PlayStation 5

Man, could you imagine if they just called it The Playstation and made it backwards compatible with all PS consoles back to PS1? I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Hell, throw in a UMD drive on the side so I can play FFVII Crisis Core in 4k! :p
I was actually thinking that. "For PlayStation" on the game box, meaning it will run on the PS4 as well. For the first year or two of the launch, games will be released on both systems as developers want to take advantage of the current install base. With that said, imagine if Sony actually used their common sense and pushed the fact that this console was backwards compatible with every PS4 game. Two things will happen -

• Developers can essentially make on game and just like on the PC, improve graphics and performance for the early games on being released on both consoles.
  • Gamers will feel no way selling their old consoles and buying the PS4 (at its highest price point).

In regards to the second point, just for a commercial perspective, I can't believe console manufactures haven't done this previously. Just makes so much sense.

Cost will be interesting. I have got so much value out of the previous generation and with my PS4 that spending £600 on a console just seams worth it.

true change in how people will see consoles compared to PCs.
How so ? Consoles have always been closed marketplaces with inferior hardware at cheaper prices.
I don't see how different is this, don't think that the GPU will be on par with a RTX 2080.
But maybe this gen tainted my perception a little, it was very behind PC hardware from the start.

Something I think is important to note is that the announced specs of the PS5 so far are not even out for the PC market. As far as I know, right now PS5 is more powerful than any readily available consumer PCs. (Barring multimillion dollar super computers)

Yeah, this phase of Sony's next console hype is particularly prone to include complete fiction. In particular, I remember all sorts of wild claims about the PS2 having realtime Pixar-quality graphics, and how it would be internet-enabled and the console could actually call you on the phone, and crazy nonsense like that. I think Mark Cerny is more practical than Ken Kutaragi, but it's early days yet for the next gen consoles.

As it sounds like a PS4 on steroids, I hope we get out of the gate the superior graphics straight from the get-go. There is always that initial lul when a new console is launched where the graphics are hardly any different from what it is replacing.

Boon Cotter, a Lighting artist for Sony first party studio Naughty Dog says that PS5 ray tracing is hardware based. What that means is it is not a software solution and that it is coded to the metal, which further implies that the PS5s Ray Tracing solution is not half baked, but the actual real deal.

Boon Cotter said:
Hardware ray tracing. That is all.

Yeah, this phase of Sony's next console hype is particularly prone to include complete fiction. In particular, I remember all sorts of wild claims about the PS2 having realtime Pixar-quality graphics, and how it would be internet-enabled and the console could actually call you on the phone, and crazy nonsense like that. I think Mark Cerny is more practical than Ken Kutaragi, but it's early days yet for the next gen consoles.

This was in the pre Internet days. Sony cannot afford to promote a console with Features it does not have. The PS2 they promoted was not a real Thing. The real Thing was much weaker. Even weaker than the Dreamcast in some Departments. Dreamcast Games still look good today, Ps2 not so much so much, thanks to bad Video ouput. Sony cannot afford to the ps2 lie again.

And although I am with you that Ray tracing is not a Thing yet, it won't be relevant for Shenmue 3. But we do not know what the future will bring.

Compare Launch titles of the Ps3 with late gen Titles like the Last of US.Or look at this Generation. The PS4 titles still evolve and look better than the Launch titles.

Ray tracing won't be a Thing for Launch titles for sure. But who knows what late gen titles will be able to achieve. They might have some primitive form of ray tracing.

But even if so Shenmue 3 will not gain any Advantages from that. No need for it anyway. Shenmue 3 Looks beautiful enough.

Anyway I am sure the Ps2 lie won't happen again. Especially after the PS3 debacle when Sony failed with unrealistic claims.

Again why wouldn't it be relevant for SIII ?
You can use raytracing for a bunch of things and not only raytrace all the lights in scene that is very expensive.
Why so abverse to change is this forum ? Even 2 years ago people were still saying "this ryo is perfect", come on.
Why the game wouldn't need more accurate reflections ? More accurate GI ? Microshadowing ? Better AO ? Better translucency ?
Really, no one is asking to remake the game with 1 trillion K characters, just a DLC for future proofing the game, it's literally a post processing effect that can be toggled on.
I really don't understand people.

Shenmue 3 was not developed with Ray tracing in mind. Not sure if Yus net has updated their unreal Engine yet to the Version that suppport it. Updating would be quite expensive I guess. And I doubt this update would be a good idea from a financial standpoint. Using Money for a Technology that the machines the game were inanitally planned for do not Support at all. Ok the pc Version could Support it, but how many People have gaming PCs with ray tracing Support. Not so many.

I am sure that Ray tracing is the future but future is not there yet. It will take years till Ray tracing is the Standard. When tray tracing is Standard, Shenmue 3 will a old and maybe a forgotten game already ( I hope it will be a sucess though). Why bothering updating a old game, when there are many new more modern games out there.

I can understand that you wish that S3 will look better. But still we are talking about a future tech that has not reached the mass market yet. Would be cool if Shenmue 3 is Forward comptabile but I somehow do not believe that it will be.

But might be wrong of Course.

I'm not talking about out of the box, that's why I'm asking for a dlc/update in the future.
They've probably locked the version a year ago (or more if they had to modify the source, something I don't think they've done, but can't know).
But after all the push and everything is a good move to keep the buzz going (specially after the new generation is launched), pc games keeps getting revenue for years.
Don't know why you would like forward rendering, it's not better in any way, just more expensive as more lights get calculated. It's just "better" if you don't have many light sources, it's not a tech advancement, it's a call between framerate/fidelity.
FFXV did it great with having the texture DLC, it would be awesome for Shenmue (hell, it's one of the reason the original still looks good on emulation).
Just pointing out that you can't say anything about the game that a bunch of people just start saying "the game is already perfect" and have been saying the same for years, kinda tiresome.
We are probably the bunch of gamers that will still play Shenmue 3 years from now, I don't know why people get on the defensive so easily of the idea of future proofing the game, it's not an attack on the current state, it's thinking ahead for a game we waited for so long (and with little overhead for the team).

Dunno if I'm playing Devil's advocate or not in this discussion but ray tracing isn't like "just add water". Even with UE4's support for it (which I should add is considered an early access feature for now), developers need to learn how it works and how to use it properly - what's that learning curve like? There are other questions like; who pays for the PS5 version/PS5 patch to be developed, would ray tracing disturb any authorial or artistic intent?

If the feature is truly going mainstream even on console, then y'know, never say never. I'd more expect to see it if we're lucky enough to get a Shenmue IV with a modestly boosted budget, though.

Dunno if I'm playing Devil's advocate or not in this discussion but ray tracing isn't like "just add water".
Except it's easier, I told you, the more basic functions are a postprocessing effect that you can toggle.
Realtime GI is still expensive as fuck (even not raytraced), but the basic raytraced reflections, AO, and microshadowing are just a postprocess.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/RayTracing/RayTracingSettings#postprocessvolume
I'd try it, if it wasn't because my gtx1080 laptop stopped charging and it throttled.

Except it's easier, I told you, the more basic functions are a postprocessing effect that you can toggle.
Realtime GI is still expensive as fuck (even not raytraced), but the basic raytraced reflections, AO, and microshadowing are just a postprocess.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/RayTracing/RayTracingSettings#postprocessvolume
I'd try it, if it wasn't because my gtx1080 laptop stopped charging and it throttled.
Yeah, and I didn't dispute that ray tracing is an easier and more physically accurate way to create lighting, but there's still the practical angle of developers learning how to use it, when UE4's ray tracing tools mature beyond early access, whether it disrupts artistic intent in the visuals currently, whether Deep Silver will or will not try to wring more revenue out of Shenmue III after release, and if Ys Net won't immediately steamroll into Shenmue IV production if III does well enough.

Trust me - I'm totally on board that ray tracing is probably THE next big visual pipeline change in the same way PBR was previously, but there are more than a few ifs and maybes about Ys Net retroactively getting it into Shenmue III sometime in 2020 or 2021.

Yeah, it still makes the editor crash under anything not +rtx2070, but as I said, I'm not talking straight out of the box for Shenmue 3, but a future proof update.
Hell, it would be a nice way to "repromote" Shenmue 3 after a while (most specifically after the new generation of consoles get out).
They could do the highres texture pack out of the box though.

At this rate seems like epic/tencent are the ones spending money to get exclusives.
Hell, just by using the epic store they'd get 88% vs 65% on steam.

Since 2003, Deep Silver only re-released two games on a newer platform.
Metro Redux and Saints Row 4. and Metro Redux doesnt count
because Metro 2033 was published by THQ USA and not Deep Silver.
so they pretty much only released one single updated game again.

i dont see any chance that they will re-release a S3 version specially made for the next console generation.
maybe a patch to support the newer hardware ... but ultra high res textures, ray tracing, new shadows and so on ...
somebody has to pay YS Net for that work and if they are already working on Shenmue 4 in 2020,
they need the team for that project.
so i woudnt count on any re releases or gigantic updates.

Thank God this thing is fully backwards compatible. ?

Back