Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I am really down today Shenmue wise. I have read two times today coming from other fans im twitter, even listen to them regretting that Shenmue 3 will please the fans but will fail commercially due to no be innovative enough. I am tired of the way of thinking right now in all media that says that if you can't sell like a Fifa, CoD or GTA your product is a failure, if you don't sell as much as ticket as an Avenger movie your film is a faliure... People, even in the press, does not take in consideration sales projections, commercial risks or investments.
Also, the stupid comment "it is not possible that it would sell better than the re-release". I am having a fucking hater day

I know how you feel, I've just read some news that were informing about the possibility of Shen mue 4 to happen only if S3 sells a fair amount of copies. Well, you'd had to read all the idiots talking nonsenses, some of them pretending to have played the originals saying that they won't play the third one because of epic/graphics/whatever or some others misinformed...uffff! It's better to not read the comments of the news.

We must do whatever we can to help the game sell well and don't listen to these people.

It's a whole different world than 2000, or even 2005 for that matter, and I'm interested in seeing how interested today's gamers are in Yakuza's 'predecessor' as well as seeing how receptive people who play games like Life is Strange are to Shenmue. In 2019, a 'slow' game can sell.

A market all too often forgotten in these conversations, IMO.

If anyone here happens to be a member of any LiS forums or Facebook groups, it would absolutely be a good idea to start planting the seed that Shenmue 3 could be a game for them, if they don't mind having to throw the odd punch or kick.

A market all too often forgotten in these conversations, IMO.

If anyone here happens to be a member of any LiS forums or Facebook groups, it would absolutely be a good idea to start planting the seed that Shenmue 3 could be a game for them, if they don't mind having to throw the odd punch or kick.
Great idea. Would also be worth reaching out to Yakuza communities, for that matter. I know some of us seem to begrudge Yakuza for many reasons, but I know there are people in the community who’d love another game like Yakuza, especially one with such a connection to the series, in their lives. I recall Yakuza Fan, kind of the Yakuza equivalent of this site, promoting the Shenmue ports when they came out.

If I had any talent or audience whatsoever, I would consider making a nice YouTube introduction aimed at Yakuza or Life is Strange fans showing the appeal of Shenmue and how it might relate to the interests of those respective audiences.

Spoke to my two brothers yesterday (who both backed the Kickstarter) about the Gamescom trailer. They've both been fairly negative about the project and generally disparaging about all of the media that has been released prior to the recent conference.

Yesterday was the first time I've heard them speak about Shenmue III in a positive light for a long while. While they both said it looked somewhat dated, they said it was undeniably Shenmue and are now actually genuinely looking forward to playing it.

They were also unaware of the Epic controversy, which is probably more representative of how the general public feels than some of the online communities which focus on the issue so heavily.
Amazing what a great trailer can do, isn't it?

There’s probably a lot of factors as to why Judgment sold well.

1. It’s a stand-alone game. While it takes place in the same city, you don’t have to have any knowledge or experiences of the yakuza games to play it.

2. It has a good English dub, and is only the second Yakuza adjacent game to have voice acting. (First of the North Star doesn’t count)

3. It had a pretty good marketing campaign.

4. The controversy over the accusations of the former actors drug use/selling probably helped to sell quite a few copies.

5. It’s a detective game and detective games are in.

6. It’s several text localizations with it having separate translations whether you play in Japanese or English.

7. The pedigree of previous Yakuza games

Spoke to my two brothers yesterday (who both backed the Kickstarter) about the Gamescom trailer. They've both been fairly negative about the project and generally disparaging about all of the media that has been released prior to the recent conference.

Yesterday was the first time I've heard them speak about Shenmue III in a positive light for a long while. While they both said it looked somewhat dated, they said it was undeniably Shenmue and are now actually genuinely looking forward to playing it.

They were also unaware of the Epic controversy, which is probably more representative of how the general public feels than some of the online communities which focus on the issue so heavily.

I can confirm this. I have a friend who got Shenmue 1 & 2 HD on Xbox game pass. He says he wasn't able to get into them because of the controls(He's a spoiled gamer for sure and I'm not basing it off of just this lol), but he said he saw the Gamescom trailer for 3 and it looks promising. Hasn't made a mention of the Epics fiasco. So yeah if you aren't crawling around forums or active on specific social media channels for video games chances are you haven't even heard of this drama.

Just figured out that I'm mostly playing old games, minimalist indies, blurry VR experiences, strategy games and 3DS RPG since months. My brain will be completely conditioned when I play Shenmue 3 so I feel somehow privileged in that regard lol.

That moment in the trailer when Ryo's walking in the corridor, it completely blew me away. I can't imagine my emotion in November with the last touches of polish...

Last edited:
I know the trial version is only for Epic Games but can someone explain to me why it's not also being released on PSN? Sony is somewhat involved in the Shenmue 3 process wouldn't this be relatively easy to accomplish? Or is the process much more complex than PC?

I know the trial version is only for Epic Games but can someone explain to me why it's not also being released on PSN? Sony is somewhat involved in the Shenmue 3 process wouldn't this be relatively easy to accomplish? Or is the process much more complex than PC?

No idea...Maybe it's more work than it's worth to build that vertical slice for PS4 as well? I think the only reason we're getting the trial is because 1.) It was a part of the Kickstarter and 2.) they've been showing the game on PC as is so it really isn't too much more work for them to distribute said trial...assuming it's the same trial that everyone else has been shown at trade shows. Maybe it's just a resource thing.

Or maybe they'll port the trial to PSN for all to play in October once we're past the Backer pledge. Backers first then release it to the general public on PSN later maybe? But honestly, don't have a real answer as to why not PSN as well. Seems logical for them to eventually put that trial on PSN for all to try though. But I don't know if any of us really know "why?"

Last edited:

Because YsNet doesn't have time. Not only it takes time but as opposed to PC games, console games needs to go through certifications by the console manufacturer. This can take weeks. Sometimes a month or two.

The demo is also coming kind of last minute if they really want to make that November release date.

If they want to use some of the backer feedback they will get from the demo, I think it will hardly be possible to put that on the disc version of the game and much more likely to be worked into a day 1 patch or a patch which will come out briefly after the release.

Why do some people try to qualify themselves as "true" fans before railing on the fan base and the series?

View attachment 3994
"Fans are idiots!"

is unable to determine a AAA game made by a team of potentially hundreds, using the latest bleeding edge motion capture and face scanning technology, and a crowdfunded sequel made by an independent team of approximately 45

Down vote and move on. These people cannot be saved.

Why do some people try to qualify themselves as "true" fans before railing on the fan base and the series?

View attachment 3994

“I was a Shenmue fan...but because they made this game look like Shenmue for the fans who asked for more Shenmue then I’m gonna act like a pissing moaning baby and take my ball and run. That’ll show ‘em!”

RIIIIIGGGGHHHHT!

Either a troll looking for a rise or a kid who thinks he is so edgy for hating stuff on the internet.

Back