Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, a thread where I can finally put on my comfy NASA pajamas, lay my pillow beside the fireplace, sip a little mix of fireball and apple tea, and make believe love will triumph over evil. I feel ASMR tingles.

I don't identify as a Democrat or Republican. I have been trying to stay out of politics in general because you can't really change someone's mind regarding any given topic, and are simply wasting your time if you try to do so. With that being said, I find it hard to be excited for Shenmue 3 sometimes when Corey Marshall's Twitter feed looks like this:

kog0zn.gif

I am just a little sad that I am seeing British politics turn into American politics with this Brexit shit-show. Politicians are just being partisan and not doing what's in the best interest for the British people. It's all power plays and what you see in TV shows like House of Cards. Then you have the rise of the far right and politicians failing to see why this is happening.

I'm would love a nice car, a bigger house and to be in a position where I don't need to work. With that said, I have never envied wealthy people at all up until recently, and it has nothing to do with the above. I just envy being able to shield yourself from all the crap that is going on in the world.

14 killed repressing the protests in Venezuela.
I expected more coming from there.
Did you know it was made illegal for starvation to be listed as the cause of death for children in Venezuelan hospitals?

Fourteen fresh corpses, however? That's some good eatin'!

I'll give you one better, you need a new identification to vote, get food and medications, they ask those before you go voting so they can track votes and give basic needs to people that vote for Maduro.
I'm from Argentina, and we were going down that path (the actual president isn't any much better though).
We have been "predicting" Venezuela for a long time, quite sad, it could have been a freaking rich country.
Oh, the deaths have escalated to +26 now.
I can't understand how people can still defend this mother fucker, but sometimes ideology makes people so blind.

I'm not a very political person and don't consider myself exclusively left or right leaning. However, I do of course advocate for social issues like equality and diversity - as an LGBT advocate myself how could I not? But then there's extremism which pisses me off. Case in point: last year I studied a master's degree at a well-known UK university and, damn, I can confirm that uni campuses can be terrifying for social justice extremism.

From student union socials where statements like "More men should just commit suicide" received chuckles and applause (I'm not even joking!), students campaigning for classrooms to have a 'detoxifying' boy-girl seating plan to eliminate men being huddled together in a room and even posters around our department encouraging "HIstory" to be swapped for "HERstory". The icing on the cake: a professor questioned my work which mentioned Sir Isaac Newton complaining that only writing about a white male scientist made my work 'less diverse' even though that had nothing to do with my overall argument. It was utterly ridiculous and I'm glad to be out of there for my own sanity.

Anyway, I should probably shut up about this because depending who you talk about these issues with on the Internet you're liable to get your face mounted at any moment. So moving on...

Last edited:
I'm not a very political person and don't consider myself exclusively left or right leaning. However, I do of course advocate for social issues like equality and diversity - as an LGBT advocate myself how could I not? But then there's extremism which pisses me off. Case in point: last year I studied a master's degree at a well-known UK university and, damn, I can confirm that uni campuses can be terrifying for social justice extremism.

From student union socials where statements like "More men should just commit suicide" received chuckles and applause (I'm not even joking!), students campaigning for classrooms to have a 'detoxifying' boy-girl seating plan to eliminate men being huddled together in a room and even posters around our department encouraging "HIstory" to be swapped for "HERstory". The icing on the cake: a professor questioned my work which mentioned Sir Isaac Newton complaining that only writing about a white male scientist made my work 'less diverse' even though that had nothing to do with my overall argument. It was utterly ridiculous and I'm glad to be out of there for my own sanity.

Anyway, I should probably shut up about this because depending who you talk about these issues with on the Internet you're liable to get your face mounted at any moment. So moving on...
Holy Shit I'm skipping the Uni route I think. I am white and male and I certainly don't want to die yet.

I do of course advocate for social issues like equality and diversity - as an LGBT advocate myself how could I not?
Because those are just empty newspeak words ?
What does equality mean ? Most people have equality under the law (in most cases women have more rights though), you mean flat rates wages across proffesions ? Stealing from the rich ? Kill poor people ? eugenics?
What does diversity mean ?? Mixing all people into a monorace ? Having people with special rights because they're minorities ? Encourage illegal immigration ? Having different food ? Thinking cultural displays are all good ? Should whites "diversify" africa and Asia ? Sexual diversity includes rapists ? Pedophiles ? Bestiality ? Necrophilia ? Diversity of opinons ? You want communists, nazis, racists or just straight up misanthropist ? Does any of that means tolerance or encouragement ?

It's just a marketing newspeak term that means nothing, I could go all day naming things that mean "diversity" and "equality".
Better be truthful to what you want and think, because if you use others people thinking you might not end up thinking what you wanted to.

Well, let's look at the current state of the UK:

Making sandwiches in public can get you arrested, merely liking a social media post can get you a stern and threatening phone call from the police, jokes taken out of context result in fines and potentially prison sentences, and pointing out instances where the police are failing to uphold the law can result in the police raiding your home and forcefully taking you away.

Politicians call people names, and then make it illegal to call them names back. Media of all kinds will smear you and attempt to lump you into a group to shame you, and other people will call for violence against you based on this.

Meanwhile, large groups of child abusers go known and undisturbed for decades, for fear of "being seen as racist", and every attempt to disguise the truth is being made to push various ideologies. The internet, the last bastion of true freedom and equality, is being mercilessly slaughtered by governments and corporations alike.

I don't give a shit about which bathroom you have to use, as long as you have a bathroom to use. I don't care whether it's sexist to call a stupid woman "a stupid woman", especially when it interrupts what you've previously been telling me is currently the single most important issue in the entire country. Forgive me for ignoring that there are X number of people in Y demographic in Z position, when said X number of people are chosen by merit.

I disagree that this is hate speech, but also don't give a shit what Facebook does, as I'm too busy caring that competitors are allowed to exist without domain providers, payment processors, and search engines effectively teaming up to prevent them from having any kind of web presence at all.

I don't care about the tax on your particular preferred hygiene products, when all similar hygiene products are taxed equally. And as it turns out, the basic economic principle of supply and demand describes everything you're assigning to invisible forces and mass conspiracies.

While I certainly have opinions on most of those things, I'm too busy worrying about what little freedom I have left being taken away. While you're looking at the guy running the shell game, his accomplice is stealing your wallet. Arguing a small point always implicitly assumes a bigger point, and you should consider whether you agree with the bigger point first.

Choose your battles wisely, or you'll lose them all.

In America diversity is just a term used to allow illegal immigrants in who will vote for the Democratic Party. The very reason they don't want Trump's wall, less illegal voters.
'Diversity' has been perverted into meaning little more than paramount importance being placed upon utterly meaningless characteristics such as gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and other trivialities for the sake of satisfying a nebulous quota of 'representation'.

Remember when diversity of thought and ideas were the most important kinds of diversity? What ever happened to those days?

I don't identify as a Democrat or Republican. I have been trying to stay out of politics in general because you can't really change someone's mind regarding any given topic, and are simply wasting your time if you try to do so. With that being said, I find it hard to be excited for Shenmue 3 sometimes when Corey Marshall's Twitter feed looks like this:

View attachment 1830
hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So True!!! His Fb is even wooorseeee don't go there !!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The Donald is doing a good job so far don't you think?
I'm Portuguese so it doesn't affect me but I honestly can't see why the big crying.

Holy Shit I'm skipping the Uni route I think. I am white and male and I certainly don't want to die yet.
Lol. Don't pass up uni just because of that one bad experience! ;)

Because those are just empty newspeak words ?
What does equality mean ? Most people have equality under the law (in most cases women have more rights though), you mean flat rates wages across proffesions ? Stealing from the rich ? Kill poor people ? eugenics?
What does diversity mean ?? Mixing all people into a monorace ? Having people with special rights because they're minorities ? Encourage illegal immigration ? Having different food ? Thinking cultural displays are all good ? Should whites "diversify" africa and Asia ? Sexual diversity includes rapists ? Pedophiles ? Bestiality ? Necrophilia ? Diversity of opinons ? You want communists, nazis, racists or just straight up misanthropist ? Does any of that means tolerance or encouragement ?

It's just a marketing newspeak term that means nothing, I could go all day naming things that mean "diversity" and "equality".
Better be truthful to what you want and think, because if you use others people thinking you might not end up thinking what you wanted to.
I understand where you're coming from and appreciate you pointing out how these terms can have negative applications and I should be wary of using them because of this, but please, you do know what I was trying to get across there right? When someone says "I'm a-OK with equality" we know they're typically meaning that in regards to giving fair treatment/equal opportunities to someone irrespective of sex, race or preference for men/women. I'm certain that, while its theoretically possible to stretch these words to include all those groups you describe who cause harm to others, that's not the general, intended meaning which myself and others use. Again, I appreciate you pointing out how "equality" can be misused, but if we're going to be stretching words that far, what's next? "I fancy a drink of water," "Well, what is 'water' exactly? Water is in a lot of things. Does that mean you'd like a glass of piss?"

Anyway, the main point I was trying to illustrate in my post is that I (like 99% of other people) went into that environment already being a-OK with basic ideas about treating people fairly and giving everyone equal opportunities and, weirdly, was treated like I had some inbuilt racist and sexist tendencies because I happen to be a white man. Suddenly, ridiculously small things you did in that environment was policed and I thought it was absolutely absurd, like something straight out of the pages of a dystopian novel. I literally heard one white person say to another white person "You have lovely fair skin - Oh sorry, did I just offend you?" It was fucking ridiculous how extreme everything was and how everyone was constantly treading on eggshells because they thought everyone surrounding them was a raging racist/sexist ready to prance out from the shadows and attack them at any moment. Textbook definition of spoiled rich kids with too little problems in their lives who are so bored they think three men huddled in a room having a civil conversation is a real-world problem.

I understand where you're coming from and appreciate you pointing out how these terms can have negative applications and I should be wary of using them because of this, but please, you do know what I was trying to get across there right? When someone says "I'm a-OK with equality" we know they're typically meaning that in regards to giving fair treatment/equal opportunities to someone irrespective of sex, race or preference for men/women. I'm certain that, while its theoretically possible to stretch these words to include all those groups you describe who cause harm to others, that's not the general, intended meaning which myself and others use. Again, I appreciate you pointing out how "equality" can be misused, but if we're going to be stretching words that far, what's next? "I fancy a drink of water," "Well, what is 'water' exactly? Water is in a lot of things. Does that mean you'd like a glass of piss?"

Anyway, the main point I was trying to illustrate in my post is that I (like 99% of other people) went into that environment already being a-OK with basic ideas about treating people fairly and giving everyone equal opportunities and, weirdly, was treated like I had some inbuilt racist and sexist tendencies because I happen to be a white man. Suddenly, ridiculously small things you did in that environment was policed and I thought it was absolutely absurd, like something straight out of the pages of a dystopian novel. I literally heard one white person say to another white person "You have lovely fair skin - Oh sorry, did I just offend you?" It was fucking ridiculous how extreme everything was and how everyone was constantly treading on eggshells because they thought everyone surrounding them was a raging racist/sexist ready to prance out from the shadows and attack them at any moment. Textbook definition of spoiled rich kids with too little problems in their lives who are so bored they think three men huddled in a room having a civil conversation is a real-world problem.

The problem is that your idea of what "equality" means, while it matches that of most normal people, doesn't match their idea. To us, "equality" means that when you apply for a job, you're judged only on the aspects of your character that would make you suitable for the job; when you're talking in a group of peers, everyone's contributions are valued on their content and not on the person making them; and when you're voting, your vote counts exactly once if you are an adult citizen of the country, and exactly zero times otherwise.

To blue-haired University students and professors, "equality" means that when you apply for a job, if a majority of the staff of the company happen to be in possession of a penis then anyone else with a penis should be automatically disqualified (but not the other way around); when you're talking in a group of peers, the importance of your contribution is inversely proportional to the lightness of your skin; and when you're voting, your vote shouldn't count if it's not the same as their vote.

In other words, they don't believe in equality. But they probably think they do.

This wouldn't normally be a problem, except not only is this infestation present in what are supposed to be educational institutions, but the people in Silicon Valley also have this warped definition of "equality". You can find countless examples of people high up in media outlets, social media platforms, and even companies like Facebook, Apple, Google, and Spotify (I have a memorable acronym for these companies...) openly espousing their hatred of white people and calling for their murder (all of whom are verified on Twitter, of course - and if you think Twitter verification isn't an endorsement of views, try explaining why someone like Pewdiepie had his verification removed) while others are banned from their platforms for suggesting that Caitlyn Jenner couldn't be woman of the year when she hadn't yet been a woman for a full year...

But when all is said and done, people having stupid opinions isn't the problem. Those opinions being forced on everyone else, either through law or through ideological monopoly of communications, is the problem.

Twitter isn't a problem. If you don't like the way Twitter operates, there are various alternatives; for example, GNUsocial allows lots of miniature microblogging sites to communicate with each other so everyone can operate on their own rules. Facebook isn't a problem when you have Minds; WhatsApp isn't a problem when you have Snapchat, Kik, Telegram etc.

The BBC has, several times in the past, had job vacancies for research positions, but has openly stated that the job was not available to white people. Note that this isn't for an acting role, or any on-screen role at all - so the race of the person applying should have nothing to do with the job at all. They've also published ethnic diversity quotas in which their target proportion of black and minority ethnic people is in fact higher than that which exists in the country itself. In the UK, it is mandatory to give these people money if you want to watch television - even if you have no desire to watch any content produced by the BBC. In fact, good luck trying to tell them you don't watch TV - merely owning a TV that's capable of receiving a signal requires you pay money, separate to taxes, to a company that operates on this false "equality". This is a problem.

People have been fired from their jobs, and arrested, for believing in equality and not "equality". This is a problem.

People have real abuse and injustices done to them in the name of "equality", and nothing is done about it. This is a problem.

but please, you do know what I was trying to get across there right? When someone says "I'm a-OK with equality" we know they're typically meaning that in regards to giving fair treatment/equal opportunities to someone irrespective of sex, race or preference for men/women.

Not really, I DO think it's just bullshit newspeak. I understand that you think that "diversity" and "equality" means "no discrimination and tolerance" , but newsflash 99% of the people think that, it's not even a position, when people say these words doesn't mean that and I have you the time to explain yourself.

Most people have equal rights under the law, so when someone says "equality" I think they're going to push for equality of outcome. I know they are not pushing to raise women's retirement age (even though they die older), I know they don't mean that men can chose not to be fathers when the baby is on the gestation period, harsher criminal sentences or parity in child custody agreements, I know you don't mean male positive action in college. You think you mean "pay people the same for the same work", but that's something that already happens.

When people say "diversity" I know they think "tolerance of different cultures", guess what, that's neither a political position, most people can tolerate other people even if they dislike them, and you can't legislate opinions.
So say what you mean, don't say "diversity", say you want more flexible border policies, that you want to give citizenship to illegal immigrants, say that you think white people have it too good and we should give financial help to other races, say that you want "gay history" taught in schools and make kids learn that gender is a "construct" unrelated to biology, say that you think trans people should have gender reassignment surgery even if almost half end up commiting suicides (and paid by the state), say that you want to teach kids Islam in schools, really say what you think, because THAT's the diversity they are pushing.

You see why is this newspeak ? If you say those things don't end up being so palatable for most people, so let's just say a nondescription that EVERYONE can agree in principle.

Now in my country the state will pay trans police hormone therapy, is that diversity or is it giving people that handle guns incredible mood swings that go from extreme anger to depression ?? And for what ? To get brownie points to people that just say "diversity".

That's why I don't really understand why do people use other's people thinking, because there's a lot of totalitarian people using people as umbrellas for their idiotic (and murderous) ideology, so if you are saying their words, you are advicating for what they advicate.

The problem is that your idea of what "equality" means, while it matches that of most normal people, doesn't match their idea. To us, "equality" means that when you apply for a job, you're judged only on the aspects of your character that would make you suitable for the job; when you're talking in a group of peers, everyone's contributions are valued on their content and not on the person making them; and when you're voting, your vote counts exactly once if you are an adult citizen of the country, and exactly zero times otherwise.

To blue-haired University students and professors, "equality" means that when you apply for a job, if a majority of the staff of the company happen to be in possession of a penis then anyone else with a penis should be automatically disqualified (but not the other way around); when you're talking in a group of peers, the importance of your contribution is inversely proportional to the lightness of your skin; and when you're voting, your vote shouldn't count if it's not the same as their vote.

In other words, they don't believe in equality. But they probably think they do.

This wouldn't normally be a problem, except not only is this infestation present in what are supposed to be educational institutions, but the people in Silicon Valley also have this warped definition of "equality". You can find countless examples of people high up in media outlets, social media platforms, and even companies like Facebook, Apple, Google, and Spotify (I have a memorable acronym for these companies...) openly espousing their hatred of white people and calling for their murder (all of whom are verified on Twitter, of course - and if you think Twitter verification isn't an endorsement of views, try explaining why someone like Pewdiepie had his verification removed) while others are banned from their platforms for suggesting that Caitlyn Jenner couldn't be woman of the year when she hadn't yet been a woman for a full year...

But when all is said and done, people having stupid opinions isn't the problem. Those opinions being forced on everyone else, either through law or through ideological monopoly of communications, is the problem.

Twitter isn't a problem. If you don't like the way Twitter operates, there are various alternatives; for example, GNUsocial allows lots of miniature microblogging sites to communicate with each other so everyone can operate on their own rules. Facebook isn't a problem when you have Minds; WhatsApp isn't a problem when you have Snapchat, Kik, Telegram etc.

The BBC has, several times in the past, had job vacancies for research positions, but has openly stated that the job was not available to white people. Note that this isn't for an acting role, or any on-screen role at all - so the race of the person applying should have nothing to do with the job at all. They've also published ethnic diversity quotas in which their target proportion of black and minority ethnic people is in fact higher than that which exists in the country itself. In the UK, it is mandatory to give these people money if you want to watch television - even if you have no desire to watch any content produced by the BBC. In fact, good luck trying to tell them you don't watch TV - merely owning a TV that's capable of receiving a signal requires you pay money, separate to taxes, to a company that operates on this false "equality". This is a problem.

People have been fired from their jobs, and arrested, for believing in equality and not "equality". This is a problem.

People have real abuse and injustices done to them in the name of "equality", and nothing is done about it. This is a problem.

I totally agree with you, and it sucks that there are now two schools of thought we must differentiate between when it comes to using these terms.

I think my personal account represents this distinction quite well: I thought equality/diversity simply meant "treating others with fairness/giving equal opportunities to people irrespective of personal attributes" who walked into an environment where a more radical school of thought existed. Instead of treating everyone with respect, you have to instead practice a weird form of reverse sexism/racism where you demonise one group to elevate others up. Its absurd.
I understand that you think that "diversity" and "equality" means "no discrimination and tolerance" , but newsflash 99% of the people think that, it's not even a position...

I was trying to illustrate in my post is that I (like 99% of other people) went into that environment already being a-OK with basic ideas about treating people fairly and giving everyone equal opportunities...

Thanks for the condescending "newsflash" and proceeding to spend the next few paragraphs educating me on how everyone already believes in these ideas as if that was something I challenged in my original post, but if you actually read this snippet from my above post you'll notice I already spelled this fact out.

I'm already fully aware of what you're saying. Again, the main point of my post was: as one of the 99% who'd advocate ideas of treating others equally i.e. "equality", it was strange to be in an environment where there was a more radical school of thought on this. I acknowledged to you in my previous post that I understood what you meant about this having negative implications and that I appreciated you bringing it to my attention, but that regardless of the term I used, it was clear that the whole point of my post was: 'Hey, I support treating others fairly, and I was put in this super awkward situation where there was a more radical interpretation of this. Weird, right?' I did not then need you to tell me that I'm promoting a 'murderous ideology'.

To me it's important because that's what I feel when people use those newspeak. Why keep using those words if you don't believe what they are being used for ? That's the point I was making. There's really a gap these days.
And hell, maybe you were actually thinking about those types of doctrines, and I wanted to know, that's why I don't like those words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back