Random Gaming Thoughts

I am starting to believe that the contemporary quality of life features in video games are a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's great and makes the experience more enjoyable (in my opinion), while on the other, it sets up unrealistic expectations in the minds of players. I mean take a look at how Shenmue III was criticized for being "out of date".

Not every video game needs to have quality of life features to be great. I have been gaming since the 90s and I managed to survive playing hard games. Imagine trying to traverse the Legend of Zelda 86 map without the Internet. Maybe it's just me getting older, but players seem to be more spoiled and coddled these days.
Yeah, games have stopped being hurdles, problems or puzzles to solve, and have started being looked at as entertainment that needs to welcome players as much as possible. Whenever I play an older game that doesn't hold my hand, even if it's the first time I'm going through it, it always feels great, exploring something completely unknown and trying to make sense of it. Then when it clicks, it's wonderful and it feels so satisfying.

Played the Outriders demo for an hour or so yesterday and was sold on it so will almost definitely get it assuming reviews are decent. One thing that struck me however is just how poor the animation is; everything from how the character moves, turns, goes into cover and even how the camera spins around crazy fast like some cheap janky game.

Out of curiosity I checked out some videos of the original Gears of War and that game is head and shoulders above Outriders in terms of animation and overall feel despite being over 14 years old. They both use Unreal engine.

Struggle to see why Outriders, though entertaining enough, feels like some cheaply made game from the early 2000s.

Anyone though "drifting" was the controllers disconnecting?

As if they were drifting away. I've sent my controller off to repair twice and have the issue that it will disconnect randomly whilst playing. I always thought this was the drift problem but after googling it, as my controllers are still having that problem, just realised it refers to the sticks picking up movement and not the whole controller disconnecting

クレヨンしんちゃん『オラと博士の夏休み』~おわらない七日間の旅~ [Nintendo Direct 2021.2.18]​

Crayon Shin-chan "Ora and Dr. Summer Vacation" -A Seven-Day Trip That Never Ends- [Nintendo Direct 2021.2.18]

Not a fan of the series but i'm absolutely digging the japanese setting and the relaxing vibe of the game; really caught my eye.

Do you guys know any other games with this kind of japanese setting !?

This one looks interesting but I believe its just 1 hour long.

Reactions: red

クレヨンしんちゃん『オラと博士の夏休み』~おわらない七日間の旅~ [Nintendo Direct 2021.2.18]​

Crayon Shin-chan "Ora and Dr. Summer Vacation" -A Seven-Day Trip That Never Ends- [Nintendo Direct 2021.2.18]

Not a fan of the series but i'm absolutely digging the japanese setting and the relaxing vibe of the game; really caught my eye.

Do you guys know any other games with this kind of japanese setting !?

This one looks interesting but I believe its just 1 hour long.

This seems to basically be the Boku no Natsuyasumi series, with a Shin-Chan bent to it.

This seems to basically be the Boku no Natsuyasumi series, with a Shin-Chan bent to it.
I was looking at it when I read your post; looks like a really nice and relaxing series; but it is only available for playstation 2 & 3 and I couldn't find it in the playstation store.

Wished there were a lot of more games like these around; I think it is a really great concept for game series that can be created by an indie developer or a small studio and be successfull with it.

Wow!!! Just seen this trailer to this new martial arts game; looks really interesting. Kind of seems to hint that whenever you lose your character gets older. According to the official site, the martial art is Pak Mei Kung Fu wich seems similar to Win Chun from the Ip Man movies.

Reaction Video :

Official Site:

Pak Mei demonstration at Martial Arts Festival:

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else, but I am not a big fan of multiplayer games. Outside of fighting games, I prefer to play alone. I think this article by The Guardian articulates my reasoning quite well.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have ambivalent sentiments towards the Feudal Japanese/Sengoku Era trend in gaming recently. While I enjoy the attention, I don't like the fact that it's being treated as just a fad. As someone who has loved Asian warrior culture since they were sixteen, this is something that saddens me.

Apologies for the double post.

Last edited:
I apologize if this comes off as elitist, but I don't like it when Virtua Fighter characters are ported over to other franchises such as Dead or Alive. The reason for this is because characters like Akira have to be watered down to fit in with the combat system of said game. This to me is the equivalent of taking Citizen Kane and dumping it into the He-Man movie.

Virtua Fighter is the metric by which fighting should be measured, not the other way around.

I apologize if this comes off as elitist, but I don't like it when Virtua Fighter characters are ported over to other franchises such as Dead or Alive. The reason for this is because characters like Akira have to be watered down to fit in with the combat system of said game. This to me is the equivalent of taking Citizen Kane and dumping it into the He-Man movie.

Virtua Fighter is the metric by which fighting should be measured, not the other way around.
I dare you to say that to Lan Di's face.

I've always seen crossover characters as the character and not the gameplay. Dispite prefering Virtua Fighter combat, I'd love to have him in stuff like Smash Bros, where his moveset would be fully diminished to a ridiculous tiny fraction., for the sake of just seeing him there and how he handles other characters.

Back