Next Big Shenmue update... March '19, with details Feb '19

A big reveal in March would be great, and surely at that point in the game they need to be showing gameplay, right?
I'm willing to be patient and wait it out, especially since it'll give me time to replay S1 & 2 once or twice in the meantime.

I really hope they can show off the game and make it look really great to put the negative fears to rest.

Looking at the pictures of Corey in the studio, I really feel a lot more at ease with the project.

No, we haven't seen recent screens or even gameplay yet. However, this is the closest we have come to having this finally feel like a real thing.

I'm excited to see what the additonal 7+ months of development reveals to us in March. I'm sure the facial animations and graphics will silence a lot of people in the end.

I really feel like Yu is really putting it all in for this entry. I think he wouldn't have shown either trailer before now if it wasn't for exterior pressure.

He strikes me as someone akin to developer Rockstar Games, who kept a ridgid choke collar on almost everything until closer to release for RDR2. He would rather show it when it's ready to be shown.

I really feel like Yu is really putting it all in for this entry. I think he wouldn't have shown either trailer before now if it wasn't for exterior pressure.

He strikes me as someone akin to developer Rockstar Games, who kept a ridgid choke collar on almost everything until closer to release for RDR2. He would rather show it when it's ready to be shown.

I think that's absolutely true. If you've read the interviews about the development of Space Harrier I linked to in the General Gaming subforum, he tells a funny story about how he hid the actual current state of the game from his superiors at Sega. He installed a physical switch in his desk so that any time he saw his boss come walking toward him, he could hit the switch and empty out the game's video RAM, causing it to look scrambled and unfinished. In this way he bought himself additional time to further develop and refine the game. (And as a serendipitous side effect, he occasionally kept some of the crazy color schemes that resulted from doing this because they looked cool.)

Of course nowadays, he has a lot more autonomy as a creator, but I think as long as he's able to play his cards close to his chest, he's going to continue to do so. He was quite clear that the gamescom trailer was only done reluctantly. Funding and development time are now ensured, so he is under no pressure to appease anyone in the press or public, and it will only increase the dramatic impact when he reveals the true state of the game and people are impressed with its beauty.

At the same time, I feel that he has kept his word about showing backers some of the development process along the way... albeit usually several months behind its current state.

A while back Cedric Biscay asked us what we wanted, and most asked for a gameplay demo of some sort. The Shenmue 3 kickstarter did promise a demo for certain backers, so I wonder if we will get a live gameplay demo at Monaco, or a downloadable one.

If there’s very little in March, I’d kiss August goodbye. I think they’re definitely far along though, which is why they aren’t releasing anything new. It takes too many resources to record trailers and new footage while they’re busy crunching.

It takes too many resources to record trailers and new footage
I mean... not really... I get it's not a priority but it shouldn't be something that takes a single person more than an hour or so to accomplish...

I mean... not really... I get it's not a priority but it shouldn't be something that takes a single person more than an hour or so to accomplish...
Actually yes, it can be.

There's the time spent in figuring out a concept, developing a shot list, the actual editing labour of cutting & mixing of a trailer, developing and animating any motion graphics, obtaining any required art assets, and having all these elements approved by stakeholders (I work in video production, trust me when I say all this shit can take time), but unfinished games have a secondary burden of "polishing" shots so they're ready to be seen by the public (see: the story behind Psychonauts 2's trailer).

Ys Net doesn't seem to take the same approach and a lot of what we see in their videos is an honest representation of where they are generally, but it's really just to make the point that it isn't as quick and easy as you may think.

But you are right in saying it's a matter of priority for Ys Net right now. They could put out footage on very short notice if they really wanted to, but where would any of that fit in their marketing plan?

Actually yes, it can be.

There's the time spent in figuring out a concept, developing a shot list, the actual editing labour of cutting & mixing of a trailer, developing and animating any motion graphics, obtaining any required art assets, and having all these elements approved by stakeholders (I work in video production, trust me when I say all this shit can take time), but unfinished games have a secondary burden of "polishing" shots so they're ready to be seen by the public (see: the story behind Psychonauts 2's trailer).

Ys Net doesn't seem to take the same approach and a lot of what we see in their videos is an honest representation of where they are generally, but it's really just to make the point that it isn't as quick and easy as you may think.

But you are right in saying it's a matter of priority for Ys Net right now. They could put out footage on very short notice if they really wanted to, but where would any of that fit in their marketing plan?
Ah well I was going by the quality of their previous trailers which seemed slapped together in five minutes lmfao but yes making an actual nice, proper trailer does take some time... still not that much time but definitely more than an hour...

Ah well I was going by the quality of their previous trailers which seemed slapped together in five minutes lmfao but yes making an actual nice, proper trailer does take some time... still not that much time but definitely more than an hour...
That's maybe a bit of an unfair view on the videos so far.

The only one that (by Ys Net's own admission) was put together on the spot was the Gamescom '17 progress video, and Gamescom '18's actual trailer was a big step up in editing values; even if I'd wager none of the shots were technically complete on any level.

It's going to be cool to see what comes next. MAGIC won't be until March, and even then I don't think what we'll be seeing is a trailer. 7+ months of development will hopefully mean the cinematics are complete enough for an editor to have plenty of good looking source material to work from.

I honestly believe we're gonna see Shenmue 3 gameplay for the first time. I mean, what more can they show? Another trailer? more images?! lol This time the material will be way more substancial.
Probably now with English voices already beein used now that they are in the recording process.
And don't forget Cedric Biscay's words "Big Update"

I honestly believe we're gonna see Shenmue 3 gameplay for the first time. I mean, what more can they show? Another trailer? more images?! lol This time the material will be way more substancial.
Probably now with English voices already beein used now that they are in the recording process.
And don't forget Cedric Biscay's words "Big Update"
I have to say I'm pretty upset that our trailers will be in English lmfao I definitely have to watch the Japanese ones...

There's zero chance of another delay in my opinion. I think we haven't seen gameplay yet because Yu Suzuki doesn't want to show the game in an unfinished state.

Just look at what happened with the lack of facial animation in the reveal trailer -- it had a negative impact on people's perception of the game, and I doubt that went unnoticed by Yu. Now just imagine if they showed gameplay footage that contained unfinished animations, graphics, music etc. There's a dozen websites who couldn't wait to write their "Shenmue III is looking rough" articles. You only get one gameplay reveal and it needs to look finished, because people are already skeptical about Shenmue III.

Not that it means much, if anything at all (it doesn't really) but back in September 2018, Cedric was asking fans what they should show for Shenmue 3 at Magic Monaco 2019, and liked a reply saying that there must be gameplay shown..

It's also worth noting that Shenmue III could easily appear at whatever event Sony has planned this year.

I mean, we all know they didn't skip out on E3 for no reason. I'm fairly certain that have some big things cooking.

It's true that some elements of Shenmue III's appeal won't lend themselves to the usual showreel trailer format. So when it comes to the big push, whenever that might be, I hope they bring back the likes of Ryan Payton and other talking heads to remark on these aspects, interspersed and overlaid with clips from the game.

I also think that the Standard way of Advertising with Trailers won't work for Shenmue. Do not get me wrong, I have no Problem with the graphics of Shenmue 3. I was already happy with the graphics of the first Teaser, and the new Trailers Looks way better. I would be even hyped a lot when they would Release Shenmue 3 with the Dreamcast graphics. I like the art style of the game no matter what .

But in order to appeal to the masses Shenmue must stick out with other Features than simple graphics. Graphics wouldn't be the selling point for Shenmue 3.

You cannot win new fans over with just graphics. In order to do you have to Showcase the Features of the whole game.

It is a good Thing that Shenmue 3 is among the most wanted games for 2019 at Eurogamer, but look at Shenmue 3 compared to the other games showcased in that Video. Shenmue does not stick out. It is a different art style compared to main stream games and won't appeal to Mainstream Gamers that much.

So lets hope that Y's net find other ways to advertise the game get new fans into the Shenmue Series.

Last edited:
Nice to see it in that list, but it's a shame the guy didn't do his research. Shenmue was never planned as a trilogy and, as well know, that has not changed. Shenmue 3 definitely won't be concluding the story, as stated a billion times by Suzuki himself.

Yes that's true. But thats normal for the YouTube Generation. Detailed Research is not a common trade on YouTube. Not even among the channels of big gaming News site. But still great that S3 was featured on a big gaming YouTube channel. The guy also threats S3 rather fair. Although he is scectical he is not bashing the game.

Not like other articles on the web where S3 is considered a failure already.

Back