PlayStation 5

Currently playing
Yakuza 0 (PS4)
PSN
HoshiGAKiteiku
So, Mark Cerny, the lead architect of the PlayStation 4 and now The PlayStation 5 (tentative name) just confirmed a lot of details about Sony's new console, and for console specs it's pretty damn beefy. It'll be fully backwards compatible and it'll fully support Ray Tracing. Shenmue 3 is going to look amazing on the system, even more so if the do a patch that takes advantage of the new features.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

So, Mark Cerny, the lead architect of the PlayStation 4 and now The PlayStation 5 (tentative name) just confirmed a lot of details about Sony's new console, and for console specs it's pretty damn beefy. It'll be fully backwards compatible and it'll fully support Ray Tracing. Shenmue 3 is going to look amazing on the system, even more so if the do a patch that takes advantage of the new features.

For console specs, it is borderline unbelievable to be honest. Obviously, it's true since it comes from Cerny himself. A console capable of raytracing and 8K upscaling with an SSD? That is unheard of in a console...and a true change in how people will see consoles compared to PCs.

PS4 Backwards Compatibility is confirmed, so Shenmue III won't lose out and may be enhanced depending on what they do. This means no delay is possible now. The hype is heating up.

Ray Tracing is not yet ready for the mass market though. So your comment is still funny in a manner speaking. It is not eve nclear if the so called next gen hardware will support Ray Tracing at all. Maybe in S4 this might be a possibility but not in 3. I also do think they will re release it on the next gen. For a Next Gen Game Shenmue does not look good enough. But let's wait and see.

Cross posting this from the Shenmue 3 random thoughts thread.

Just thought it was interesting since it's been talked about.
If this is out of line or not not allowed, please feel free to remove it.

Here are some details of specs on the PlayStation 5 confirmed by it's lead architect Mark Cerny, in an exclusive interview with Wired. Mark Cerny was also the lead architect for the PlayStation 4. Cerny is also a pivotal pivotal that has helped Sony produce many games including helping Insomniac with Spider-Man PS4, and Spyro the Dragon on the original PlayStation. Okay, enough fanboying. Onto the deets.

PlayStation 5 will have

Next gen audio solution, aided by ray tracing (whatever that means)
8 core AMD 7nm Zen 2
8K internal HD rendering
It'll be fully backwards compatible with PlayStation 4 media
AMD Navi GPU with fully supported Ray-tracing
Next Gen VR, but also current PSVR compatible
It will fully support physical media
SSD that is ~19x faster than internal PS4 HDD
WILL NOT release in 2019. Potential 2020 release date.

Cerny also notes that PlayStation has been really innovative with cloud gaming in the past, so expect PS5 to raise the bar even further.
There was no mention of services or PSN or things like that.

Last edited:
For console specs, it is borderline unbelievable to be honest. Obviously, it's true since it comes from Cerny himself. A console capable of raytracing and 8K upscaling with an SSD? That is unheard of in a console...and a true change in how people will see consoles compared to PCs.

PS4 Backwards Compatibility is confirmed, so Shenmue III won't lose out and may be enhanced depending on what they do. This means no delay is possible now. The hype is heating up.

They're not gonna delay Shenmue 3 for PS5, as PS5 does not release in 2019. At most. maaaybe expect a patch a long while after release.

No Shenmue 3 is a ps4 title for sure but maybe the ps5 hardware can improve it visually a bit, like the ps4 pro does with current gen hardware. Would be at least in the realms off possibility.

I know and fully acknowledge the evolution of data storage and all that jazz, but I would gladly pay an extra $50.00 to get a hard drive-based storage option.

I don't like clouds and you can't play if you are remote or if internet is down.

I know and fully acknowledge the evolution of data storage and all that jazz, but I would gladly pay an extra $50.00 to get a hard drive-based storage option.

I don't like clouds and you can't play if you are remote or if internet is down.

What? Did you read anything I posted? Or any of the article at all? It has internal storage space. It's not a cloud only console. It's an SSD. It supports discs as well.

Next gen audio solution, aided by ray tracing (whatever that means)
8 core AMD 7nm Zen 2
8K internal HD rendering
It'll be fully backwards compatible with PlayStation 4 media
AMD Navi GPU with fully supported Ray-tracing
Next Gen VR, but also current PSVR compatible
It will fully support physical media
SSD that is ~19x faster than internal PS4 HDD
WILL NOT release in 2019. Potential 2020 release date.

The rumor is that it'll be 2TB of internal storage.

Also, there is zero reason for it not to support usb external storage as well, since the PS4 already does.

I would not buy or hype up an all cloud console. I'm physical only and game ownership is very important to me.

1. Link is blocked at work.
  2. Pardon my massive ignorance, but I had no clue that a SSD can be used for storage; despite being around for quite a bit of time now, I have never read up on one or looked into one, so I have 0 clue about what a SSD is, apart from the fact it is exponentially faster.

Calm down.

2. Pardon my massive ignorance, but I had no clue that a SSD can be used for storage; despite being around for quite a bit of time now, I have never read up on one or looked into one, so I have 0 clue about what a SSD is, apart from the fact it is exponentially faster.
Calm down.

Regardless. It has what you desire.

Shenmue III Remastered for PS5 coming soon from Y$ Net...

Cheers for posting the article, what I'll do is merge all comments made in other topics to this one.

It certainly makes for interesting rwading. The use of an SSD is interesting as they are typically slightly more expensive then HDD but personally the cost trade-off is worth it. VR is good as I plan on getting it.

What? Did you read anything I posted? Or any of the article at all? It has internal storage space. It's not a cloud only console. It's an SSD. It supports discs as well.

No need to jump down the persons throat there, you could have just pointed them to the part of the article that clarified the question/comment.

Cheers for posting the article, what I'll do is merge all comments made in other topics to this one.

It certainly makes for interesting rwading. The use of an SSD is interesting as they are typically slightly more expensive then HDD but personally the cost trade-off is worth it. VR is good as I plan on getting it.

No need to jump down the persons throat there, you could have just pointed them to the part of the article that clarified the question/comment.

Sorry, sometimes I forget not everyone is informed about technology as others are.

Calm down.

Yep, an SSD is the same as a HDD except it has no moving parts (uses chips rather than platters) so it's MUCH faster. I already replaced my PS4 HDD with an SSD so seeing that it comes standard is great!

Yep, an SSD is the same as a HDD except it has no moving parts (uses chips rather than platters) so it's MUCH faster. I already replaced my PS4 HDD with an SSD so seeing that it comes standard is great!

VERY interesting; just that alone paints a clearer picture! lol

Many thanks!

Holding out very slim glimmer of hope it is powerful enough to 100% emulate PS2 and PS3 games (and they task the software to the Bleem guy they hired after bankrupting them). The PS4 BC alone makes me want to save for a launch model (last two generations i've waited until the inevitably remodel). Hell, use the fancy chipset to have two of their cores dedicated to EE and CELL for 100% hardware compatibility (never going to happen).

Holding out very slim glimmer of hope it is powerful enough to 100% emulate PS2 and PS3 games (and they task the software to the Bleem guy they hired after bankrupting them). The PS4 BC alone makes me want to save for a launch model (last two generations i've waited until the inevitably remodel). Hell, use the fancy chipset to have two of their cores dedicated to EE and CELL for 100% hardware compatibility (never going to happen).
Man, could you imagine if they just called it The Playstation and made it backwards compatible with all PS consoles back to PS1? I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Hell, throw in a UMD drive on the side so I can play FFVII Crisis Core in 4k! :p

Back