Project Update #104: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

Why would valve want to host a game for a handful of people, especially when they’re getting nothing out of it?

That's what they're doing already before a game release. Hosting files even when the game is being worked on.

Take any Steam v EGS discussion here:

It's not relevant in this thread, especially with all the other tidbits in the update.
I'll be moving any further posts on the matter there as well.

That's what they're doing already before a game release. Hosting files even when the game is being worked on.

What game? SIII is over a year away from being on their platform. I just don’t see the logic in your argument.

Edit: my bad Jibby

Save for crowdfunding. Game data can be uploaded before release. And I asked big profile indie devs about this.
Considering there is a website that tracks all the changes to game data and acheivements that users can look at way before games release, this is pretty obvious. I dont understand why people believe a known serial liar like Tim Sweeny but w/e ita their choice.

Again, I am just tired of the toxicity and glad that refunds are being honored for those who are not statisfied. If you are satisfied, great. All is good. No reason to hate on those who arent tho.

@Jibby

Sorry. I will stay on topic now.

I am pretty sure I was refering to Baisha and the Character perspective system. Its irrelevant that other stretch goals have been implemented. Baisha and the CPS no doubt were a major contributer to some backers and it sucks that they are gone, and people will not get what they backed. I can appreciate the new additions while also be disappointed in the removal of old ones. Its not that hard a concept to underatand.

Wait, is Baisha gone? I assumed it was just a name change and a change of focus? It says all the content has been included.

Save for crowdfunding. Game data can be uploaded before release. And I asked big profile indie devs about this.

Game data is OBVIOUSLY uploaded before release in order to implement Steamworks and to make sure everything is running smoothly launch day.
You need steamworks in order to code things like achievements etc with a live version with a steam app ID.

BUT if the game isn't coming out on Steam for another year after launch, then there is no rush to get the game Steam ready.

So Ragdoll got implemented? Now I’m even more curious how old that B roll footage at E3 was cause it didn’t look like there was much rag doll stuff going on in combat.

I’m not upset about the Character Perspective stuff going bye bye. Wasn’t really down with that. I want to play as Ryo...I don’t really want the whole multiple main character Yakuza 4 and 5 thing. That didn’t really appeal to me. Although, it would have been cool to see what Shenhua’s segment of gameplay looked like I guess.

So I guess we can assume the budget is somewhere around 10 million with outside investments given what has and hasn’t been implemented.

The lack of data on PC game disc is probably gonna cause a stir for those who wanted their physical copy....although, I said it before that this would probably be another Tekken 7 PC Physical deal (code in physical box) and looks like I was kind of right. Oh well, doesn’t bother me but I know it will bother some and so be it I guess.

I wonder how many people will take the refund if not change to PS4? I really have to wonder what the ratio will be on that. Doesn’t change a thing for me though. I opted for PS4...I’m getting my PS4 copy. That’s that.

But I do understand genuine disappointment that some people may have....but, not to sound callous, welcome to the shaky world of Kickstarter and game development. Where things are always subject to change. No, I’m not looking to argue...I’m just saying it is what it is.

Okay, really?

Already a thread on Resetera talking about the stretch goals and how it's a scam too.

We lost ONE thing. All other goals are in except for like..3. Come ON, people.

People just want this to fail.

I will never understand this "I dont care so others shouldnt either" mentality.

If you dont care, okay, great. Doesnt mean others shouldnt or cant or they want a game to fail.

Okay, really?

Already a thread on Resetera talking about the stretch goals and how it's a scam too.

We lost ONE thing. All other goals are in except for like..3. Come ON, people.

People just want this to fail.
Even back in 2015 there was a sizable contingent on NeoGAF who argued that Shenmue 3 was impossible. I believe one of the mods on NeoGaf flat-out said that even if crowdfunded nobody would support Shenmue. So, I'm not in the least bit shocked that a place like Resetera, comprised of the worst that NeoGAF had to offer, would still be gunning for Shenmue 3 all these years later.

Wait, is Baisha gone? I assumed it was just a name change and a change of focus? It says all the content has been included.

I mean, the Steam achievements pretty much sold it early. I always expected Baisha to be a more story focused area. And I'm glad with that. I feel like having a 3rd area with NPCs and such would've felt like padding. Yellow Head Building assault and Guilin chapter are hands down my favorites moments of Shenmue II. And also the most story focused ones, which allowed them to offer more various gameplay loops.

From my understanding its a single castle area now, not set in Baisha and there are no tulou anymore. Personally to me that is is more than a name change. I can understand being okay with it but I can also understand disappointment.

From my understanding its a single castle area now, not set in Baisha and there are no tulou anymore. Personally to me that is is more than a name change. I can understand being okay with it but I can also understand disappointment.

Isn't a Tulou a sort of castle anyway ?

B9826f2bb75762b3dd3a59fdcce9da54 original.png?ixlib=rb 2.1
Posted by Ys Net
Jul 2, 2019

日本語はこちら
Hello Everyone,
Regarding the recently announced Epic Games Store exclusive, all of us here at YSNET, Deep Silver and Epic are taking the matter with utmost concern and would like to clarify the circumstances leading to the decision and offer backers options for moving forward.

As noted in the updates and survey at launch, we had originally planned for PC distribution through Steam. Taking publishing and sales considerations into account, YSNET and Deep Silver agreed to our partnership with Epic Games Store on PC version distribution. As a publishing partner, Deep Silver has greatly contributed not only to sales and marketing, but to scaling up the game so there is more Shenmue III to begin with. Also, Epic Games has been with us from the start of the project when we adopted Unreal Engine 4 for development, and have given us their support throughout the development process.
In response to backers who have requested Steam keys for their rewards, we discussed offering the keys on the day of release. However, coordination with the sales policies of the involved companies was untenable, and as a result we are not able to make a day one distribution option for Steam keys available.
That we are not able to offer Steam keys for Kickstarter rewards at the time of the game’s release is a great disappointed and inconvenience for those backers who were expecting to receive them. We deeply apologize for the unrest caused by the announcement.

Response Policy
The team would like to offer the following:
Version Availability
a. PC Physical: Package (Disc) + EGS Key
b. PC Digital: EGS Key
c. PS4 Physical: Package (Disc)
d. PS4 Digital: PSN Voucher Code
*If selecting either the PC Physical or PC Digital version, an option to also receive a Steam key one year later will be available. Backers must manually select this option in the survey to receive the Steam key.
**If you had previously selected PC and want to change to PS4 or vice versa, you may do so.
Survey Implementation
We are currently working on the necessary changes to the backer survey system. We ask for your patience as there will be a short wait while the preparations are made. Once the survey changes have been implemented, there will be an announcement here in the updates with details and notice of the survey response period. (Changes to your shipping address may still be made through the backer survey up until shipping begins.)​

This is good news!

At least PC backers will be getting a Steam copy which they will be able to activate in a year.

Though they will have to indicate whether they want a Steam key as well in the upcoming survey.

Last edited:
Playing as Ryo and Shenua seemed unpopular when it was announced , so I doubt too many people are broken up about the character perspective system.

Not at all surprised that other forum still found a way to be outraged. They’re probably upset they can’t keep bumping their other thread about this for another three months.

I posted a hot take too soon. Seems that person is getting called out, as they should be.

Game development is HARD, especially with a team as small as YsNet. So they say "Hey, we couldn't implement this one thing. However, we were able to implement almost everything else."

They implemented stuff we were NOWHERE NEAR funding on our own.

I don't mind the Character Perspective being gone. It's Ryos story.

Playing as Ryo and Shenua seemed unpopular when it was announced , so I doubt too many people are broken up about the character perspective system.

Not at all surprised that other forum still found a way to be outraged. They’re probably upset they can’t keep bumping their other thread about this for another three months.

I was never too convinced of the character perspective system either. It just seemed like it would take away from the Shenmue feel. Won’t know as it’s been canned anyway, but it’s how I felt when it was announced.

Reactions: JPZ
Just a quick question though.
They claim 10 stretch goals were implemented despite not being reached. Yet I can only count 7. Did I miss some ?

Yu seemed pretty enthused about the character perspective system, so it's a shame that it's been cut. Although personally I'd rather just stick with Ryo.

Back