Panzer Dragoon Remake - Switch Trailer (Now also available on: Steam, GOG, Amazon Luna, PS4 & Xbox One)

I really hope the PS4 version isn't that far off :cry:

It is a good pc remake? I am tempted to buy it if so to support sega pc releases even if I csn not wuire play it yet.

Can I ask whats the big deal? I look at it and really try to get in but I cant

And about the nostalgia factor, I feel like I'd think the same 25 years ago

Its fine if it is not for you, not everyone likes all genres. It is a big deal for some Sega fans:
  • Sega remembering it has the IP.
  • Sega remembering it still has fans.
  • Sega willing to remake sega saturn games.
  • Sega doing those remakes on all platforms.
  • Sega might be able to remake panzer dragoon saga if this sells well enough.
I wouls buy day1 remakes/remasters of Saturn games on PC like Guardian Heroes, Shining Force 3, etc... Since physical consoles become harder to repair. My Saturn doed a year ago.

Eveyone buys the remaster/remakes they feel like, for example, I find weird someone would buy the rumored Mass Effect remaster since the games are not that old, thet havent age that much and I still can play them on Pc.

I have such mixed feelings over this remake all because of one stupid change. The remake itself in general really wowed me, I have to say. I was a bit of a hater before, but I think the combination of playing it for myself and all the patches they did post Switch launch have really helped tremendously. The visuals are stunning, the shooting feels great, the aiming feels great (as does the new analog aiming once you acclimate to it), 60fps 59fps actually currently, but devs are aware of the issue feels great. I've even come to terms with all the artistic changes they made to the levels themselves. Yeah they don't really have the same feeling anymore, but they're beautiful in their own way, and some of the later stages come closer to feeling like the original that you'd expect.

My big issue that almost derails all of this is how badly they nerfed the difficulty. All enemies probably do about a third of the damage they originally did. Reading around a little bit, this damage change was done during one of the Switch patches. I'm sure plenty of people won't see this as that big of a deal, but I really feel the difficulty of the original Panzer Dragoon was fundamental to engaging the player. I think newcomers will just blast through the game on their first attempt now and never learn the levels/enemy encounters/etc. They'll never have to replay a stage, and they'll never come to appreciate the genius of the game's design as a result. I don't think I would've enjoyed the game nearly as much if this is how I first played it. Dying, replaying, analyzing, and learning is such an integral part of the experience. The game already had an easy mode, and if that didn't cut-it they could've just added an even easier mode under that. I don't understand why they had to hit normal and hard difficulty with this as well.

It is a good pc remake? I am tempted to buy it if so to support sega pc releases even if I csn not wuire play it yet.
ATM there's an issue with framepacing, but the devs seem to be all over that now. I was able to fix the screen-tearing by forcing Radeon Enhanced Sync. Forcing V-sync didn't work for me, but for people with Nvidia GPUs it did. Aside from that which it sounds like they'll patch, I think it's a pretty good port. Much better than I was expecting when the base game was Switch, anyways.

My big issue that almost derails all of this is how badly they nerfed the difficulty. All enemies probably do about a third of the damage they originally did.

I remember reading an interview with Yukio Futatsugi where he said that if he could change one thing, it would be to scale down the difficulty of the original. He'd also make the underground section of Saga less longer.
So, it's probably a good thing to have the Saturn original as it is and the remake a bit easier?
Still looking forward to giving this a blast on Monday on PS4 though!

My big issue that almost derails all of this is how badly they nerfed the difficulty. All enemies probably do about a third of the damage they originally did. Reading around a little bit, this damage change was done during one of the Switch patches. I'm sure plenty of people won't see this as that big of a deal, but I really feel the difficulty of the original Panzer Dragoon was fundamental to engaging the player. I think newcomers will just blast through the game on their first attempt now and never learn the levels/enemy encounters/etc. They'll never have to replay a stage, and they'll never come to appreciate the genius of the game's design as a result. I don't think I would've enjoyed the game nearly as much if this is how I first played it. Dying, replaying, analyzing, and learning is such an integral part of the experience. The game already had an easy mode, and if that didn't cut-it they could've just added an even easier mode under that. I don't understand why they had to hit normal and hard difficulty with this as well.

I am one of those people that are glad that video games have become easier. Now that I'm a adult I dont have the same time to dedicate to video games. I'm glad I can still experience the full games without try to master the in and outs. I do see your point as well.

I remember reading an interview with Yukio Futatsugi where he said that if he could change one thing, it would be to scale down the difficulty of the original. He'd also make the underground section of Saga less longer.
So, it's probably a good thing to have the Saturn original as it is and the remake a bit easier?
Still looking forward to giving this a blast on Monday on PS4 though!
That's interesting, I did not know that.
I am one of those people that are glad that video games have become easier. Now that I'm a adult I dont have the same time to dedicate to video games. I'm glad I can still experience the full games without try to master the in and outs. I do see your point as well.
That's totally fine, and sometimes I just want to relax with a game too. I just think it was completely overkill in this case. At the very least, I don't understand why they couldn't have just left the damage in Hard mode alone for when we actually want a challenge.

I have such mixed feelings over this remake all because of one stupid change. The remake itself in general really wowed me, I have to say. I was a bit of a hater before, but I think the combination of playing it for myself and all the patches they did post Switch launch have really helped tremendously. The visuals are stunning, the shooting feels great, the aiming feels great (as does the new analog aiming once you acclimate to it), 60fps 59fps actually currently, but devs are aware of the issue feels great. I've even come to terms with all the artistic changes they made to the levels themselves. Yeah they don't really have the same feeling anymore, but they're beautiful in their own way, and some of the later stages come closer to feeling like the original that you'd expect.

ATM there's an issue with framepacing, but the devs seem to be all over that now. I was able to fix the screen-tearing by forcing Radeon Enhanced Sync. Forcing V-sync didn't work for me, but for people with Nvidia GPUs it did. Aside from that which it sounds like they'll patch, I think it's a pretty good port. Much better than I was expecting when the base game was Switch, anyways.
Oki, thanks, based on what you said I went and bought it!

Alright sorry to keep bitching because I know no one but me even cares about this shit... BUT I just replayed through the Saturn version on Normal (or rather up to stage 5 whereupon I got obliterated like usual) and noticed there are also WAY less enemies to shoot down in the remake on Normal. In Hard mode of the remake they're added back, but I think there might be a little less enemies than Hard on Saturn. Not completely sure on that though, would have to count because if there's a difference in enemy count between Normal and Hard on Saturn, it's a fairly small one. Also for some reason the stage 2 boss almost never attacks in the remake regardless of difficulty.

I don't mean to sound like I fucking hate the remake or anything, because tbh it's an absolute blast. Just gotta bitch somewhere.

Alright sorry to keep bitching because I know no one but me even cares about this shit... BUT I just replayed through the Saturn version on Normal (or rather up to stage 5 whereupon I got obliterated like usual) and noticed there are also WAY less enemies to shoot down in the remake on Normal. In Hard mode of the remake they're added back, but I think there might be a little less enemies than Hard on Saturn. Not completely sure on that though, would have to count because if there's a difference in enemy count between Normal and Hard on Saturn, it's a fairly small one. Also for some reason the stage 2 boss almost never attacks in the remake regardless of difficulty.

I don't mean to sound like I fucking hate the remake or anything, because tbh it's an absolute blast. Just gotta bitch somewhere.
The difficulty aspect is an interesting point, for me. I was looking at the -10% release price on GOG, and thinking about buying it, but while I like the difficulty in Zwei better than the first game, I do agree that meeting setbacks can help to force players to recognize things they otherwise wouldn't. It's too bad they didn't just put in a "Classic" mode for difficulty, along with whatever tweaks they wanted to make to allow for greater accessibility.

The big deal in terms of the remake, or the original? For the original Saturn game, it was partly a matter of when it was released. It was a really visually striking, full-3D style at a time where 3D was still pretty primitive, and that sort of artistry was far from common. It was also a 3D shooter that actually allowed for rotating the camera for a 360-degree view. The orchestral soundtrack was another. In some ways, it was a bit of a technical demonstration, at the time. That's part of the reason I like Zwei more, though, for really pulling everything together (minus the orchestral soundtrack; although I like the OST in Zwei more as well) into a really complete adventure, with breathtaking scenery, some really incredible camera work, and more involved story.

The difficulty aspect is an interesting point, for me. I was looking at the -10% release price on GOG, and thinking about buying it, but while I like the difficulty in Zwei better than the first game, I do agree that meeting setbacks can help to force players to recognize things they otherwise wouldn't. It's too bad they didn't just put in a "Classic" mode for difficulty, along with whatever tweaks they wanted to make to allow for greater accessibility.

The big deal in terms of the remake, or the original? For the original Saturn game, it was partly a matter of when it was released. It was a really visually striking, full-3D style at a time where 3D was still pretty primitive, and that sort of artistry was far from common. It was also a 3D shooter that actually allowed for rotating the camera for a 360-degree view. The orchestral soundtrack was another. In some ways, it was a bit of a technical demonstration, at the time. That's part of the reason I like Zwei more, though, for really pulling everything together (minus the orchestral soundtrack; although I like the OST in Zwei more as well) into a really complete adventure, with breathtaking scenery, some really incredible camera work, and more involved story.
This is what I'm talking about lol.

And it was 1:30 hour long like the remake? Because I know games that time were kinda shorter but 1:30h seems ridiculous to me even for those standards

When this is on sale I'll be grabbing it on Switch. Never been a huge fan (despite owning Zwei and Orta) but I like to support these SEGA releases.

Gimme dat Alex Kidd in Miracle World remake noowww.

ITS UP

Back