Random Shenmue III Thoughts

It's going to be a strange feeling once III releases. All that waiting and anticipation, probably never to be repeated in our lifetimes. I don't think I will ever look forward to a game as much ever again, how can anything else compare to the emotional rollercoaster that is the handling of the Shenmue franchise?

I remember talking to my best friend in Game when he was buying his Dreamcast copy of Shenmue II (I pretty much bullied him into it - worth it though, he still has it and it's one of his fave games) and saying I'll buy an Xbox, or PS2, whatever Shenmue III ends up on, I'll get one.

Didn't think it would be nearly twenty years later

It's going to be a strange feeling once III releases. All that waiting and anticipation, probably never to be repeated in our lifetimes. I don't think I will ever look forward to a game as much ever again, how can anything else compare to the emotional rollercoaster that is the handling of the Shenmue franchise?

I remember talking to my best friend in Game when he was buying his Dreamcast copy of Shenmue II (I pretty much bullied him into it - worth it though, he still has it and it's one of his fave games) and saying I'll buy an Xbox, or PS2, whatever Shenmue III ends up on, I'll get one.

Didn't think it would be nearly twenty years later
Well the wait is almost finally over in mere months the dream will be real :)

That's the thing once the game come sout that is all over. We've had such a rollercoaster that when this finishes we will all have a moment of 'what next', 'where do we go from here'. My hope is for Shenmue 4 and to continually promote Shenmue 3 to help ensure the future of the series.

What's everyones plans when the game does come out?

I'm extremely worried about Spoilers in these modern times, Youtube algorithms are a particular pain as every major release has the final boss / ending spoiled in a thumbnail.

I might live like it's 2001 for a few weeks and isolate myself from the world

This isn't just another game, getting spoiled would be heartbreaking

The Epic Question is also important for the PC market. Do you guys really think that the fall or the rise of the Shenmue Franchise will be decided on the PC Battlefield? is Shenmue a genre that PC fans crave for? I am no pc gamer so I am not sure, but judging from the comments in the web most pc gamers are tech fanatics that just care About fps and Resolution. In that fields Shenmue will never be the best among the best.

I think but that is just my personal opinion, that the console sector is more important for the future of Shenmue. Because Shenmue is more a console type game. And do not forget the Asian Market. In the Asian market the pc is niche as a gaming machine. So everything depends on the consoles.

But I might be wrong of Course..

I think the kickstarter numbers show that it's still a console game first and foremost. 10,000 more people pledged for the PS4 physical over the PC.

PC players are important though and they tend to impulse buy. Games are cheaper on PC and have such long legs nowadays compared to back then, digital storefronts mean Epic/Deep Silver will still make sales off Shen III for a long long time.

I was worried at first however I think this whole controversy just helped get the word out to neutral parties. GTA sells on controversy, why can't Shenmue?

The Epic Question is also important for the PC market. Do you guys really think that the fall or the rise of the Shenmue Franchise will be decided on the PC Battlefield? is Shenmue a genre that PC fans crave for? I am no pc gamer so I am not sure, but judging from the comments in the web most pc gamers are tech fanatics that just care About fps and Resolution. In that fields Shenmue will never be the best among the best.

I think but that is just my personal opinion, that the console sector is more important for the future of Shenmue. Because Shenmue is more a console type game. And do not forget the Asian Market. In the Asian market the pc is niche as a gaming machine. So everything depends on the consoles.

But I might be wrong of Course..

You may not be wrong. You're totally wrong af.

It's weird to claim "pc gamers only cares about graphics and fps" when PC is the platform where indies and games with outdated visuals thrives.
Especially adventure games. Undertale was a massive success. Same for Stardew Valley. Millions of units sold. Heck, DOTA 2 is a game ugly af and is ultra popular.

There are games such as Rimworld which are super popular too. I'll let you judge the visuals:

What about DUSK ?

Also, your comment about Asia doesn't make sense either. Japan ? Sure, they're console all the way. But China ? Korea ? SEA ? They're like PC all the way.

I'm also sorry to break it for you, but from the way things look right now, only China might bring a good enough uplift for Shenmue.

Like it or not, neither the western PC audience or the western console audience cares that much about Shenmue.

I think the kickstarter numbers show that it's still a console game first and foremost. 10,000 more people pledged for the PS4 physical over the PC.
We don't know the exact platform breakdown but if you compare the physical PC tier to physical PS4 tier on KS, PC only accounts for 24-25%. It's still very much a console series, but I agree that building a stronger PC fanbase can only be a good thing.

You have heard from the term pc master race ghost trick? You watch tech related channels on YouTube like digtal Foundry and other stuff? No? You should. you will read many comments were talk About These Things. Even under console related Topics they bash consoles and tell how weak they are compared to PCs.

And you are really going to tell me that PC gaming is now for consual Gamers that just want to have fun, with Little to no technical know how?

Are you really telling me that casual gaming is on the rise, and the whole pc fanatics in the Internet are just a vocal mintory and casual gaming gets more important on the PC from day to day?

Fine, the more Money Shenmue gets the better. As Long as PC gaming is not the only way to Play games I am fine with it. Would be Nightmare if I would have to Play on a pc. Way too uncomfortable and expensive for me.

Last edited:
I have to say not all PC gamers are people who care about graphics and resolution. I agree with @GhostTrick on that. I use my PC for all sorts of older games as well as newer ones. That said PC gaming is less and less of casual market these days as the tech races kick in. Console has many more casual as it is cheaper to access, easier to understand and less to go wrong.

However I would say that juding by the sales of the collectors edition the console market is where the bulk of Shenmue's fans remain, standing in the top 10 of Amazon sales (UK, GER, Japan) for over a week. That's not to say PC should be discounted because it is the biggest gaming market going but there's so many segments to that market.

Also limited run are selling the collectors edition with 4000 PS4 copies and 1000 PC copies. That in itself says enough about where firms seem to think the market is for Shenmue at least.

Wider console and PC gamers probably won't be as interested in Shenmue and that's fine, you might grab some of them but more will likely come from the console market IMO.

From around 2008 to 2015 PC was my primary gaming platform (plus DS/3DS) but when my first kid was born that came to an end. Right now it's simply too inconvenient and expensive for me. Here in Aus graphics cards are stupid expensive -- you're talking $400+ just for a GTX 1600 series card. RTX 2060s are around $550+. Not interested in paying that nowadays.

Yeah, PC was my primary gaming platform from around 2007 - 2012 (when I finally picked up a PS3) (Edit: Not to mention, PC was also my primary gaming platform in the 90s too) . But the idea that the market is anywhere near comparable with the console market is nonsensical.

I tink the mos likely scenarios are either Sega backs a Shenmue 4 or Deep Silver buys the Shenmue franchise like they did after kingdom come.

i think the second scenario is not a unrealistic thought because Koch Media is always looking for new territories and partners.
but as you know all of these deals have to be made individually, Sega would still have to say yes
and i dont know if they would sell a complete IP. also Shenmue is a bit problematic because
of all the other stuff, like Sega arcade machines and toys. if Sega sells the IP to Koch Media,
then they still have to ask Sega everytime about the Sega related products for the other games
because Koch Media cant buy the rights.
would you buy a IP when you cant get the rights for everything?
i think if Sega sells the name, then its possible that we will never see any Sega related things in Shenmue again.

i think the better way would be to just bypass Kickstarter next time completely,
let Deep Silver and Sega work together. nobody has to pay 100% and the next game is cheaper, so the risk of failure is lower.
they already have the perfect distribution divisions for a worldwide release (thats why they already are partners)
and they would own all of the rights for everything you want to see in a Shenmue game.

but who knows what was already arranged with Epic or Sega or Sony ... i dont.
maybe behind closed doors Shenmue 4 already has the green light or maybe they didnt talk about Shenmue 4 at all yet.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this goes off-topic from the thread, but from posters more "in the know" than I, what is the general feeling about the chances of a Shenmue IV?

Back