Project Update #96: English Voice Recording Report!

Took some screencaps of the screen at the start:

sequence02.00_00_03_0e4jo9.jpg

sequence02.00_00_05_1b0k9m.jpg

You can see Shenhua under the tree there. I can just about see cool details like the flowers swaying in the wind, plus pink leaves being blown from the trees.

Great work. From what we can see the world looks nothing short of fantastic. The art style fits Shenmue perfectly and while I'll admit I'm not a fan of Shenhua's new costume everything looks smooth and is coming along nicely. Bring it on!

Looking good! I like how Yu himself is overseeing parts of the recording. Well he did that for Shenmue aswell back then but something tells me that these studio session are quite a bit more professional than the ones back then.

That was my biggest takeaway from the video. How professional it seemed. It also emphasized the importance of having an English dub of the game recorded in an English speaking environment, unlike the originals.

There were details about the director in another thread. Can someone pull those up again? It seemed like he's worked on some pretty big, and small, games, which means he's probably got us covered as far as quality is concerned.

There were details about the director in another thread. Can someone pull those up again? It seemed like he's worked on some pretty big, and small, games, which means he's probably got us covered as far as quality is concerned.

It was posted here by @ShenmueTree in the speculation thread.

If you pause the video a split-second before the cut to the laptop where Ryo and Shenhua are walking together, you'll notice a familiar-looking scene (bottom left):

1.png

It looks like a more developed version of Shenhua and Ryo looking out at the distance which we saw in the 1st teaser. The walking segment then directly follows on from this, so both scenes look to be connected.

Nice find. I grabbed a shot in Premiere and fiddled with the image so we get a better look.

sequence02.00_00_34_20ik0a.jpg

Yu immediately skips the cutscene which is why our glimpse is so short. Seems he's trying to get into the actual game to show the VO staff.

Cool, I'm going to play both versions (if possible), it's just a matter of which one I do on my first playthrough that's giving me a headache.

For the sake of comparison...

ryo2017v2018wqjsx.jpg

ryo2015v20183bjhf.jpg

ryo1999v2018f4jvx.jpg

ryobigcompareg2ja6.jpg

Far and away the closest Ryo model yet to that 1999 CG render from the boxart. We've really come a long way. From E3 2015's "fake Ryo", to 2017's pre-alpha model, to 2018's alpha/possibly near final version.

Now that Brianna has been officially confirmed to be voicing Shenhua, if anyone is unfamiliar with her work and wants a general sense of what her voice sounds like...

For the sake of comparison...

ryo2017v2018wqjsx.jpg

ryo2015v20183bjhf.jpg

ryo1999v2018f4jvx.jpg

ryobigcompareg2ja6.jpg

Far and away the closest Ryo model yet to that 1999 CG render from the boxart. We've really come a long way. From E3 2015's "fake Ryo", to 2017's pre-alpha model, to 2018's alpha/possibly near final version.
The progress from 2015 to now is nothing short of remarkable. I also reckon they are holding out on us ready for the final push.

The progress from 2015 to now is nothing short of remarkable. I also reckon they are holding out on us ready for the final push.
Anything is possible IMO. Even though we only got a high res version today, we already know this render is several months out of date by now. I'd be fine if this was near enough final, though.

It's been hard to pinpoint where inspiration is being drawn from, given Ryo's variable looks across renders and in-game models, but if boxart Ryo is truly the one they're dialing in on, they've done a great job. Some things are going to look a little different because of PBR rendering techniques and more complex lighting available even in a real-time environment, but in terms of his features it's super close.

I think the only thing to get it closer would maybe just slimming down the width of Ryo's jaw, and possibly smaller eyes.

ryo1999v2018f4jvx.jpg

I seriously need Ryo's skincare routine. :D

Brianna Knickerbocker diverse Dramatic/Quirky voice samples:

Brianna Knickerbocker singing French acapella:

Brianna Knickerbocker singing pop:

Brianna Knickerbocker singing various:
https://www.voices.com/demo_detail/85264

Huh...never considered the possibility that Shenhua might sing in English if she was to ever sing again in the series. But now with Brianna on-board whose done some music of her own, it might be possible.

Back