Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I do feel like this all just proved that people don't like watching game dev progress as much as they claim. Cuz it's not the final polish experience we're used to consuming year in and year out.

All games go through this cycle, whether they are your GOTY or your 1/10 games, every single game have an ugly phase at one point in development.

But Yu is a legend with a proven track record. He's working magic even with a quarter of the normal AAA budget. He completely has my trust.

Just an aside to those discussing the possibility of Shenmue IV becoming a reality:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance already has a sequel greenlit and in early development from what I read recently.

It was nowhere near as high-profile as Shenmue III's Kickstarter, but still managed to become successful enough to get a sequel made with no preexisting fanbase aside from backers.

I have full faith that at least Shenmue IV will happen. V may be a stretch, but I've no doubt that Yu will finish the story in some way.

This might sound a little morbid, but is anyone else going to be walking on egg shells the next 3 months? Especially in this window of time between the original release date and the actual release date, I really don't want the universe making a cosmic joke of myself by smiting me in some kind of fiery tragic accident before actually being able to play this game ?

This might sound a little morbid, but is anyone else going to be walking on egg shells the next 3 months? Especially in this window of time between the original release date and the actual release date, I really don't want the universe making a cosmic joke of myself by smiting me in some kind of fiery tragic accident before actually being able to play this game ?

At first, I thought you were just talking about accidentally seeing a spoiler on your recommended videos on youtube or something :ROFLMAO: then I read on and realized it was far darker than that.

I'll be on guard for any chandeliers falling from the ceiling for the next 3 months now!

Another random thought I had is about the danger Ryo has potentially put his friends and family in, albeit without realizing.

Does Terry strike you as the kind of guy who'd accept a humiliating defeat without retaliating? The mad angels already know Ryo's household phone number, so it wouldn't be a stretch to say they know where his family live. They were stalking him, after all.

The same applies to Joy and Wong. Surely they aren't safe from the Yellow heads after the events of disc 3. Yuanda Zhu's a slippery snake so he should be alright, I'm sure he'll find another hiding place (if needs be).

It would be cool if the telephone calls we get with Ryo's family clears this up. Imagine if Fuku-San tells us that Terry did come around to the Hazuki residence but Fuku beat the crap out of him and the mad angels never bothered them again :ROFLMAO:

Kojima's nearing 60 (I actually had to do a double take when I saw this; he looks like he's in his 40s to me) and so is Nagoshi. Suzuki isn't THAT old, guys. Calm down. As long as the game sells, he'll see the series through. If it doesn't, I'm sure he has a contingency plan to release the remainder of the story. Now, I'd much rather more Shenmue, but I'll take what I can get. I remain optimistic.

Last edited:
Here's a random thought re. Shenmue 3's plot. What do you think the chances are that Shenhua dies either in this game or somewhere along the line? I've noted killing key protagonists seems to be popular for story writers, but her age and role in the prophecy, whatever that may be, makes me think that (hopefully) she would be spared. Personally this is the only non-negotiable issue I'd have with the story, I couldn't imagine a Shenmue game without her!

I'll be reviewing it on Gfaqs as per normal; the only Non-Sega console and PC games I have reviewed, are the Yakuza series (and own basically, for that matter lol) and Binary Domain.

I do have 220ish reviews published on the site and they get decent tread, in terms of viewership (just got a positive rec on my Sega Bass Fishing 2 review, from 2012, IIRC).

You'd be surprised how many people still frequent the site, despite its traffic dying down in recent years...

Anyways, we absolutely need AT LEAST a 4th game. My guess is Niao Sun is fought (in some way) in 3, then we will get at least 1 more in 4. At that point, if we NEED a conclusion, I would say a 5th game is necessary, but for the 4th title, we need a bit more digging into at least 1 more of the Chiyoumen leaders.

If everything wraps up brilliantly in the 4th, I'd be cool with concluding the story in another way; game is always preferred, but any conclusion after the 4th game, would work for me.

Last edited:
Here's a random thought re. Shenmue 3's plot. What do you think the chances are that Shenhua dies either in this game or somewhere along the line? I've noted killing key protagonists seems to be popular for story writers, but her age and role in the prophecy, whatever that may be, makes me think that (hopefully) she would be spared. Personally this is the only non-negotiable issue I'd have with the story, I couldn't imagine a Shenmue game without her!

Not happening.

I am really down today Shenmue wise. I have read two times today coming from other fans im twitter, even listen to them regretting that Shenmue 3 will please the fans but will fail commercially due to no be innovative enough. I am tired of the way of thinking right now in all media that says that if you can't sell like a Fifa, CoD or GTA your product is a failure, if you don't sell as much as ticket as an Avenger movie your film is a faliure... People, even in the press, does not take in consideration sales projections, commercial risks or investments.
Also, the stupid comment "it is not possible that it would sell better than the re-release". I am having a fucking hater day

That's exactly how I felt on the days leading up to Kingdom Hearts 3's release, and now it's happening again.

I'll be reviewing it on Gfaqs as per normal; the only Non-Sega console and PC games I have reviewed, are the Yakuza series (and own basically, for that matter lol) and Binary Domain.

I do have 220ish reviews published on the site and they get decent tread, in terms of viewership (just got a positive rec on my Sega Bass Fishing 2 review, from 2012, IIRC).

You'd be surprised how many people still frequent the site, despite its traffic dying down in recent years...

Anyways, we absolutely need AT LEAST a 4th game. My guess is Niao Sun is fought (in some way) in 3, then we will get at least 1 more in 4. At that point, if we NEED a conclusion, I would say a 5th game is necessary, but for the 4th title, we need a bit more digging into at least 1 more of the Chiyoumen leaders.

If everything wraps up brilliantly in the 4th, I'd be cool with concluding the story in another way; game is always preferred, but any conclusion after the 4th game, would work for me.

I still use Gamefaqs. It's a decent site.

I am really down today Shenmue wise.

I am having a fucking hater day

Unless they have Oprah levels of influence over the general public, they can prophecize whatever they like, as hard as they like, and it won't make a bit of difference to reality. The game will either sell or it won't, and that will be determined by Ys Net's quality and Deep Silver's marketing, not @billybob69's opinionated tweets.

Apparently Judgment sold well enough to merit a possible sequel. If that game sells, I don't see how Shenmue 3 doesn't. It's not like all the cool kids on the playground were talking about Judgment. Like LGS said, nothing you've heard online is gonna matter. Ultimately, marketing and the game's quality will move units. Epic, Steam, Yakuza... none of that shit matters. Don't let the negative jerks on the internet tell you otherwise.

I hate that billybob69 motherfucker.

Last edited:
I agree very much that the real factor here is the game's quality.
That by itself will create its reputation.
If the game is trully good, many reviewers will have to aknowledge it. The majority at least.
Some bad reviews are inevitable. That's like that with all games, Shenmue3 will be no different.
As I said many times. It's the game's quality that will really decide its future, not the opinions some people have about its graphics.
(markting is allways important of course.)

Judgement also reviewed well. Shenmue is a lot more polarising than the formula in Yakuza games. Reviews will matter for people on the fence and that's probably a lot of people after 20 years.

Judgement also reviewed well. Shenmue is a lot more polarising than the formula in Yakuza games. Reviews will matter for people on the fence and that's probably a lot of people after 20 years.
I hope Shenmue's tenuous connection to Yakuza boosts its sales somehow. It's a whole different world than 2000, or even 2005 for that matter, and I'm interested in seeing how interested today's gamers are in Yakuza's 'predecessor' as well as seeing how receptive people who play games like Life is Strange are to Shenmue. In 2019, a 'slow' game can sell.

here is a small side fact which is pretty cool or funny i guess.
Judgment sold better than other Yakuza titles in european countries,
probably because it was the first game that came with different subtitle and text translations for a lot of countries.
guess who was responsible for that? it was a suggestion from the european distribution partner of Sega -
Koch Media, the parent company of Deep Silver.
Sega, Koch Media, Yakuza, Deep Silver, Shenmue ... its a very small world.

here is a small side fact which is pretty cool or funny i guess.
Judgment sold better than other Yakuza titles in european countries,
probably because it was the first game that came with different subtitle and text translations for a lot of countries.
guess who was responsible for that? it was a suggestion from the european distribution partner of Sega -
Koch Media, the parent company of Deep Silver.
Sega, Koch Media, Yakuza, Deep Silver, Shenmue ... its a very small world.

Have you the source please?

Back