Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
God I hate how expensive controllers have gotten. I'm thinking about just saying fuck it and going with the wired Power A Xbone controller for $25, but all the top customer reviews have me scared of getting a lemon. Plus I really want to try the new d-pad if I'm being completely honest...View attachment 9573
The wired PowerA Xbone controller is super stiff, I do not recommend it. Yes, it's better than any other affordable aftermarket Xbone controlller I've had(I resell these, so I've tried numerous brands), but it's still not a good alternative to a Microsoft branded controller, they're the only one thats worthwhile. Now, if you can get the PowerA for like $5 second hand as a temporary hold over? That's cool.

How are you guys planning to place your PS5’s? I am seeing if I can rearrange my media center and have it in the middle horizontally.

hZBdhci.jpg

Alternatively have it on the top left of TV cabinet in this this orentation but I believe the cables would be visible which I obviously don’t want. Decisions, decisions...
I'm leaving my PS5 in the shop until it loses a little weight and finishes crawling out of the white shell it's in.

More seriously though, depending on how much the outer white sleeve sticks out, you may get away with having it vertical without cables visible if you get some right angle cable adapters (for power, hdmi, etc).

Or take one of those freestanding lights away and put the PS5 in its place. You'll never know the difference...

Failing that, just build a new media centre already ;)

Last edited:
They sold over 113 million PS4 consoles (most successful console of this generation)
and there are reports of some big distributors
who said that the PS5 pre orders are surpassing the Xbox Series X pre orders by far.
For example one of the biggest distributors for the german speaking regions reported
that the ratio between PS5 and Xbox Series X (Series S included) is about 10:1
which would mean lets say there are 400.000 PS5 pre orders in Germany,
then there are only 30.000 pre orders for the new Xbox series.

So if Sony wants to get more cocky or stay cocky, i dont think they have to be afraid of losing customers.
I'm not a fan of the censorship stuff or that Sony can just apply their own protection of minors rules
even though we already have official rating companies for every region
or how they changed the PS5 first party games prices to 79,99
but if we look at the user numbers, it doesnt seem like the core of the community cares about that at all.

I think even the biggest controversial discussions are actually not that big,
those are discussions in different community bubbles
but the core God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone whatever players dont care about it at all.
They just want to pre order the new Demons Souls and thats it. A lot of people said they are fine with paying 580 USD / €
just to play Demons Souls. They wont care if Sony censors the next DoA Beach Vollyball game
or if they refuse to allow the next Senran Kagura game on the PS5.
I'm pretty sure Sony could simply ban this type of "asian erotic" content
and there would be controversial discussions about it for a couple of weeks but the core community would just move on.
Issue settled. Even if Sony scares away like 1-5% of the community with that,
1-3% of them will come back with the next three console exclusive games.
Sony would need to f up way bigger to hurt the hype fan core community.
Sony Playstation is not really a japanese brand anymore. Its more like a US brand with some japanese friends.

So i dont think Sony will approach us or developrs in a more friendly way.
Yeah, speaking about the German market I can totally confirm that most consumers over here consider Xbox a "second rate brand" or even don't notice it at all and it has been like that for 15 or more years. Xbox has failed to get a foothold in the German speaking markets for multiple console generations. Basically Playstation has been the brand for the last 20 years. If you're a Nintendo fan, you get the current Nintendo system, everyone else gets a Playstation. The only people I know who have an Xbox are hardcore gamers who have it as a second console next to a PS4. I can't think of anyone who has only an Xbox as their main console.

To most customers out there the world is simple. Playstation ="the" console, Nintendo =for Nintendo fans or kids, Xbox ="WTF is Xbox?", "it's got no games", "there's also Xbox but who cares?".

Even though this isn't true, it is how most people see it and I don't think one console generation will be enough for Xbox to shake off its stigma as "b brand" over here.

The poor baby isn't even born yet and you're already fat-shaming it.
I know, you're right, I'm a terrible person. Where's the 'hang head in abject horror at what I have become' emoji when you need it?

Last edited:
i would say that was true of current gen but with microsoft buying bethesda, they will definitely Have some have some AAA Exclusives in the future.
I keep hearing the "Xbox has no games" argument for almost 15 years now, can anyone tell me what games PlayStation has that supposedly gives it much better library than Xbox?? During the PS3 and PS4 console generations they had Ghost of Tsushima, Shenmue 3 and to a lesser extent The Last of Us Part 1, that's it. No other exclusives that are 'must play' or anything special. Granted, Xbox doesn't have any good exclusives in the 360 or XB1 era, but it's not like there are dozens of worthwhile exclusive games from Sony.

I have to disagree with you both. When they announced the Xbox One, the whole nonsense around always being online and coming with the Kinect left a really bad taste in my mouth but I would have got the console if there was a reason to.

Coming off the Xbox 360, I was a massive fan of Xbox. However, I already went through 3 Gears of War games that didn't change the formula much, Halo 4 which was a massive disappointment, Fable 2 which was significantly worse than the last one and Fable 3 which absolutely sucked. So when for Xbox One there was yet another Halo announced, another Gears of War announced, another Forza, no Fable, no Conkers Bad Fur Day and the latest Crackdown sucks; yeah, Xbox has no games, especially if you had a 360 for most of its lifespan.

Aside from the Wii U, this is the only console I haven't owned or had in my house. I can comfortably go without Halo and Gears because they're just so similar to their previous installments. I had the Halo books, a Master Chief helmet but zero interest in Halo 5.

When it comes to PlayStation 4, as a typical gamer, how could you miss out on God of War, The Last of Us, Horizon, Persona 5, Ghost of Tsushima and Spiderman? I'm not saying you have to love every game there but I would by a PS4 just for any one of those games. And I haven't even included other exclusives such as Until Dawn, Uncharted, Infamous, Street Fighter and many more.

I'm only half considering an Xbox One because of Fable and even then, I'll probably just stream it from my PC.

God of War, The Last of Us, Horizon, Persona 5, Ghost of Tsushima and Spiderman
I hated this gen so much, from your list of typical gamer "good" games 4 are open world games...

But, yeah during last gen Xbox did not much to get a strong portfolio and it had a perception of a halo gears forza machine.
During the PS3 and PS4 console generations they had Ghost of Tsushima, Shenmue 3 and to a lesser extent The Last of Us Part 1, that's it
Aside of what @Nathanial Essex already mentioned sony has most of the jrpgs like yakuzas, trails of cold steel, ff7 remake, Valkyria Chronicles, etc...

That's exactly what I mean. Most consumers would consider Yakuza a Playstation (console) exclusive franchise even though games like Yakuza 0 and 7 are on Xbox. But Xbox 's reputation as a no games machine /Forza, Gears machine is strong.

That's exactly what I mean. Most consumers would consider Yakuza a Playstation (console) exclusive franchise even though games like Yakuza 0 and 7 are on Xbox. But Xbox 's reputation as a no games machine /Forza, Gears machine is strong.
I've mentioned this a few times but Microsoft doesn't help itself by literally having studios that make one game. Santa Monica was one of a few Sony studios that didn't create a new franchise between during the PS3 and PS4 era yet there latest version of God of War was completely different.

@Creward, I agree with you. I played all the blockbuster games but this generation I played the least games any console I owned. I'll happily take sequels to these games but wish there was more top quality, non AAA games.

Xbox 360 was the console where I played the most games but the reason that changed for this generation -

• Used to play WWE games but the quality significantly dropped as they try to turn them into a simulator and not focus on it simply being fun.
  • Used to love the Tom Clancy games, especially Ghost Recon, until they turned them all into Open World games.
  • Didn't buy Mass Effect or Anthem as EA predictably ruined BioWare.
  • I won't be buying the latest PES game which makes it the first year I've gone without a football games. This is because of a severe lack of innovation, even if it was just adding online co-op or multiplayer to Master League but focus seems to be on the side game with where you buy players.
  • Only racing game I've had this generation is Mario Kart where I used to buy them previous gen.
  • Lastly and generally speaking, there's been a lack of quality games that are not AAA.

I keep hearing the "Xbox has no games" argument for almost 15 years now, can anyone tell me what games PlayStation has that supposedly gives it much better library than Xbox?? During the PS3 and PS4 console generations they had Ghost of Tsushima, Shenmue 3 and to a lesser extent The Last of Us Part 1, that's it. No other exclusives that are 'must play' or anything special. Granted, Xbox doesn't have any good exclusives in the 360 or XB1 era, but it's not like there are dozens of worthwhile exclusive games from Sony.

I'm not going to comment on the Box side of things, but just because you personally weren't a fan of a console's library, doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of quality titles to be had.

I mean, this isn't like an Atari 5200 or Sega 32X situation, come on now.

ps5 controller does not work with the ps4 (yet) but works with the ps3 ( no rumble)

A REALLY big positive to me as I have been looking for a new PS3 controller - I bought some official ones a few years back and despite being official they were cheap and taky products.I know you can use the Dualshock 3 on the PS4 too but the MiroUSB wire would often fall out.

Reactions: red
My brother is a bigger gamer than me but has be lounging around when it comes to getting a PS5 on launch. He didn't even know the release date. To be fair to him, it's only the second time he will be buying a console himself and he didn't get a PS4 at launch so had no real idea how scarce these things can get.

Anyway, a friend of his managed to pre-order two with the idea of selling one for a profit. Said friend found out he didn't manage to order one so is selling it to my brother at the normal retail price. Lucky bugger.

Back