Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
Well these early problem reports dont mean much.
I mean there are like 5, 10, 20 reports of broken PS5's or Xbox Series X or software glitches
and they are being retweeted and reposted in forums and stuff
and it makes it look like OMG so many broken next gen consoles, we have to be afraid,
but actually 98-99% of all the other ones on this whole planet are working totally fine.
You just dont hear about it because why should they post that their console is working.

Watch some Series X and PS5 streams on Twitch or Youtube, people are streaming stuff for hours with no problems.
Theres always a chance that your product could arrive damaged or its broken after one day.
It can happen to a washing machine, to a TV, or to your new graphics card.
And there is a chance that it will happen to your next gen console like there is a chance for everything else.
There will never be any kind of hardware software combination series that is 100% fail proof.
If your are afraid of "early adopter" problems, you shouldnt buy this stuff on day one.
I feel like this shit happens with every console launch. So far so good for me though. I haven't had any notable issues to speak of yet (touch wood)

And there is a chance that it will happen to your next gen console like there is a chance for everything else.
There will never be any kind of hardware software combination series that is 100% fail proof.
If your are afraid of "early adopter" problems, you shouldnt buy this stuff on day one.
Exactly. You just never know and I almost always ire on the side of caution. Plus generally the price has come down $50 to $100 by the time all the kinks have been worked out. And besides a few outstanding titles on day one, the better ones come out later so you are not missing much. However there are times where getting the first edition of a console is better, because they may use a better CD or DVD or what ever they use these days and the longer they are out the cheaper the parts they use. But that could also be the complete opposite. The only thing I have ever bought on day one and was even in line for (it was a short line thankfully, just me and one other person at the mall. ^^! ) was for the purple glacier Gameboy Advance and for Halo 2. 🤪

Finally jumped into next generation with PS5! Although I wanted to have it vertical I hate having visible cables so in the end I removed a drawer and moved some things around so I could place it in the centre of my media cabinet.

3jBwa1g.jpg

First impressions and quick thoughts;

- It’s really big and ungainly looking. I honestly wasn’t impressed by how machine looked in promotional shots and seeing it in person hasn’t changed my mind. I just don’t find the design aesthetically pleasing.

- UI isn’t as intuitive as I would like but maybe I am so used to PS4. Some commands take a lot more presses then I would like.

- New controller feels good, love the triggers and had a lot of fun with Astro Boy but not sure if it’s as game changing as others would have you believe. Although some of the sensations did surprise and make my girlfriend laugh while playing.

- Spider-Man is great, love ray traced reflections initially playing in fidelity mode. Only one soft crash so far when loading Shenmue 3.

All in all happy I was able to secure the machine but I think it’s going to take a while for true potential of machines to show.

Can anyone let me know how tall the PS5 is with the stand?

From Sony-

The PS5 console is approximately 390mm x 104mm x 260mm (width x height x depth), excluding the Base, and weighs in at around 4.5kg.

The PS5 Digital Edition console is approximately 390mm x 92mm x 260mm (width x height x depth), weighing in at around 3.9kg.

Last edited:
Finally jumped into next generation with PS5! Although I wanted to have it vertical I hate having visible cables so in the end I removed a drawer and moved some things around so I could place it in the centre of my media cabinet.

3jBwa1g.jpg

First impressions and quick thoughts;

- It’s really big and ungainly looking. I honestly wasn’t impressed by how machine looked in promotional shots and seeing it in person hasn’t changed my mind. I just don’t find the design aesthetically pleasing.

- UI isn’t as intuitive as I would like but maybe I am so used to PS4. Some commands take a lot more presses then I would like.

- New controller feels good, love the triggers and had a lot of fun with Astro Boy but not sure if it’s as game changing as others would have you be,I’ve. Although some of the sensations did surprise and make my girlfriend laugh while playing.

- Spider-Man is great, love ray traced reflections initially playing in fidelity mode. Only one soft crash so far when loading Shenmue 3.

All in all happy I was able to secure the machine but I think it’s going to take a while for true potential of machines to show.

From Sony-
I'm not a fan of it laying down at all but it does look good in your setup which looks extremely clean.

I would just be careful with that setup because like 80% of the PS5's heat comes out on the back of the console
(around 55°C when playing a 60 fps PS5 game)
which means pretty much the whole heat will be trapped in the closed area thats facing the wall
and it cant escape left or right or top or bottom.

I'm not a fan of it laying down at all but it does look good in your setup which looks extremely clean.

Thanks for compliment. Thankfully it isn’t as big of an eyesore in primarily white/minimalistic setup but I really hope we get serious revision in future.

I would just be careful with that setup because like 80% of the PS5's heat comes out on the back of the console

That’s a fair point, doing some reading I‘ve left 10cm on the sides and back for heat dissipation. In addition there’s hole behind and above the machine to let any additional hot air to escape. So far machine has been very quiet which is a pleasant change from my fire jet PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

3jBwa1g.jpg
Great set up, but the PS5 from this angle at least, looks like a VCR wrapped partially in white paper :D

Like many, I never buy a console at launch since I know how there can be bugs or other problems in the beginning. I also have a policy of never getting a new system unless there's at least five games I want to play. So far, the Demon's Souls remake ticks the box at one game I'm interested in. Now to wait for four more. Also might just hold out for the inevitable PS5 Slim.

Yeah, speaking about the German market I can totally confirm that most consumers over here consider Xbox a "second rate brand" or even don't notice it at all and it has been like that for 15 or more years. Xbox has failed to get a foothold in the German speaking markets for multiple console generations. Basically Playstation has been the brand for the last 20 years. If you're a Nintendo fan, you get the current Nintendo system, everyone else gets a Playstation. The only people I know who have an Xbox are hardcore gamers who have it as a second console next to a PS4. I can't think of anyone who has only an Xbox as their main console.

To most customers out there the world is simple. Playstation ="the" console, Nintendo =for Nintendo fans or kids, Xbox ="WTF is Xbox?", "it's got no games", "there's also Xbox but who cares?".

Even though this isn't true, it is how most people see it and I don't think one console generation will be enough for Xbox to shake off its stigma as "b brand" over here.
The majority of players I meet on Sea of Thieves (including my "occasional crew") are German. I always have Google Translate to German at the ready when I play it.

Yeah, speaking about the German market I can totally confirm that most consumers over here consider Xbox a "second rate brand" or even don't notice it at all and it has been like that for 15 or more years. Xbox has failed to get a foothold in the German speaking markets for multiple console generations. Basically Playstation has been the brand for the last 20 years. If you're a Nintendo fan, you get the current Nintendo system, everyone else gets a Playstation. The only people I know who have an Xbox are hardcore gamers who have it as a second console next to a PS4. I can't think of anyone who has only an Xbox as their main console.

To most customers out there the world is simple. Playstation ="the" console, Nintendo =for Nintendo fans or kids, Xbox ="WTF is Xbox?", "it's got no games", "there's also Xbox but who cares?".

Even though this isn't true, it is how most people see it and I don't think one console generation will be enough for Xbox to shake off its stigma as "b brand" over here.
Idem in Argentina.

Question to anyone who has a console in regards to the PlayStation Plus Collection or DLC Editions in general:

If you have a game which you bought on disc which has a download code to the DLC, will this work when you install the digital version of the game?
Example - I have the Fallout 4 Complete Edition, I've used the codes on my account, so I am assuming when I download the PS+ C' version, I can download that then the DLC content off the store and be set? (I'm hoping this applies for FF15, Battlefield 1 & Batman too.

Has there been any more incidents like The Last Guardian, in where having the disc version is better as you can avoid the patch to play without the capped framerate?

Looking at the list I own better versions of the following:
The Last Guardian - Unless PS5 gets a patch for it
Mortal Kombat XL - Better than the standard edition included
RE7 Gold Edition - While Not A Hero is free (& The best DLC) I'm guessing the PS+C version won't have the rest of the DLC?
Persona 5 Royal - Better than the standard edition included.

I'm trying to make space on my gaming shelf in prep for PS5 but want to keep the experiences with all the content I need so just trying to see what I can box away and what will remain.

Not the best picture but here's my setup. You can't see the PS4 but it's on the bottom shelf standing up. All the shelves are the same size and I find it so hard the PS5 is not going to fit standing up, which it won't. Will have to lay it down but as soon as a smaller one is released, I'm probably going to get it. IMG_20201116_113858.jpg

Haha I'd imagine so, they've been making "slim" revisions since the original Playstation. That's usually several years after launch though.
I actually have the PSOne (and the PS1). I bought it because I thought I would get the screen attachment and possibly play it out in the field. But the screen as I recall was not that cheap, although they did have third party ones as well or did later anyway and the batter life was not that great. And it simply would be too inconvenient to lug around in my rucksack and god forbid the Bradley rubs against a tree and destroys the contents inside my rucksack. :eek:

So I simply stuck with the Gameboy Advance for when going out in the field and when I had some down time. Others had the Gameboy SP which in hindsight would of been a better choice for field duty, especially out in a desert. But since I tend not to buy the same thing twice just because it is slightly different (ignore the PS1 and PSOne :sneaky:) I never bought it till years later. But the SP had the flip cover to protect it better. I believe it had wireless to make multiplayer easier and it had a back light, which was the real reason I bought mine years later when I did.

Yea... as much as I would of loved to of had the PSOne screen attachment, it simply would not of been practical. Plus it did not have the option for link cables which was a big thing for games like Command & Conquer Red Alert Retaliation. Now you want to hear of a pretty cool idea... the PS1's Pocket Station. It only came out in Japan, even though they did initially have plans to sell in the US. But the thing was so popular in Japan the memory card with the screen accessory sold out.

I assume they did not make more because it and the PS1 was still so popular, that they wanted to push the PS2 which was their new baby. There were a few games you could save to it and then take with you on the go like a portable and play it to level up and find secrets that only using it would allow for outside the main game. Final Fantasy 8 comes to mind. When I went to Japan I bought one, but later found it had dead pixels. Next time I go I will find a better one. The Dreamcast used a similar memory card.

Has anyone had any type of issues running digital copies of Shenmue 3 or Ghost of Tsushima on PS5? I know some games aren't backwards compatible and many are super glitchy. Anyone have personal experience with these two? Thanks!

I agree about the ludicrous game price issue. £100 for AC: Valhalla. Jesus fucking christ.

Not to sound old, but I used to buy Master System games from Grey Mare Lane Market for 50p. Mega Drive games were a couple of quid. Dreamcast? I think the most I spent was ten or fifteen on Shenmue. Even with the later consoles, the £40 standard held no weight with me, I have the patience to hold out until the complete edition (that means DLC included) is ~£20 or less. Only time I ever paid full whack was for a pre-ordered Mass Effect 3 as a present. Anything above that is just insane to me.

Then again, I think I spent $300 or summat on Shenmue III, so maybe I'm just a massive fucking hypocrite.

I’ve bought a few special editions in my life, but there’s a bit of a range with those. First I think was Halo Reach legendary which I almost regret, I think $100 for Red Dead Redemption 2? Black Box edition of Nier Automata which was great, and lastly the white snow edition of the Nier remake coming in late April, which I don’t doubt I’ll like.

But the thing is for me those digital deluxe editions, which don’t offer anything physical(obviously) just seem like a straight rip off when most of the stuff is very barely useful or ends up getting sold separately later or in a cheaper version.

If $70+ is to become the standard, though, that’s crossing the line for me even more and may well just keep me from buying anything new ever.

Back