PS4 framerate fix

Sorry if this is known. Sorry if its been discussed infinitely. I lurk often and never post. Probably won't reply. Sorry. Just wanted to share something I learned today the hard way. Loving Shenmue 3 but the framerate is terrible! Im not a framerate whore but oh my god it was nauseating / irritating. Well my friends im playing on ps4 pro with boost mode enabled. Boost mode enhances games that aren't intended to be enhanced by pro features. It says basically if you're game acts funky though turn boost mode off. I did. Framerate problem 90% solved. The boost mode option is in the system settings. Hopefully this helps a few.

I am going to have to test that out. It’s very disappointing first there’s no enhancements for Pro owners. Second it appears to use uncapped framerate which is really bizarre choice. As you said it would feel a lot more refined if they locked framerate or at least gave us options.

The demo felt amazing at 4K 60FPS. I think I will have to play it on PC that way soon enough.

The framerate is still not ideal. But the large hickups/ stuttering in frame rates i was having is gone

The framerate is still not ideal. But the large hickups/ stuttering in frame rates i was having is gone

This is by no means an exhaustive test but I ran down to path of entrance to Verdant bridge, pretty wide open area and spun camera around Ryo. There’s some dropped frames you can notice and it definitely doesn’t feel smooth. I tried this with boost mode on and essentially got same results but maybe a little screen tearing? I can’t wait for Digital Foundry’s analysis but it looks like PC version is required for smooth 60FPS.

I really dont know why its always japanese developers with these tearing, unlocked framerate and stutter problems on console.
The Nioh games, Nier Automata, Monster Hunter World, Sekiro or Dynasty Warriors 9 have these problems too.
I really dont understand why they dont care about this stuff.

Yeah, I noticed the framerate is irregular. I'm glad it tries to hit 60fps at all though, I was expecting it to run at 30 on console.

I noticed this as well initially but having turned off boost mode I swear I am hardly experiencing the stuttering anymore. Unless I’ve just grown used to it and my eyes don’t pick up on it. Either way it’s certainly hasn’t been an irritant anymore. playing on a Pro btw.

the originals had a lot of slowdown and stuttering in busy areas but that was down to the games pushing the system right to its limit. Still, it didn’t really bother me much then either.

This is by no means an exhaustive test but I ran down to path of entrance to Verdant bridge, pretty wide open area and spun camera around Ryo. There’s some dropped frames you can notice and it definitely doesn’t feel smooth. I tried this with boost mode on and essentially got same results but maybe a little screen tearing? I can’t wait for Digital Foundry’s analysis but it looks like PC version is required for smooth 60FPS.
Don't get me wrong here. The frame rate is still all over the place. I was having issues with framerate seeming to temporarily drop from maybe 40 all the way down to 15 and then back up to 40. It just seems to prevent the massive dips. Btw it's not digital foundry but i think you'll be equally happy with this....

They should just lock it to 30 fps. It makes no sense to target 60 fps
when the framerate can only reach 40-45 fps. Thats why it has this stuttering problem and unstable feeling,
because it is unstable. Its not 30 fps and its not 60 fps.
A locked 30 fps with the correct frame pacing / times would feel much smoother
and then they could use all of the free hardware headroom for a higher graphics preset or a higher resolution.
I dont understand why they just let the framerate do whatever it wants.
We have absolutely no benefits from that.

No, totally disagree. Locked to 30 would look and feel far less fluid than even an imperfect unlocked frame rate.

Then you have never seen good 30 fps with the correct frame times because that doesnt stutter at all, not one bit.
A unlocked framerate that constantly changes between 35 and 50 fps every 2 seconds will always stutter.

I think it could be further optimized in a patch, honestly. I don't feel it really takes much advantage of the added oomph of the PS4 Pro, as there's no "official" support for it listed.

I would also really like to see HDR support with these colors.

No, totally disagree. Locked to 30 would look and feel far less fluid than even an imperfect unlocked frame rate.
If you feel it's better the current way that's absolutely fine. Definitely subjective. I would like to see the option for locking at 30 added to the settings

If you feel it's better the current way that's absolutely fine. Definitely subjective. I would like to see the option for locking at 30 added to the settings
Agreed. The unlocked framerate creates this judder effect when turning the camera, which can be quite nauseating at times.

I've noticed a few moments where it slows down but nothing that has concerned me

With a PS4 Pro is it best to have Boost Mode ON or OFF? I had it on but if the gaem is more stable without it I can do that.

Back