbase to very openly take chunks out of the franchise when you KNOW how precarious its future always is. If you are really bothered by the anime... you don't have to watch it and spend 13 weeks posting about stuff you hated or unfounded speculation about the production. I said similar about Shenmue III before release when there were endless nagging nit-picks and handwringing like people were actively gearing up not to enjoy it, if you're not getting good vibes you're not obligated to see it through!
I couldn’t have said this better myself.

Looks like MAL uses a weighted system for scoring:

How are MyAnimeList scores calculated?
All scores given in the database are calculated as a weighted score.

Weighted Score = (v / (v + m)) * S + (m / (v + m)) * C
S = Average score for the anime/manga
v = Number users giving a score for the anime/manga †
m = Minimum number of scored users required to get a calculated score
C = The mean score across the entire Anime/Manga database
† Note that v does not correspond to the "number of scored users" as seen on the database page. Scores from users who have not viewed 1/5 of the series upon its completion are not included. Scores given from illegitimate accounts created to sway votes are also not included in the scoring algorithm.

Not Yet Aired entries have no score and will display N/A. Entries that do not meet the minimum number of scored users will also not display a calculated score.

Top Anime/Manga Rankings
The "Top Upcoming" and "Most Popular" rankings are ordered by the number of users who have added the entry to their list. All other Top Anime and Top Manga rankings are ordered by weighted score, as calculated above. Please note that while R18+ entries calculate a weighted score, they are excluded from the rankings.

Back