Random Shenmue III Thoughts

i think its for the better that Epic has no user review function. it would only work
if they restrict it so that only people who bought it directly on Epic can make a review.
otherwise it will be just a flood of nonsense.

i'm not a big fan of user reviews in general like on Amazon or Steam
because the comments are all over the place. some people are saying something like 1 star
because "the package was damaged", some people are saying 5 stars "it works".
and on Steam you have all this stuff like "i have a good PC but the framerate is not good",
"my game crashes and i dont know why", "the game is so long and i dont like side missions".

those are not reviews, it doesnt help anyone.

Except you already need to own the game on Steam to review a game.

As for technical reviews, I think they matter too. People are grown ups. They can read. You can take the reviews that matters to you. Some.will cover the story aspect. Some the gameplay. Some the technical aspect. A review is supposed to bring an answer to a question you might have about a purchase.

Except you already need to own the game on Steam to review a game.

As for technical reviews, I think they matter too. People are grown ups. They can read. You can take the reviews that matters to you. Some.will cover the story aspect. Some the gameplay. Some the technical aspect. A review is supposed to bring an answer to a question you might have about a purchase.

technical reviews, sure, but then i need all of the details and not "the framerate is bad" or "all of my other games are fine".
there are a ton of people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
like people with PCs from 2011 and they are mad because something like Assassins Creed Odyssey doesnt work
in 4K 60fps ultra settings - what a surprise.

a lot of reviews are a mishmash of random things where you have no idea if its just a problem of this user
or a problem of this product

The problem with user reviews is people rarely review a game (or any form of media) objectively. It's the same with IMDB (although GhostTrust has a point on Steam where only people who have purchased the game can review it). It's just a war between people rating the film or game 1/10 because reasons and fanboys rating it 10/10.

The problem with user reviews is people rarely review a game (or any form of media) objectively. It's the same with IMDB (although GhostTrust has a point on Steam where only people who have purchased the game can review it). It's just a war between people rating the film or game 1/10 because reasons and fanboys rating it 10/10.
I suspect we will see something similar with the Metacritic scores. People upset by Epic or who really have issues with anything Shenmue will bomb it and we will review it well to counter it. That said we should continue with the positive message once the game comes as it will encourage others to play it. I've already seen a number of comments over youtube of people being interested and wanting to play 3 or the originals before 3 comes out. The tide is turning barring the refunds going live and the inevitable backlash some will make of it because they've not got all the tier back as they've been implemented already.

technical reviews, sure, but then i need all of the details and not "the framerate is bad" or "all of my other games are fine".
there are a ton of people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
like people with PCs from 2011 and they are mad because something like Assassins Creed Odyssey doesnt work
in 4K 60fps ultra settings - what a surprise.

a lot of reviews are a mishmash of random things where you have no idea if its just a problem of this user
or a problem of this product

Which is why you can filter reviews.
Some are useless. Some are usefull. And their usefullness can vary from users to users.

I suspect we will see something similar with the Metacritic scores. People upset by Epic or who really have issues with anything Shenmue will bomb it and we will review it well to counter it. That said we should continue with the positive message once the game comes as it will encourage others to play it. I've already seen a number of comments over youtube of people being interested and wanting to play 3 or the originals before 3 comes out. The tide is turning barring the refunds going live and the inevitable backlash some will make of it because they've not got all the tier back as they've been implemented already.

These ppl have to be very sad individuals to take time out of their day to purposely sabotage or review bomb something. What an absolute joke.

We can already see it in YouTube like/dislike metrics.

On the plus side, it's been really diminished after a good Gamescom showing. Once refunds are done with and provided there are no more controversies heading into launch, I don't see any review bombing effort being something we can't counter.

It's very easy to navigate Steam user reviews. I think they've got it right. There's the recent and overall bit at the top. Review bombing is easy to spot, and if you want to discover the reason for a bombing you can scroll down to quickly preview the most recent. The most helpful have prominence.

To me, Steam user reviews are the best thing happened in modern gaming after crowdfunding. The Valve's algorithm does wonders and always puts the most structured and relevant reviews at the top. It's not a question to know how bad or good is the game, but what does it consist precisely of and if it might fit your taste. You can always count on the community to make some passionate and informative writing so it's easy to crosscheck.
One of the benefits of indy industry is that user reviewing also allows polite interaction with the developers as the latter can respond your review to fix a problem. I've never seen an user review system as useful than Steam's.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. My computer can't even run Shenmue HD lol
If your internet connection is good enough you can try the shadow pc (https://shadow.tech/). After looking for a way to play on a Mac that's the easiest way I found to run the demo without buyingaa new computer (well, I'll see next month, finger crossed). You can have a free trial of 30 days, enough to try the demo ;)

If your internet connection is good enough you can try the shadow pc (https://shadow.tech/). After looking for a way to play on a Mac that's the easiest way I found to run the demo without buyingaa new computer (well, I'll see next month, finger crossed). You can have a free trial of 30 days, enough to try the demo ;)

Wow thanks man. i didn't even know about shadow. I'll look into it. Cheers.

I concur with all that has been said. As long as the gameplay is good I think the troll types will be washed away; because the majority will be having fun with the game. The like/dislike ratio on all of the official pages get better by the day. Of course there's a few mouth-breathers "Hurr durr looks like a Ps2 game..." "Hurr durr Yakuza is better", but it's getting easier to shout those people down as blind or just ignorant. I can live with some legitimate gripes which I'm sure there will be since nothing is perfect, but if there ever was a narrative about the game being unplayable it's being sawed down. We'll see what happens when the game comes out, but it's looking like we're having a best possible case scenario after the game's been shellacked for months.

i think its for the better that Epic has no user review function. it would only work
if they restrict it so that only people who bought it directly on Epic can make a review.
otherwise it will be just a flood of nonsense.

i'm not a big fan of user reviews in general like on Amazon or Steam
because the comments are all over the place. some people are saying something like 1 star
because "the package was damaged", some people are saying 5 stars "it works".
and on Steam you have all this stuff like "i have a good PC but the framerate is not good",
"my game crashes and i dont know why", "the game is so long and i dont like side missions".

those are not reviews, it doesnt help anyone.

What is worse is that on Amazon people often end up reviewing the seller instead of the product itself. I'm tired of seeing one stars for dumb nonsense on there as it gives the wrong impressions. It doesn't help that seller feedback is kind of hidden, and most people think Amazon sells everything I guess. It is kind of like how a few people mistakenly think that a single console manufacture makes all games for said system. This mostly applies to older consoles, but that is another story. There was a dumb review on Amazon somewhere where a user was calling Sega "The Monkey Family" for some reason in a one star review. I don't think that was some kind of dry mockery by the way. Steam is slightly better, but not by much, but Amazon is worse. Quality of reviews are the biggest problem with these places!

For the people calling the graphics good for a PS2 or Dreamcast game, they fail to realize how ambitious Shenmue 3 truly is, given the tiny budget. For perspective, the only other Kickstarter 3D "open world" game that I'm aware of that it is as ambitious as Shenmue 3, Kingdom Come, had a budget of over $36 million.

I'm actually happy we had to wait all this time to get Shenmue 3. I remember when the Shenmue series was going to be continued through Shenmue Online. I wasn't a fan of this idea, I always wanted to play and experience Shenmue the way it was suppose to. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but everytime I'm on this forum or reading about Shenmue I get very happy and positive vibes. I think the Shenmue series is here to stay.

This is the random thoughts thread, so I feel like posting an old discussion, because I keep seeing the same comments on social media and various forums. So here goes...

Does anyone find it weird that there are people so desperate for a final "conclusion", that they are willing for any it to be done at any cost? I keep seeing the same comments about how Shenmue 3 should be the final game and that Yu Suzuki should essentially butcher his story to give gamers a conclusion. Do they not consider at what cost that would be? Think about all of the little fabrics of story that have weaved in and out of the two predecessors. How in God's name would they resolve everything and leave no unfinished plot strands?

I saw one guy almost claiming Yu Suzuki is either deluded or milking the fanbase and he said Yu Suzuki should have Ryo have his showdown with Lan Di, beat him and have his revenge, so fans can have their closure. Well, for one thing, if that's what you want for a finale, you just got it, because you made it up inside your head. And two, if you think all Shenmue is about and all it has been building up to is Ryo "having his revenge", killing Lan Di and walking off into the sunset, then I don't think you have really been paying attention to these games.

It just seems so bizarre to me. Getting Shenmue 3 was never about concluding the story for me (obviously I would eventually want a conclusion). We always knew Yu needed at least 4 or 5 games and sacrifices cannot be made to have 3 conclude the series.

To me, it's like those label execs telling Queen that Bohemian Rhapsody was too long for radio and needed to be cut down. Sure, you could remove some of the movements, shorten the intro, give it a more conventional verse, bridge, chorus structure, but then it wouldn't be Bohemian Rhapsody anymore and it would lose much of what makes it so special. Or could you imagine if the Lord of the Rings trilogy films weren't 3 hours a piece each? It just wouldn't work.

Back