Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I know some people joke we can do it all again for Shenmue IV, but it won't quite be the same. It'll be easier from here on if anything, but Shenmue III having the weight that it does because of all the doubt makes it feel like a bigger achievement. There's something satisfying knowing that in the end, we made it.

Look at this juncture any Shenmue is special by virtue of what the series has gone through. Seeing extracts of the GI interview with Suzuki where he tried shopping the game around and was basically rejected and having to resort to Kickstarter to fund a barebones version of the game really drives home how far we’ve come.

Yes things could have gone a lot more smoothly and certain decisions and omissions will no doubt disappoint long term fans, but on the other side of that coin we most certainly without Deep Silver and Epic’s involvement would have a much more watered down and dare I say poorer overall game.

It’s hard not to keep an eye and speculate on future of series, but I’m going to try and concentrate and enjoy that we got this game despite all the odds in part thanks to amazing community.

I tried to go back to RAGE 2 this weekend...and found myself so incredibly bored.
Went back to the Shenmue 3 trial for what seems to be the 20th time now and found myself giddy with anticipation for the full game.

For all this talk from haters about how Shenmue's game design is outdated, I must say I am so ready for something different from the norm. I am so ready for that 2001 game design. Because at least it's different to everything else that feels so conventional and boring to boot.

I can name at least three open world games I've played this year that were all generic heartless junk...stuff that I've either long forgotten or have no interest in beating. Yet, I'm so ready to jump into Bailu and just live.

Anyone else feel that way about modern games? I don't mean this to sound elitist because I do like a wide breath of games.....but I feel like I'm just so tired of heartless modern day game design that feels more corporate and check listy than ever. I'm tired of dreary open worlds or in the case of Rage 2, a game that is just a vast wasteland that is lifeless and lacks any sort of personality other than generic open world stop gap shooter to profit off of while waiting for Doom Eternal (which I'm saddened to hear has a fucking hub world)

I'm just so tired of modern game design. 90% of it feels so damn hollow, dreary and unwilling to experiment...Playing the Shenmue III trial was a reminder that even though this may feel old by current day standards, it still feels fresh and experimental to me in a way that 90% of modern games don't even want to try and be. It still feels like it has a personality to it.

I guess I'm just tired of modern day open world designs all being so incredibly samey and I'm so incredibly ready for Shenmue III just to experience something different again...something that has vibrancy and life to it instead of dreary emptiness or massive OCD check listing.

Last edited:
Fuckin' A.

25 hours clocked in the trial and I'm fighting the urge to play it some more. It just feels really... nice.

It's not nostalgia or rose-tinted glasses, or whatever pathetic excuses people used to downplay loving the original games. Something just clicks. and Shenmue pushes the right buttons for me.

Fuckin' A.

25 hours clocked in the trial and I'm fighting the urge to play it some more. It just feels really... nice.

It's not nostalgia or rose-tinted glasses, or whatever pathetic excuses people used to downplay loving the original games. Something just clicks. and Shenmue pushes the right buttons for me.
I forced myself to delete the trial because it was so good and such a tease. Fighting off the urges were pretty tough early on. We are so close

Hey, usually EB Games here in Canada has a "coming next month" rack of games for each console where the games coming for November and available for pre-order should be out in empty cases. I wonder if Shenmue 3 is on their shelves yet? I should check, we still only have that low-res screenshot of the back case lol

On this current playthrough, I built up I sizeable capsule toy collection for the first time ever in S1. I always used to do that in S2, before getting robbed by Wong and the others, but I figured I might as well save some of the time and do the capsule toy buying in S1.

I can name at least three open world games I've played this year that were all generic heartless junk...stuff that I've either long forgotten or have no interest in beating. Yet, I'm so ready to jump into Bailu and just live.

Anyone else feel that way about modern games? I don't mean this to sound elitist because I do like a wide breath of games.....but I feel like I'm just so tired of heartless modern day game design that feels more corporate and check listy than ever. I'm tired of dreary open worlds or in the case of Rage 2, a game that is just a vast wasteland that is lifeless and lacks any sort of personality other than generic open world stop gap shooter to profit off of while waiting for Doom Eternal (which I'm saddened to hear has a fucking hub world)
Yes man.
I'm a big metal gear solid fan. And I didn't like msgv very much.
Most missions feel the same.
There is no longer strong emotional resons to advance to each mission.
Snake feels soulless.
And the soundtrack is super bad compared to previous games. It's too morbid.

I don’t play games much these days but the Shenmue3 demo and hopefully the full game will give me that expirience i miss for so long :p

Yes man.
I'm a big metal gear solid fan. And I didn't like msgv very much.
Most missions feel the same.
There is no longer strong emotional resons to advance to each mission.
Snake feels soulless.
And the soundtrack is super bad compared to previous games. It's too morbid.

I don’t play games much these days but the Shenmue3 demo and hopefully the full game will give me that expirience i miss for so long :p

I agree, I too am a Metal Gear fan but I ended up hating MGS V. Not to mention the fact that it was an unfinished product but it was just SOOOO copy/paste...I felt so bored of that game by the time I reached the 30 hour mark and realised I was looting yet another base that looked exactly like the last base I looted. Not to mention the story went absolutely nowhere (the one potentially interesting plot thread went no where), Skull Face was completely forgettable and so on...that game is my biggest letdown of the generation. I know some fans really hate MGS4. but I'll take MGS4 any day of the week over the shit fest that was MGS V.

Talk about games that didn't need to go open world. I don't know what is with this push lately of taking everything and trying to make them open world? I recently finished Gears 5 and it too tried to do this...well it tried to do the same thing as Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in giving wide open spaces passing off as small open world. It actually was the one thing I disliked the most about Gears 5...why can't we just have a linear shooter? I don't need every game to be open world or strive to be open.

I feel like open world is so played out this gen. Most of them lack personality or feel like they're open world because market research dictates it so...maybe another reason why i'm giddy for Shenmue....because at least it's an open world that has some personality and vibrance to it. That's its biggest draw so far for me (outside of the fact that its more Shenmue.) It just looks lively in a way that I'm not seeing from other games.

MGS 5 is horrible indeed. It does not feel like a MGS at all, and is the texbook example why the open world craze is stuptid. Not every genre needs to be open world ish. Story driven games should be linear. If it has to be open world then the devs should do it like Shenmue.

Where the open world is character itself. A world in which the Protagonist is a part of this world.

I agree, I too am a Metal Gear fan but I ended up hating MGS V. Not to mention the fact that it was an unfinished product but it was just SOOOO copy/paste...I felt so bored of that game by the time I reached the 30 hour mark and realised I was looting yet another base that looked exactly like the last base I looted. Not to mention the story went absolutely nowhere (the one potentially interesting plot thread went no where), Skull Face was completely forgettable and so on...that game is my biggest letdown of the generation. I know some fans really hate MGS4. but I'll take MGS4 any day of the week over the shit fest that was MGS V.

Talk about games that didn't need to go open world. I don't know what is with this push lately of taking everything and trying to make them open world? I recently finished Gears 5 and it too tried to do this...well it tried to do the same thing as Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in giving wide open spaces passing off as small open world. It actually was the one thing I disliked the most about Gears 5...why can't we just have a linear shooter? I don't need every game to be open world or strive to be open.

I feel like open world is so played out this gen. Most of them lack personality or feel like they're open world because market research dictates it so...maybe another reason why i'm giddy for Shenmue....because at least it's an open world that has some personality and vibrance to it. That's its biggest draw so far for me (outside of the fact that its more Shenmue.) It just looks lively in a way that I'm not seeing from other games.
Yeah. you have a good point.
Many games don't benefit at all from being "open world" cause destroys the original concept.

MGSV was a letdown for me.
Snake didn't felt like snake,
Horrible ost compared to previous entries,
Level design is very very bad when you take into accound the magnificience of mgs2 and 3.
And the story itself. Is like a bunch of nonsensical ideas and motivations that have nothing to do with the original lore.

I love kojima. And I think he knew he was leaving konami way before the game was released.
That shows in the game.

Anyway! Shenmue 3is going to be great and that's all that matters!

Last edited:
I love kojima. And I think he knew he was leaving konami way before the game was released.
That shows in the game.
That really not even up in the air anymore, more like its confirmed outright that his final year and a half at the company was hell and he couldn't even talk to his team for a large part of development's second half. Honestly the fact the game came out the way it did is a testament to how talented him and his team were and I think the fact that they made death stranding so fast despite forming a new team from scratch, learning someone else engine, and having to create a totally new open world game in less than 4 years which is under the industry standard for how long it takes to make one is honestly incredible. It just remains to be seen if its actually.....like good.

Doom Eternal which was scheduled for release on November 22nd has been delayed until March 20th 2020 now.

Quite worrisome that a game coming out very close to Shenmue 3 can be delayed so close to release like this so let's hope the same doesn't happen to Shenmue 3.

Gutted about Doom. Had that preordered, and Doom 64's port is now also delayed :( Oh well, still got Death Stranding and Shenmue 3 on order to enjoy (oh, and Yakuza 4 comes out at the end of this month so there's that as well!)

Gutted about Doom. Had that preordered, and Doom 64's port is now also delayed :( Oh well, still got Death Stranding and Shenmue 3 on order to enjoy (oh, and Yakuza 4 comes out at the end of this month so there's that as well!)

Honestly, I'm kind of glad...between Shenmue III, Yakuza 4, Death Stranding (I probably will buy it), Persona 5 Royal (I'm importing) and Pokemon...I got enough to play through without adding one more to the pile...And I know once November 19th hits, Shenmue III is getting the bulk of my time...so I'm kind of glad it got delayed.

More time to devote to Shenmue III without feeling more overwhelmed than I already will be.

Honestly, I'm kind of glad...between Shenmue III, Yakuza 4, Death Stranding (I probably will buy it), Persona 5 Royal (I'm importing) and Pokemon...I got enough to play through without adding one more to the pile...And I know once November 19th hits, Shenmue III is getting the bulk of my time...so I'm kind of glad it got delayed.

More time to devote to Shenmue III without feeling more overwhelmed than I already will be.
I'll be waiting on Persona and skipping Pokemon (not playing Yakuza 4 either, since I played the import version earlier in the year) so I was planing to play it, but oh well I can wait! I would probably be playing another Yakuza this year but instead might just wait until 7 is released in January.

Back