Next Big Shenmue update... March '19, with details Feb '19

Maybe Yu-san will just talk very little about Shenmue 3 Dec 16.

As expected, dead silence until February or March. Maybe we will get a screen or so, but looks like our first indication of a recent build will be in March.

March reveal will be 4-5 months left in development time, so hope it is very advanced.

As expected, dead silence until February or March. Maybe we will get a screen or so, but looks like our first indication of a recent build will be in March.

March reveal will be 4-5 months left in development time, so hope it is very advanced.
I imagine most of us will be expecting to see gameplay and some of the mechanics. If they are still going for August 27th then it will be pretty much the final build barring any tweaks.

While I'd not be surprised if there was a further delay (me thinking aloud) I'd take an extra few months if required. We've waited nearly 20 years for this so what's a few months to ensure the best possible final product.

March will be very interesting indeed.

So no Christmas update then.
I am confident we will receive a Christmas-themed 'update' wishing everyone a merry Christmas and a happy new year, as well as details on progress heading into 2019, same as the last three years. Nothing major, but an update nonetheless.

March is GDC time, so is this a possibility?

God bless everyone’s patience. Thank goodness we learned some Wude. In the meantime, I’m sure we’ll get tidbits here and there. Also, the less we know, the bigger the show.

Yeah, they're definitely gonna have to have a near-finished product if that's the next big date. No more WIP excuses... Hope that's why they're keeping their noses to the grindstone and waiting 'til March.

Is there a way to attend Magic Monaco or press only?

I thought it was just open to the public.

It is. I went. It's a very small conference compared to a lot of others that I've been to over the years. Met Dolph Lungdren, Yoji Shinkawa and Yu Suzuki though at the one in March, which was cool, so there's definitely money behind it to attract big names to it like that.

I feel there's going to be a real effort to meet the expectations people had for MAGIC this year... or at the very least pour cold water on the wilder ideas by announcing details ahead of the event itself.

There might be some smaller offerings between now and then, but honestly I'd rather radio silence continued. Each time the team has gone into a period of submergence they've come back with a better and more complete looking product, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got with an additional 7 months polish over Gamescom.

It is. I went. It's a very small conference compared to a lot of others that I've been to over the years. Met Dolph Lungdren, Yoji Shinkawa and Yu Suzuki though at the one in March, which was cool, so there's definitely money behind it to attract big names to it like that.

I wonder if it would be worth flying from the US to France to attend.

Cedric is hyping up his event again...I'm skeptical about the "Big" part in "Big Update"... Remember what we got earlier this year? Literally 4 screenshots.

If a "big" event is being hyped up for 5 months before release and only results in a few screens and no gameplay, people will start to worry and ask the tough questions.

I think they learned from the last MAGIC issue. I hope.

If a "big" event is being hyped up for 5 months before release and only results in a few screens and no gameplay, people will start to worry and ask the tough questions.

I think they learned from the last MAGIC issue. I hope.
Very true and rightly so. Though nothing surprises me with Shenmue.

Look on the bright side guys - they're announcing details of what to expect ahead of MAGIC itself, so we can all set our expectations from there.

Personally, between Cedric polling the community on what they want to see, tendering details ahead of the event itself, and being in spitting distance of the release date... I'll be going into this with optimism. At the very least it seems like a genuine effort to avoid the bad communication and false expectations of this year.

The only thing making me skeptical is the exposure of MAGIC itself. Shibuya supposedly has millions invested in Shenmue III, so I think they probably could command enough weight for something big, but you have to wonder about whether they'll hold back the really meaty stuff for another event with a wider reach.

At the high end of expectations, I think we'll get a gameplay teaser + screens. Anybody expecting a huge blowout probably won't get that here, but hopefully it's enough red meat for people to sit patiently until the next time the game surfaces. At the low end... gameplay screens and maybe a video showcasing English voice acting.

Either way I think the way this is being touted means there will be something to chew on.

I see it postive and I can wait. In fact the less they show about the game the better. Showing the unfished product is no good. Because it will be torn appart online in Internet Forums and on Youtube.

Shenmue 3 is an very difficult postition. And it must work hard to live up the Hype. I am quite sure that some old School fans will expect that Shenmue 3 will have a similar Impact than the first Shenmue had and that is quite impossible. Shenmue 3 won't the technical Marvel that Part one was. So some old fans could be sad.

And for the gamer Kids out there Shenmue 3 won't like good enough to be worth a try. Shenmue 3 is no Read Dead Remdeption 2 or Zero Horizon Down.

All that might sound negative but I have a very good Feeling about Shenmue 3.

It just has to play it's Cards the right way. With the right Story and right gameplay, both Things that are not limited by Budget are more important than Tech stuff anyway. And I am sure that Yu can deliver both Things.

Just look at games like Life is Strange 1. No technical Marvel but a nice game with great Art Style and Story. Shenmue 3 can be very similar to Life is Strange and then it will be sucessful.

Shenmue 3 just should not try to compete with contemporary Tripple A titles. This battle would just harm to game.

So some limited Marketing and just showing the game when it is ready would be the way. At least in my humble opinion.

Back