Project Update #96: English Voice Recording Report!

High res versions of the banner images here:

coreymarshall_banner37ji3.jpg

briannaknickerbocker_d1j25.jpg

For anybody who wants to use those nice, clean new (well, as of last October?) renders.

Great update though. Yu picking up the controller at the end was excellent too.

And if this doesn't incite some level of hype, I don't know what will:

This year we plan to put a big push promoting the game. We have new info scheduled for release upcoming, so we kindly ask for patience until then. Thank you as always for your support!

Bonus - I found this photo of Corey playing the game pretty hilarious.

03_dont-think-lets-plk5j91.jpg

For Corey, it was the end of 17 years of waiting. For Yu, it was just Thursday.

How has nobody commented on Corey's daughter's name? Katana? She must be the most popular person in her class lol

75d0e6dd52.gif

:love:

I honestly cannot stop watching that video. This is possibly one of my favourite updates ever. It really drives in the fact that Shenmue III is real and we'll be playing it soon.

It's so weird that only a few years ago, Shenmue was considered entirely dead, but now it's as active as it's ever been with the originals re-released and the third on the way. Despite lasting 14 years, those times feel like a distant memory now. We are so, so lucky.

Yeah, I know! Honestly feel giddy and lightheaded by this, it's not a unicorn anymore. Also like the choice of VA, she'll do a good job as Shenhua, sure of it!

Now excuse me while I watch that video clip on loop for the next hour.

I hope in one week to see some pictures advancing what Magic will show, like last year. I can't wait to see new model of Ryo and some fights and/or detective gameplay.

The animations looks nice, I need to see the faces but in the Deep silver presentation video looked amazing so I assume the rest of the game will look nice too.

80% done with English voice work with no evidence of supporting cast being in the booth for recording? Is this not a little worrying in regards to how extensive the voice acting will be across the board?

IGN Japan's Esra Krabbe's translation of the subtitles:

Switch's take on Takayuki Nakamura's "not everything is pre-rendered" comment (the translator went with "we're not pre-rendering, so the important thing is the length"):

Come on, Spaghetti, I was expecting you to have found Master Chen hiding in the trees in that laptop footage by now! ?
Okay here's a detail -

The material around Shenhua's waist was previously tied in a bow.
ss_a9af541717558b4032mjjnk.jpg

Now the ends are loose and hanging at her side. (as we saw on the 2D design on one of the 2018 Christmas cards Ys Net issued)
75d0e6dd52.gif

Looking back, she has this in the Gamescom '18 trailer too, but it was not very obvious.

80% done with English voice work with no evidence of supporting cast being in the booth for recording? Is this not a little worrying in regards to how extensive the voice acting will be across the board?
This update mainly covers the first day of recording (some shots are from subsequent days, like when Corey's daughter came to record, and possibly Christopher Bevins too). Obviously you would not be able to have every single actor working on the game, recording on the same day.

We already know recording for Corey is the same length of time to do the originals.

Damn! These updates always go by so quickly, I was hoping we'd hear some snippets from both Corey and Brianna. But Magic is just around the corner so I can wait.

Happy that its been officially confirmed Brianna is voicing Shenhua, really enjoyed listening to some of her past work and imagine she's perfect for the role.

Now excuse me while I go watch that laptop screen a billion times on loop...

tenor (1).gif

Here's the track at the start of the video, btw.

If you look at the monitor on the left side of the screen, you'll notice cherry blossoms (or maybe Shenmue trees?). I'm predicting this cutscene happens in Bailu Village rather than at Shenhua's house, in the Gamescom '17 progress video you can see trees with pink flowers in the shot where Shenhua points at the village.
Come on Spags! Shenmue trees?!
There is only one shenmue tree :p

Took some screencaps of the screen at the start:

sequence02.00_00_03_0e4jo9.jpg

sequence02.00_00_05_1b0k9m.jpg

You can see Shenhua under the tree there. I can just about see cool details like the flowers swaying in the wind, plus pink leaves being blown from the trees.

FYI - it seems they shot this on a total potato camera, I'm guessing a phone or a tablet from the weird resolution. Premiere tells me the video is 10 frames per second. I figured something was up considering the motion and voice sync of people talking was a little strange.

So if anybody is wondering, yes, that'd affect the footage of the game being played on Yu's laptop. Should be much smoother in actuality.

A welcome update, which confirms quite a few things. I will share the cautious feelings I have about all of the other characters in the game, and when (if not already, they are being voiced). But I guess that's not our concern.

I feel like this is the start of this first wave of promotion. We have this update this morning, then next week we have the press conference for MAGIC, then we have the hype explode out of control as we get closer to the event itself.

We are in the business end now. I hope you are all ready because in a lot of months when its all over, you will wish you could go back to this point. Enjoy the remaining bit of this 17 year journey!

Back