[Potential Spoilers] Shenmue III Preview Event

"Critisize the fade to black transitioms and the cuts when conversations starts. A lot of focus on those cuts being 2 gen old"

I hate statements like this, because it isn't a valid criticism. It has a point and that is to be solely for the fans.

Yu stated once(I recall somewhere) that he had no need to put in the "fade to black"(i.e. loading screens), because the engine and power made it not really necessary for III, but he chose to do it for fans who liked it for a true experience.

It's like years ago when Duke Nukem Forever came out. It wasn't a very good game, but when people tried to make the claim "it plays like a shooter from 15 years ago" as a criticism, it came across as asinine and misunderstanding. That was the point.

Things like framerates, freezes, glitches? Sure, valid. Playing like a nostalgia trip should? No.

Addendum of further thoughts:

This preview event is smart to have, especially for Yu himself. It is readily apparent that the game made substantial improvements over the backer trial we played, especially in areas that we fans and journalists pointed out needed work.

He can now take a near-final version, show it off and say "Okay, let's see what people think." Once he reads the criticisms, he can use these last few weeks and say "Okay, they didn't like the menu system, it needs refinement, some lip sync needs touched up, maybe a little more refinement to Ryo, make an option to disable the crosshairs or red circles if needed, etc."

He can then address these further issues baked into a Day 1 Patch that will address these claims--people bemoan patches, as some developers use them as an excuse to be lazy. Not here. I think he'll address any criticisms he can, even beyond the launch.

Yeah the footage isnt real 60 fps. When you put it in a video analyzer you can see that its locked 60 fps in every scene,
there is not even one dip or stutter anywhere and sometimes the framerate goes even up to 70-75 fps.
Thats not the actual ingame framerate.

Oh, Okay. I skipped around the video to avoid the story bits, so I didn't pay attention. I thought the bit with the Lucky Hit looked like real 60 FPS to me.

thats most definitely 30 fps going through an analyzer to double up the frames for the video, i didnt expect it to actually be 60 fps but it would of been nice.

I found something happening in London, but It's weird. First It's at some kind of show, and It's on a Sony stage, and 2nd they seem to be playing just a slightly upgraded version of the backer trial, instead of doing a 2 1/2 preview everyone else supposedly did.

I'm still in the middle of watching it, but it literally started where the backer trial did. What's going on, did Londen get the shaft or is this some other thing happening at the exact same time as the preview event.

Edit: Sigh yea this can't be from the preview event...where the hell is the Damn London preview sigh?

Last edited:
I found something happening in London, but It's weird. First It's at some kind of show, and It's on a Sony stage, and 2nd they seem to be playing just a slightly upgraded version of the backer trial, instead of doing a 2 1/2 preview everyone else supposedly did.

I'm still in the middle of watching it, but it literally started where the backer trial did. What's going on, did Londen get the shaft or is this some other thing happening at the exact same time as the preview event.
That was the EGX stage show; effectively marketing the game at a consumer show open to the public.

The preview event was held two days ago.

That was the EGX stage show; effectively marketing the game at a consumer show open to the public.

The preview event was held two days ago.

Ok yea. Yea I know that, but supposedly the London preview article/video was suppose to be posted today(Why It's taking them so long, I have no idea).

Ok yea. Yea I know that, but supposedly the London preview article/video was suppose to be posted today(Why It's taking them so long, I have no idea).
As far as we're aware no UK press were at the preview event. Pretty sure the preview event came at regional offices of Koch Media in Spain and Germany (maybe France?).

All that was meant to happen today was the game showing up at EGX London, which it did. That's the video you posted. The game was played live/streamed for about a half hour in front of a live audience at the EGX event.

As far as we're aware no UK press were at the preview event. Pretty sure the preview event came at regional offices of Koch Media in Spain and Germany (maybe France?).

All that was meant to happen today was the game showing up at EGX London, which it did. That's the video you posted. The game was played live/streamed for about a half hour in front of a live audience at the EGX event.

Sigh well that sucks, well thanks for letting me know.

I feel like the credible game reviewers/websites will give this game a fair chance based on the impressions I’ve been reading. I know someone will slam it, but I am fairly optimistic the game will fare ok on Metacritic.

"Critisize the fade to black transitioms and the cuts when conversations starts. A lot of focus on those cuts being 2 gen old"

I hate statements like this, because it isn't a valid criticism. It has a point and that is to be solely for the fans.

Yu stated once(I recall somewhere) that he had no need to put in the "fade to black"(i.e. loading screens), because the engine and power made it not really necessary for III, but he chose to do it for fans who liked it for a true experience.

It's like years ago when Duke Nukem Forever came out. It wasn't a very good game, but when people tried to make the claim "it plays like a shooter from 15 years ago" as a criticism, it came across as asinine and misunderstanding. That was the point.

Things like framerates, freezes, glitches? Sure, valid. Playing like a nostalgia trip should? No.

I played Duke Nukem Forever about a year ago and I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. Is it better than Call of Duty and those other AAA FPS games? No. But it delivered on exactly what I would expect a modern Duke Nukem game would do. As a matter of fact, I liked it better than Duke 3D. Gave me exactly what I wanted. Nothing more, nothing less.

I played Duke Nukem Forever about a year ago and I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. Is it better than Call of Duty and those other AAA FPS games? No. But it delivered on exactly what I would expect a modern Duke Nukem game would do. As a matter of fact, I liked it better than Duke 3D. Gave me exactly what I wanted. Nothing more, nothing less.
It took like 30 years to come out and George Broussard acted like it’d change gaming. I literally went from elementary school to graduating college and getting married in the time it took to come out.
But yeah, separated from that, it was totally ok.

yeah DNF is overhated, not good, but calling it one of the worst ever? Yall gotta be kidding. There is no doubt its an unfinished half baked game though and there are past builds of the game, one of which was basically 95% complete, that were all scrapped and looked INFINITELY better, heres a great and entertaining look into the trouble development and some of the older builds

Back