NEW YU SUZUKI GAME "AIR TWISTER" ANNOUNCED FOR APPLE ARCADE

For some reason it didn't dawn on me that I could use my work laptop to access Apple Arcade (new M1 Pro)...so I'll 100% be doing that :cool:

Will have to look up compatible controllers, though. I don't have many USB/Bluetooth pads with analogue sticks...

Game looks fun and visually bombastic in a "real arcade game" type of way. The bit of buzz I've seen has been very positive, too.

I’ve not played it so I don’t wanna defend it too much, but it looks weird and goofy in the same way random Namco and Sega games looked every time I walked into an arcade in the 90s. It’s funny watching some folks freak out over how garish and bizarre it appears. Fighting Vipers was a bit of an aesthetic mess, yknow, but overall it worked.

The “simple and easy gameplay” stuff on the site has me a little tentative. Hope it’s not too easy. But still a nice bonus since I already have Apple Arcade.

Man, when it was directly related to playing Shenmue III, people were all like "I'll play it on a Tiger Game.com if I have to!! Where do I send the money?!" But now that the matter is only slightly more indirectly about providing funds to YsNet, thereby helping them to stay afloat and open to the possibility of Shenmue IV, there's a bunch of "I've never used Apple products and I never will."

I just think personally my loyalty as a fan and supporter of Yu Suzuki projects is greater than any of my grudges against hardware manufacturers and platform holders. Ultimately the joy of games has to win out against the bitterness of business.

(On a related note, that's why later on this year I'll be getting my daughter something to play the new Pokemon on even though you can only play Pokemon on devices made by a certain company that I personally can't stand. If I can get the console used in good condition, that's how I'll do it. Sometimes you have to set aside the grudge for a greater purpose is all I'm saying.)

Man, when it was directly related to playing Shenmue III, people were all like "I'll play it on a Tiger Game.com if I have to!! Where do I send the money?!" But now that the matter is only slightly more indirectly about providing funds to YsNet, thereby helping them to stay afloat and open to the possibility of Shenmue IV, there's a bunch of "I've never used Apple products and I never will."

I just think personally my loyalty as a fan and supporter of Yu Suzuki projects is greater than any of my grudges against hardware manufacturers and platform holders. Ultimately the joy of games has to win out against the bitterness of business.

(On a related note, that's why later on this year I'll be getting my daughter something to play the new Pokemon on even though you can only play Pokemon on devices made by a certain company that I personally can't stand. If I can get the console used in good condition, that's how I'll do it. Sometimes you have to set aside the grudge for a greater purpose is all I'm saying.)
It doesn't matter this time around. The game is included on the Apple Arcade with a subscription, so either way Yu Suzuki gets a paycheck from Apple and not from users personally buying Air Twister. We shouldn't have to own an apple product for 1 game lol

It doesn't matter this time around. The game is included on the Apple Arcade with a subscription, so either way Yu Suzuki gets a paycheck from Apple and not from users personally buying Air Twister. We shouldn't have to own an apple product for 1 game lol
Sales will make no difference, really? I'm no fan of exclusivity but the same thing can be said of any exclusive game/platform combination. The point is in the long term it's not just about one game. I just wonder if some peoples' principled stand against this or that is actually undermining the long term goal? If I only associated with people and companies who 100% share my moral code I'd probably be some kind of hermit or monk.

Sales will make no difference, really? I'm no fan of exclusivity but the same thing can be said of any exclusive game/platform combination. The point is in the long term it's not just about one game. I just wonder if some peoples' principled stand against this or that is actually undermining the long term goal? If I only associated with people and companies who 100% share my moral code I'd probably be some kind of hermit or monk.
i like your spirit. but some of us are minimum wage (1000€ month here) and house takes 35-50%. The only Apples im buying are edible ones 🥲

i like your spirit. but some of us are minimum wage (1000€ month here) and house takes 35-50%. The only Apples im buying are edible ones 🥲
That is absolutely understandable! I have been in the same boat for many years. Definitely not trying to get anyone to spend outside their budget.

For the budget-conscious, there are used hardware options out there that should help.

Although the game is basically done and paid for with no personal financial risk to YsNet, would be nice if we could just support them anyway where possible. I know I'll be looking into it, even if eventually I hope it hits other platforms.

I agree with your last sentence and don't think anyone should buy anything they don't want to or can't afford. That said, according to Frankie, it does sound like it will help Ys Net receive additional funding if people actually play the game:
It's difficult to find actual numbers because you sign an NDA as part of the Apple Arcade paperwork. But from being in the dev community, the general murmurings is that it is a revenue share based upon percentage of user engagement for your particular game during the month.
If you are a relatively big name (like Yu Suzuki in this case, I'd imagine), then Apple often contributes or completely bankrolls development costs
I've read similar things about games on Gamepass and PS+ "free" games. No idea if it's true for those, but it sounds logical and believable, doesn't it?

They 100% take into account number of downloads, time played, boost in subs, etc. on these Apple Arcade games to judge its success. Signing up and putting time into Air Twister will most definitely help YS Net, maybe even moreso than buying a physical copy of Shenmue III (of which they probably receive little to no money from).

This looks pretty legit fire af for a mobile game, ngl. I'm pretty excited to try it out. I really want to know who's composing the music for this, because that BGM in the trailer is u n d e r r a t e d. Not really happy about the idea of signing up for Apple Arcade to play it, but oh well. Hopefully it will also be ported to PC at some point.

View attachment 16153

Not sure if I understand what Yu Suzuki means about chasing a hundred rabbits...
All seems to be related to mathematics of scale. The probability of catching one out of two rabbits is presumably quite low. Applying the law of large numbers, you can approach the true mean by increasing your sample size. Your probability of successfully catching one rabbit out of 100 is significantly greater than when compared with a sample of only two rabbits.

This looks pretty legit fire af for a mobile game, ngl. I'm pretty excited to try it out. I really want to know who's composing the music for this, because that BGM in the trailer is u n d e r r a t e d. Not really happy about the idea of signing up for Apple Arcade to play it, but oh well. Hopefully it will also be ported to PC at some point.

All seems to be related to mathematics of scale. The probability of catching one out of two rabbits is presumably quite low. Applying the law of large numbers, you can approach the true mean by increasing your sample size. Your probability of successfully catching one rabbit out of 100 is significantly greater than when compared with a sample of only two rabbits.
The music is from Valensia, both old songs and new tracks

Last edited:
Space Harrier meets Panzer Dragoon meets Rez, with a faux-Queen soundtrack and GIANT GEESE. 🤔😍

Will have to see if it runs on my old hand-me-down iPad, but if not it might end up elsewhere after a period of exclusivity, sans touch controls.

In regards to Shenmue IV, I think this is an interim project and not the only thing going on at YsNet. So keep your pants on, people.
Exactly what I got from it as well. I'd very much support and enjoy this I think if it released on PC or something. Looks like a game you'd find on Steam randomly browsing (not a bad thing lol).

I’d certainly like to see a win from Ys Net right about now, even if it’s an iOS game. The “Yu Suzuki hasn’t made anything good in years” stuff has gone on too long.

!!!

lots of new footage from IGN Japan!

Back