Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

I've written up a post about what's on offer:

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2022/03/shenmue-x-yokosuka-animation-promotion.html

Outline:
  • Updated Sacred Spot Guide Map
  • Livestream event with Masaya Matsukaze, Yu Suzuki, Yu Kiyozono, Esra Krabbe on 29 April at 6pm JST
  • Exhibition of anime and game materials at certain shops associated with Shenmue
  • A shopping promotion (postcard collectibles)
  • An online gacha gacha with digital downloads
  • A gacha gacha on-site in Yokosuka
Nice. Might try and make it back there at some point. Thanks as always for the translation!

I might have to beg my girlfriend to make a stop along the way as she lives an hour away from Yokosuka!

Also, this came up on the Anime News Network last night. Cool to see a big site talk about Shenmue as there hasn't been as many articles as I like. Mileage may vary with this article, but I found it pretty entertaining coming from folk who don't know Shenmue all that well.

I might have to beg my girlfriend to make a stop along the way as she lives an hour away from Yokosuka!

Also, this came up on the Anime News Network last night. Cool to see a big site talk about Shenmue as there hasn't been as many articles as I like. Mileage may vary with this article, but I found it pretty entertaining coming from folk who don't know Shenmue all that well.

"Shenmue fans suffered through 3"

It's a bit annoying when people generalilze Shenmue 3 as no one enjoying it. I had a decent enough fun time with it.

"Shenmue fans suffered through 3"

It's a bit annoying when people generalilze Shenmue 3 as no one enjoying it. I had a decent enough fun time with it.
Aye. And sadly proves that those who don't know the series that well is fed the narrative the game is a disaster when it's not.

I'm honestly loving this anime so far. I know the show is not perfect but it really feels like it was made as a labour of love by fans for the fans. I was expecting something a lot simpler and lower in quality and I really appreciate how much this show has been delivering episode after episode. It caters to fans without too much fan service while still feeling like a proper show in and of itself.

Even my wife who doesn't really know Shenmue very well (outside of my love for it) and has been watching it with me is starting to get into the story now and show genuine interest in the characters and what will happen next. My brother in law who never even heard of the games has heard of the anime and wants to watch it now. I'm really hoping this show breaths new life into the series in whatever way it can

View attachment 14636

Another one I made this past weekend.

I have a request, could you make one where Ryo is on one side of the room with the Phoenix mirror in the background and Lan Di is on the other side of the room with the dragon mirror in the background and Shenhua is standing in the middle with a power aura around her.

I have a request, could you make one where Ryo is on one side of the room with the Phoenix mirror in the background and Lan Di is on the other side of the room with the dragon mirror in the background and Shenhua is standing in the middle with a power aura around her.
If I can find some decent graphics to work with then I could certainly try.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any Japanese merch announced; not even physical copies of the singles. I can see this changing in a few weeks hopefully, but they need to hurry up. I'm close to buying a house and I won't have much Shenmue money left!!

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any Japanese merch announced; not even physical copies of the singles. I can see this changing in a few weeks hopefully, but they need to hurry up. I'm close to buying a house and I won't have much Shenmue money left!!

Get a tent and live off the land. That Shenmue merch will keep you real toasty at night.

After watching 9 episodes, I'm in awe about how faithful the anime is to the games (discounting minor liberties here and there). The j-drama, the martial arts world and the investigative nature of the games are all there, and the plot flows smoothly for such a short series. Despite the pacing being rushed in the first couple of episodes, the story hits an ideal rhythm later on, specially once Ryo reaches HK. Even if some Shenmue fans are not really into the anime, I would urge them to watch it solely for Masaya Matsukaze's performance beyond the games if nothing else as he really shines here as Ryo, and it truly hits home for the fans of the games.

Back