PlayStation 5

Thank God this thing is fully backwards compatible. ?
Is that confirmed? So it won't be light the Xbox One that randomly selects titles to make backwards compatible each month?

I'll be interested to know how that will work, will we be able to integrate the PS4 titles DLC & updates on the PS5?... Sadly many games these days are dependent on them.

Sorry, I don't buy the specs. Consoles have always been on the low-end gaming PC levels. And now with PS5 you get the whole console probably cheaper than a decent graphics card ALONE. I don't think so.

I'm just glad Sony isn't shifting toward cloud gaming like Google and Microsoft. I want to physically own my games. Not this subscription model stuff.

Dont think they ever will, or at least not for or another generation or two. Japan loves physical sets and collection. Dunno if confirmed or not--despite being Sony's horse--somewhat surprised if still bluRay. Expecting by PS6 even Sony will be on some sort of DS/Switch-esque flash card format.

Btw Sony admitted (on the same day as the hardware article was posted)
that they still want to use / are using their own content rating system
and that they dont trust ratings from ESRB, PEGI, USK and so on.
They want to "protect the reputation of the company". This whole thing got started by the #metoo movement
and the general acceptance and growth of gaming today.
They are mostly talking about games with erotic content that fit into "Japanese standards" but not into "western standards"
and how different games could be a problem because they have a "bad taste" or they arent "socially accepted".

So Sony still wants to walk the same path with their own moral code.
They are telling the (japanese) developers exactly what is okay and what isn't,
even if the official age rating authorities already said that its okay. And even if its a series of games that were okay before,
Sony can and will say that its not okay anymore.
Also they are saying that its "for the protection of kids" - and here is the really weird part
because Sony released dozens of videos and articles on how to activate the safety functions of the PS4,
so that Kids can only start specific games, but nevertheless Sony is still censoring games that are for adults only.
(even if the game is already rated and available uncensored on other platforms)

For comparison: Nintendo fully trusts in the ratings by ESRB, PEGI and so on.
Microsoft doesnt comment on the topic but they are clearly not taking the Sony path.
Sony wants to dictate you what is okay and what is not with their own moral code.
They think their moral code is more valuable than the ratings from the age rating companies
and they intervene into the development process of japanese studios
because they are afraid of problems with the western market.

Just a reminder. Decide for yourself what you want to support.

Last edited:
That is bad somehow, but I still need to support Sony. Because I do not like the completion. Nintendo is child company, their last real gaming console was the Gamecube. Then they went crazy with casual gaming stuff, weak consoles and no serious games with serious story telling. The Xbox is a good second console for MS exclusives but hast not as man good story driven games as Sony. Story driven games are my favorite genre and nobody beats Sony in that regrade .

And yet Sony is not going dangerous path for my need. I am too old to care about naked video games characters, Sony is 20 years to late to make me angry with such things. So there is no reason at least for me to retreat from Sony. But that does not mean this could not change. They could do more censoring that is a concern for more gamers. You never now..

I think this path is very problematic because you will never know where Sony stops or goes.
If they dont care about the opinions from the age rating companies or their customers,
you pretty much have to rely on that Sony makes the right choice for YOU.

It started with super small indie games, then they revised some of the AA games,
then they came across Devil May Cry 5 ...
Some japanese chief developers already quit their jobs
because they cant work on their games anymore with such restrictions.

If you have to trust the moral code of somebody else who lives in a totally different country ...
how can this work? There is no global moral code.
And when the official age rating companies say that game XYZ is okay with a "adult only" rating,
why would you censor it even more? Its already for adults only.

So if you are okay with censorship now because you have no interest in these type of games,
then you are giving Sony a free pass to go even further if they want to.
Sony already butts in the development process and they demand changes on things that are fictional / art.
Not because they have to, but because they want to. Who knows where they will stop,
who knows what projects already got canceled because of this?

I like the PS4 very much and the PS5 hardware news sound awesome,
but i'm not okay with demanding censorship just because someone out there thinks that he knows whats best for me.
Thats stupid.

Last edited:
It is problematic that is true but giving up gaming because of that would be a bit too extreme. And for me there is no alternative for Sony. There is not single nintendo franchise I really like, so the switch is out of the question. Playing Muliplat titles on the weaker switch also does not sound reasonable. Microsoft has no answer to the big single player franchises that Sony has to offer. And it is unlikely that will change.

But the biggest weak point of Ms is their path with cloud. I do not have the technical means to play streaming games. And even downloading games takes hours. I am faster if I go to my local gamestop or Saturn buy the games there and head back home then waiting for the download.

Sony on the other hand still will offer a disc slot (presumably ) so they are the first logical choice for my needs. MS wants a online only future. They are just testing their waters now the disc less xbox one s.

As long as Sony has no serious competition that caters the same games as Sony I need to stick with Sony although not happy with everything they do. But there is no alternative I am afraid.

@Tosh Society is in a massive state of overcorrection because of the #metoo movement and Trump and whatnot. Just about anything that may be seen as offensive to a group is either censored or removed. I feel like it's unsustainable and companies will begin to lighten up. That's not to say everything should be allowed because there are certain things that truly have no place in society but, dammit, I'm a grown ass men so if I want to see some gratuitous nudity, let me decide! ;)

It may force game publishers to follow in the steps of the music industry and publish clean and uncut versions. Interesting times.

Those of you who don't believe it can have the power it seemingly claims to are blinded by what consoles used to be constrained by.

The Jaguar CPU was always a bottleneck back when the PS4 was first revealed. It is also worth noting that when Sony upped the RAM in PS4, people believed that was "impossible", especially for $399.

These new systems are powered by a massively more powerful multi-core CPU and a GPU, exclusively designed for Sony, in development for over 4 years. We have no idea what deals they got in this. RAM prices can drop and what might cost us $200 may cost them 50% or less of that, we don't know.

Technology has radically advanced. If a reputable, top-class developers employee specifies via Twitter that it has hardware ray tracing, then it most likely does.

Could it hit 14 Tflops of power? Maybe--we know from a credible journalist both Sony and MS are aiming higher than Google's 10.7 Tflops. We need development kit leaks...and those will come very soon.

Sony is the undisputed king of the console world and they know it. They also make ludicrous amounts of money in PSN revenue from PS+, PS Now, PS Vue, etc. They could easily eat a $100 loss per console, maybe more(but no more than $200).

I don't mean to say that PC gaming won't be more powerful(it always is), but I wouldn't underestimate both Sony and MS taking a loss for this kind of power.

Some of it I don't care much for--8K? Jesus, I have a 4k TV and things look fantastic. 8K seems like it would be indiscernible to a human eye unless you had a gigantic screen and 8K TVs cost thousands, even tens of.

The biggest thing I want to see is if they decide to include full BC across the entire generation of PlayStation.

PS1/PS2 are easily done as each is 20+ years old by PS5 release, but PS3 is a tough beast with its unique CELL architecture. If they pull if off, its gonna be a hard console to pass up for many people.

Last edited:
This thread is exclusively about Playstation 5 hardware and software discussion, let's keep it that way please.

Another thing to add to this---Microsoft has come a long way and definitely has the wallet and technological know-how to build a system with a power focus.

That doesn't mean Sony can't or won't. I see a lot of bold claims out there that the Xbox will be more powerful. It probably will be, but I don't think it will be by a lot.

CPU and GPU are set, most likely. However, clock speeds are not. They can easily up those in response to whatever Microsoft does, as well as up the RAM anytime before production begins sometime next year or even this year(if they are aiming for March 2020, which some have said), since RAM prices can drop.

Don't forget all those years ago, Sony left a welt on Microsoft that took years to heal. It was probably the most embarrassed I've ever seen a company be made, even outside of gaming. They are not afraid to go head-on against them, even in a power war.

As I've always done since the turn of the century, I will reserve hype. I've never not regretted buying a modern console at launch...

In my humble opinion BC beyond PS4 is pointless. BC with PS4 titles is a must, so you can re use your collection of PS4 games. Emulation for ps3 would be nice but not sure if is technically feasible. but BC for PS2 and Ps1 games is bad idea. The anboys in the internet demand it but most of them won't use it. I have nothing against retro games on modern screens, I got a framemeister for that and use original hardware and it looks good on my 4 screen. The emulation of the ps3 for ps1 and ps2 titles is not good good. I prefer using original hardware and dedicated scaler. With the scaler you can use the correct aspect ratio 4:3 and the game is not stretched to 16:9 like the ps3 did.

I'd certainly much rather have an all in one PLAYSTATION ABSOLUTE UNIT that plays everything, same with xbox, but I really my tastes aren't the majority and these companies would probably lose a lot of money catering to mine...

I'd certainly much rather have an all in one PLAYSTATION ABSOLUTE UNIT that plays everything, same with xbox, but I really my tastes aren't the majority and these companies would probably lose a lot of money catering to mine...

Nah, the only X factor is PS3. It was a notoriously difficult system to develop for and even more so for emulation.

PS1 and PS2 are easily done. You can run PS1 emulation on even the most basic of smartphones now, probably PS2 also.

Microsoft went all-in on optimizing Xbox and Xbox 360 games for BC. They are still adding games even now and it has proven there is a considerable market for it.

They went back to the OG Xbox, so there is good reason to think Sony may do that. For those who love RPGs, it was arguably the Golden Age in the PS1/PS2 eras.

Yes besides PS3 emulation should not be a problem at all. The only problem is the picture quality though. The pciture qualityof the emulation is way worse than the image quality of original hardware and a decent upscaler. But not everybody is picture quality nerd like myself. For most of the people the image quality of the emulation should be good enough. I will always prefer original hardware though.

Nah, the only X factor is PS3. It was a notoriously difficult system to develop for and even more so for emulation.

PS1 and PS2 are easily done. You can run PS1 emulation on even the most basic of smartphones now, probably PS2 also.

Microsoft went all-in on optimizing Xbox and Xbox 360 games for BC. They are still adding games even now and it has proven there is a considerable market for it.

They went back to the OG Xbox, so there is good reason to think Sony may do that. For those who love RPGs, it was arguably the Golden Age in the PS1/PS2 eras.
I'm not trying to say they can't be done, just that doing it right is very expensive and most likely not a worthy investment to them. Xbox put in a valiant effort but we don't have any hard data on how that effected them financially. We have zero evidence to suggest there's a worthy market for it, considerable sure but not sure if the numbers add up. AND they're still missing support for tons of games, AND they have one less gen and much easier hardware/software to work with. Honestly, I think it's a pipe dream to expect PS5 to run all PS family games, we're gonna be lucky if we get anything more than PS4 support...

Yes besides PS3 emulation should not be a problem at all. The only problem is the picture quality though. The pciture qualityof the emulation is way worse than the image quality of original hardware and a decent upscaler. But not everybody is picture quality nerd like myself. For most of the people the image quality of the emulation should be good enough. I will always prefer original hardware though.
To be honest xbox has done an amazing job with this. Their games look way better, smooth fps, high res, and in many cases some improvements to textures and such...

Last edited:
Back