Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Definitive films has been putting up some shenmue content lately.
Cool pic! I love that drawing

What's interesting here is that Lan Di's hair isn't as "wild" as it was in some early concept art:

sou_02.jpg

Even the Saturn renders/in-game model were a bit more free-flowing than in that Miyawaki drawing:

5KgImBu.png

The one thing I would still like to know from Yu is how much the third game has changed from his original vision during his Dreamcast days. Have any of his experiences during the past 18 years led him to alter the script or the way he perceives Shenmue 3?

pretty sure even in the Dreamcast days, the story has been tastefully trimmed. And I'm not only referencing the cut out village prior to Guilin (name is escaping me at the moment) or the boat. Trimmed to the point of only 3 games would be unrealistic and ridiculous; 4 is a heavy maybe. 5 would be best, but I'm sure in a perfect world where the saga finished on Dreamcast 2 or DC3, it could/would fit into 6 or 7, to be blunt.

I seem to recall Yu saying that they reduced Lan Di's hair style to the ponytail due to hardware limitations. If S1 had been made during the PS3 or PS4 era I think we would have gotten "Wild Mane Lanny Boy" right from the get-go. But since he has now been known to wear his hair in a ponytail, YS Net have probably decided to stick to that look in S3.

Some things about the story may have been different if the game had been released in 2004 or something like that but I think overall Yu has been surprisingly faithful to the VFRPG storyboard cards from the 90s, although he seems to have reshuffled the order somewhat, like for instance with the campfire scene which was originally going to happen a lot later in the story if I recall right, from the order of the VFRPG cards.

If they weren't on a tight budget with this game then I'd expect 50% of it to go into a climactic scene where Lan Di lets his hair loose and shakes out his glorious mane in slow motion, like in a shampoo commercial or "love at first sight" movie moment.

You could end the game right there.

In fact when Yu told Shenmue Master in 2011 that his favorite part of the saga would happen in Shenmue 3, this is almost certainly what he was referring to, I think.

Really starting to feel the wait for the trial version now. I audibly groaned when I remembered August is a 31 day month and September doesn't start until Sunday.

God help us when Ys Net put a date on the backer trial. Hours will feel like days.
Keep yourself busy and play other games, the time will melt away.

That’s a great question and I would love to know the genuine answer to this also.
In terms of the story, maybe not much.
In terms of gameplay and ideias probably a lot!
Today's technology and UE4 might really have changed what we would get 15 years ago if the game was made then.
(speaking of ideas and gameplay aspects, of course graphics had to improve)

Last edited:
Yeah, the wait for Shenmue III right now is really killing me too. More so than any other point in the entire campaign. Recently I keep zoning out and fantasize about playing it. In the grand scheme of things there's not much longer left, yet it feels so far away.

Been trying to get into Morrowind (a game I've been wanting to properly try out for a while) to help with the wait, but time still feels like it's passing so much slower as of late.

I've not been as hyped for something as much as Shenmue III for a very long time.

Now Yakuza 7 is a turn-based RPG and lots of fans are in meltdown mode, I'm hoping some of them will turn to Shenmue to see what it's all about ?:whistle:

Funny you say that

One of the first reactions I heard on Facebook in a Yakuza fan group about the move to Turn Based was...well I'll just show it to you all:

Oh the wonderful irony! After hearing so many times that "Yakuza is the better Shenmue"....the wonderful irony :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hey, if it gets us to Shenmue IV then I'll gladly take 'em...come on board guys and girls...come on board and help us get to Shenmue IV.

Last edited:
Fanboys are really a strange crowd. They should at least try out the game before they trash it. I can understand that it is not a good News for some fans, if a beloved series is changed radically. I am still mad what Mikami did to the Re Franchise, with 4, that lead, to 5 and 6. :mad::mad:

But at least I was open and played the game before I trashed it. The Yakuza fans decline the game before they even try it. And that is not very wise.

But somehow I find it amusing, how fast some People change "sides". First they trash Shenmue and say Yakuza is better, and then as soon as they hear, the new Yakuza will be different (different does not worse, but These do not seem to know that) and say the go for Shenmue.

Might be good for S3. it Needs any attention it can get. But it is still funny how fast fanboys change their mind.

But somehow I find it amusing, how fast some People change "sides". First they trash Shenmue and say Yakuza is better, and then as soon as they hear, the new Yakuza will be different (different does not worse, but These do not seem to know that) and say the go for Shenmue.

Might be good for S3. it Needs any attention it can get. But it is still funny how fast fanboys change their mind.

I say let 'em come on board :D:ROFLMAO:

We need all the sales we can get...let 'em come on board...let 'em get us to Shenmue IV and beyond...welcome refugees of the Yakuza brand! Help us get to our goal! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For note; I am actually really stupidly excited about Yakuza 7. I can't wait to try it out. After 10+ games of the same combat mechanics...it needed some fresh air. Although, to play the other side, it is kind of a risky move.

They are potentially alienating their devoted fanbase who like those games for what they are. But for this fan? I'm happy to get a fresh breath of air. If it doesn't pan out then they can always just go back to the tried and true beat 'em up mechanics. But I'm down with the move to turn based, especially after my conflicted feelings with Judgment. Great game, but a little too much of "more of the same."

Last edited:
Back