Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Well, Kojima shares that they are in crunch time polishing up Death Stranding for the November 8th release.

We can assume Shenmue is putting in a lot of work as well these last couple of months as we spiral towards November 19th, so long as the date continues to hold.

I get lambasted any time I bring up a delay til January, but I still feel that move happening in my gut and I can't shake it. Remember, we didn't know anything about the delay til November til pretty close to its next public appearance. Also, Days Gone was pushed back a couple of months only 2 or 3 months before it's original release date, maybe sooner than that.

A lot can come about in improvements, guys. I can see it in the last KS update. I think we'll be in for a fairly decent upgrade by the time we see it at Gamescom. The E3 build was probably from mid to late May, if I had to guess.
I know what you mean. I also have a feeling they will use Gamescom to announce the next delay.

I really think November is a good date, all the guaranteed sales monsters like FIFA & Call of Duty have moved into October so other than Death Stranding (which I don't think is a threat to Shenmue, if anything, I'd say it's got a harder job despite the insane budget - nobody i've spoken to in real life are interested in it, they don't get it) that leaves Shenmue available to gifters among the holiday season. Not to mention people who get sick of games quickly, trading them in - Shenmue's one of the last big games on the calender so may even pick up a few more sales that way. Also a lenghty RPG is the perfect sort of game to play over the christmas break.

I could be completely wrong however, but want to stay positive - hopefully there's been 20 years worth of latecomers to the game that will pick this up day one, we just haven't seen or heard from them yet !

There won't be another delay. 100%. Save this post.

Edit: It will probably get delayed in the UK if we crash out of the EU without a deal come 31st October though.

Interesting. If they do I can see it being slated in the media.

What makes you think there's going to be another delay? I'm preparing for the worst lol
Can't really say why. It's just a hunch, like I said. The lack of even a release date for the trial version and the lack of confirmation of playable S3 on the floor at Gamescom is what made me think that. Also, I think being 3 and a half months away from an alleged release date, you'd think they'd at least give one-hour play sessions with the game to select journalists, wouldn't you? 15 minutes is not enough to get a good impression of the game.

Also, I think being 3 and a half months away from an alleged release date, you'd think they'd at least give one-hour play sessions with the game to select journalists, wouldn't you?
This is more along the lines of what would happen at a proper preview event a month or two out from the release, and not at a trade show where a publisher is having to get press in and out regularly so everybody can meet their appointment times.

I don't particularly think a timed session as short as at E3 is the best way to showcase the game either, but bookings were in half hour blocks to accommodate fifteen minutes with the game and potentially fifteen minutes with Yu Suzuki (don't think this was the case for every journalist). On that basis you're only really seeing two outlets an hour, and demand was high enough that Shenmue III was apparently fully booked for appointments before E3 opened.

A lengthier hands on is for later at a separate publisher-arranged event, if Deep Silver chooses to do that.

I was thinking earlier about when the Shenmue community would reach out to Phil Spencer and ask Microsoft to support Shenmue. Phil Spencer admired the game but couldn't justify it at the time. When Shenmue 3 sells well maybe Yu Suzuki could reach out to Microsoft for further support. I would also like to see Shenmue developed for the Nintendo Switch but I understand that this might not be possible due to Nintendo limited specs. Maybe Sega could release Shenmue 1&2 on the Switch to further boost the sales.

Also the next gen consoles are due out holiday 2020. When Shenmue 3 is a success Shenmue 4 will be developed for PS5 and Xbox Scarlett giving us a better looking and more capable game.

I was thinking earlier about when the Shenmue community would reach out to Phil Spencer and ask Microsoft to support Shenmue. Phil Spencer admired the game but couldn't justify it at the time. When Shenmue 3 sells well maybe Yu Suzuki could reach out to Microsoft for further support. I would also like to see Shenmue developed for the Nintendo Switch but I understand that this might not be possible due to Nintendo limited specs. Maybe Sega could release Shenmue 1&2 on the Switch to further boost the sales.

Also the next gen consoles are due out holiday 2020. When Shenmue 3 is a success Shenmue 4 will be developed for PS5 and Xbox Scarlett giving us a better looking and more capable game.

Sony has revealed their interest in purchasing developers or having unique titles. I don't really expect them to let YsNet slip away to Microsoft if Shenmue III is moderately successful.

Having them on the stage in 2015 was a huge boon for both fans of the series and Sony acknowledging fan demand for long lost titles, even if they didn't directly contribute hugely to the title at first.

Now that they've seen the interest(same with SEGA with 1+2), they may be more inclined to pursue it as a unique PS franchise like Yakuza currently enjoys.

I'm placing a bet that Sony will make 1+2 free for PS+ the month of release.

I would kinda hope Shenmue 4 wraps up the story if it were to become an Xbox exclusive(Unless it was a package deal with 5 coming right after lol). We all know the problems they've had breaking into the Asia market. If 3 has great sales Shenmue 4 could be the kind of exclusive Microsoft desperately needs, to hook a different audience besides their usual FPS crowd. Their indie titles right now might be better than a lot of the exclusives which is umm cool, but kinda bad at the same time.

I'm not trying to start a fight or heated debate. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea if Shenmue 4 signed a exclusive permanent deal with Epic for a insane amount of funding?

I'm not trying to start a fight or heated debate. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea if Shenmue 4 signed a exclusive permanent deal with Epic for a insane amount of funding?

Nope. No kickstarters, and Yu gets to really flex his creative muscle without the pressure of fitting everything into this tight budget. Win/Win situation for me.

I doubt people will be complaining about Epic as much 3-5 years down the road when it actually has a great library of exclusives and has all of the features Steam has.

That Ryan Payton interview is great... and I feel so bad for him when he says he pitched and worked on a Battle Royale game for about two years around 2014 before being told by a publisher they just didn't see a market for it.

That would ultimately be up to Sega to decide since they technically still own the IP. Also it would depend on how well Shenmue 3 sells on the Epic Game Store. If Shenmue 3 not only sells well, but sells the best on the Epic launcher, I wouldn't be surprised if Epic makes that move.

What's more likely though is that Epic, Deep Silver, Sega, Sony, Y's Net, etc will want to maximize their investment. That would mean going multi-platform with Shenmue 3 on the Xbox and the Switch. With Shenmue IV, like I said before the ball would be in Sega's court. Seeing as how Shenmue is actually a money maker now they might just contract Y's Net for Shenmue IV themselves.

The growing pains for Shenmue 3 are done as Y's Net now has a solid structure set in place. They can make Shenmue IV faster and cheaper compared to the original two games. It would be an attractive prospect; minimal cost and maximum reward. Something no company would pass up.

On a personal level, as long as Yu Suzuki gets to make his art and there aren't any scummy monetization schemes I am all for it. I want Yu Suzuki's Shenmue to thrive.

Last edited:
I tink the mos likely scenarios are either Sega backs a Shenmue 4 or Deep Silver buys the Shenmue franchise like they did after kingdom come.

Just thinking...imagine decades or even centuries from now... the complete saga of Shenmue I, II, III, IV, V, etc preserved and showcased in museums for millennia...

The Magnum Opus of Interactive Art...

All the obstacles obsolete upon the enshrinement of eternity...

Back