Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

I wonder if the anime will keep in the censorship for that one character who I forgot the name to when it reaches Shenmue II. Speceficly for the English dub. I guess nowadays there are enough people with a voice that will call out on the censorship nowadays. If that happens then it will give Shenmue a bad name on the net. And if that happens then very slim chance for a Shenmue IV.
I think you mean Ewan (or Yuan if you want to go with their “Chinese” name).

Less than a week later it's impossible (for me, at least) to find the show on the Crunchyroll Xbox app. Not even via search. The only reason I can rewatch it is because I added it to my list.

:sneaky:

Less than a week later it's impossible (for me, at least) to find the show on the Crunchyroll Xbox app. Not even via search. The only reason I can rewatch it is because I added it to my list.

:sneaky:
Well that's concerning. I wonder what's going on there. @LemonHaze or other admins handling the tech stuff, could we get some new LIKE emoticons? I noticed the angry face is no longer there, so now I'm at a loss as to which stupid cartoon face to attach to the bottom of orient's post. Please respond.

BTW has anyone seen anyone mention this show outside of Shenmue circles?

It appears in the search on the mobile app and on the website (although very hard to find otherwise) so it's probably just the Xbox app sucking. Crunchyroll seems to be a bit of a mess in terms of discoverability.

To those who have watched the first episode, how was the pacing? Did it feel rushed and crammed or nice and smooth? Just wondering because I believe season 1 covers Shenmue 1&2.

To those who have watched the first episode, how was the pacing? Did it feel rushed and crammed or nice and smooth? Just wondering because I believe season 1 covers Shenmue 1&2.
I imagine you want to avoid spoilers so I'll be vague. There were one or two scenes that felt rushed on my first viewing, but when I re-watched I didn't mind them that much. A few things won't be in the same order as the games and I felt they did a good job at setting up a bunch of questions to answer/discover in the following episodes. Overall I really liked the first episode and didn't feel that it moved too fast.

It's a fairly brisk pace, but I think they've got it just right, personally. If they tried to match the pace of the games, it would make for an incredibly boring watch. Even as someone that loves playing through Shenmue incredibly slowly, loves watching let's plays of Shenmue etc. - watching an anime of Ryo dawdling about Yamanose, knocking on doors and all that would just be shite.

I think they've done an amazing job including so many of the familiar story beats in such a fluid, and interesting way - it really maintains the spirit of Shenmue without having to resort to showing Ryo opening drawers and going from NPC to NPC asking about the next plot point. They've also shuffled some things about here and there, and added new little details which have all enhanced the experience for me, so far.

I don't want to be pandered to as a fan if it comes at the expense of just making a good anime, and I think that's the approach that they have consciously taken. Make a good anime first and foremost, build it around the spine of the Shenmue story and include as many little Shenmue details and smaller story beats as they can where it makes sense, and fits in with the storytelling.

I just have to add as well, it's insane how many shot-for-shot recreations from scenes of the games have made it into the anime. In the first episode alone there were so many, and it all just felt so right. Can't speak highly enough of it so far.

Last edited:
Thrilled at the amount of use Sedge Tree and Sedge Flower are getting in the anime, tbh. Originally thought we'd get a few familiar notes here or there, but the anime sound team have produced multiple banger renditions in the first two episodes alone.

Get back up to speed with Shenmue the Anime before the upcoming Episode 3: "Yin & Yang".

This podcast is Shenmue Dojo Show: Episode 3 - Shenmue the Anime #2 "Daybreak" Recap & Discussion.

James, Matt and Titch provide an indepth recap of Episode 2 of the Shenmue Anime, and discuss the episode as a whole, with poetry fun, music and community news too!

Please give us your thoughts and feedback on this episode wherever you please, be it on Twitter, the Forums, or any of our contact options - we'd love to know what you thought!

Watch the visual show version for this episode on YouTube:

Listen to the audio Podcast version via all good Podcast providers and Spotify.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/3SHIts3...
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast...
Anchor: https://anchor.fm/shenmue-dojo

Oh my God, what a lovely YouTube channel. Do you know if she has played Shenmue before?
Not sure. I don't think she's ever had a video on it but her post made it sound like she's familiar with the story, so maybe. She plays basically every JRPG and visual novel, so I could definitely see her playing Shenmue.

Back