Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I agree with you, except for Stick Stickly. He's a legend...
Don't forget about Jerk Gently!

Seriously though, I wonder how many heads my Stick Stickly reference flew right over. I know that a lot of you are from the UK and I'm not sure if you had Nickelodeon in the 90s or how different it was compared to the US if you did.

Combat would improve tenfold with better physics and animation. I personally wouldn’t even need the technical aspects to change. What makes Yakuza fun is how weighty it feels when you knock someone about. It’s way more simplistic than Shenmue 3, but it feels good. Nothing happens in 3 when you knock someone against a wall. Make the environment even just a slight bit more interactive. I know you’re not meant to fight like a thug, but the environment could be better incorporated.
Agreed. Especially with moves like the Elbow Assault or the Double Blow, the original games had this effect that almost made it feel like the earth was shaking. And there needs to be better falling animations. Often when you knock someone down in Shenmue III, they just sort of fall straight on their butt and it doesn't really look like there was much impact.

Guarantee there’d be way less criticism if they worked a little more on weight and impact. That’s what most people are confusing for a poor combat system.

Throws/grabs would also help, but we know why they left those out.
anytime someone ragdolled it totally killed the flow of combat too, both the weight and how long it takes them to get up didnt feel right.

The knock-down hits have great impact imo, it's just all the other hits that don't knock down your opponent that feel a bit weak. Plus enemies block a lot and it feels like you can't break it, you can only wait for them to drop it, and that doesn't feel great either.

Seriously though, I wonder how many heads my Stick Stickly reference flew right over. I know that a lot of you are from the UK and I'm not sure if you had Nickelodeon in the 90s or how different it was compared to the US if you did.
You say Nickelodeon, I think of Ren and Stimpy.

Don't think I ever saw Mr. Stickly on TV.

You say Nickelodeon, I think of Ren and Stimpy.

Don't think I ever saw Mr. Stickly on TV.
He was the host of a programming block during the afternoon. I think Ren & Stimpy was actually one of the shows that was on during that block. I distinctly remember Rocko's Modern Life being on.

The most memorable thing about him was the jingle he sang, which was the address you could write to him at.

Really shows you how amazingly constructed and detailed the passport model was, almost two decades old yet outside texturing and materials looks just as good as current models.

Also demonstrates the slightly more cartoony design Shenmue 3 opted for in comparison. As great as current model was I wish it stuck a little more to the passport model.
The shoulders and hips look a bit weird when fit (not sure of the terminology) to the S3 animations, but otherwise it looks fucking amazing. I know they had to re-create Ryo in such a way that he better fits with the rest of the S3 world, but damn if passport Ryo wasn't the coolest looking Ryo ever. Also how the fuck is he linking all that shit together in the combat sections? Is the combat modded here too?

The shoulders and hips look a bit weird when fit (not sure of the terminology) to the S3 animations, but otherwise it looks fucking amazing. I know they had to re-create Ryo in such a way that he better fits with the rest of the S3 world, but damn if passport Ryo wasn't the coolest looking Ryo ever. Also how the fuck is he linking all that shit together in the combat sections? Is the combat modded here too?
That's what I was thinking too. It's like, Ryo's Passport model is so good that it somehow makes the combat look more fluid? What the hell?

He was the host of a programming block during the afternoon. I think Ren & Stimpy was actually one of the shows that was on during that block. I distinctly remember Rocko's Modern Life being on.

The most memorable thing about him was the jingle he sang, which was the address you could write to him at.
Rocko's Modern Life! Yeah I remember that. But I watched Nickelodeon cartoons on Channel 4 rather than Nick's own channel. Don't think C4 had Stick Stickly. Unless I'm intentionally blanking him out. Maybe childhood trauma....? Hmm.....

Old Ryo in new game looks really cool, btw. Modding is one of the best things about PC gaming that makes console peasants like myself super-jealous.

It is also amusing that his mouth doesn't move, and it's like everyone is reading his mind.

I just noticed Shenhua watching that fight against Gold Tiger. I don't remember that happening in my playthrough, are there certain conditions you need to meet, or was I just not paying attention?

Shenmue III is a story set in the 1980's about a guy who wears a jacket with a tiger on the back

df5fc07a2d6c5d9d7218b4792802bdbb.jpg

He is on a quest for vengeance after someone he loves is killed by a superior fighter

17624404b39ba1e7bcb663449dabc2666162487f.jpg

He seeks the help of an old grandmaster who forces him to catch chickens

Rocky-Chicken-Scene-640x400.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

During his quest he will chop wood

WelldocumentedLawfulEnglishpointer-size_restricted.gif

and meet up with a quiet timid woman who wears interesting hats who will shape his destiny

I wonder if Rock sorry I mean Ryo will beat Lan Di in a streetfight at the end of Rock I mean Shenmue V?

:D

(for anyone about to go UGH ACKTUALLY those aren't in chronological order...it's a joke post)

I was just watching Adam Koralik's review and I know people here have had similar complaints to Adam, but am I seriously the only person who had little to no issues with the QTE timing? Adam said they're borderline impossible, which I can tell you from my experience is an utterly ridiculous claim.

Git gud, guys.

Last edited:
I was just watching Adam Koralik's review and I know people here have had similar complaints to Adam, but am I seriously the only person who had little to no issues with the QTE timing? Adam said they're borderline impossible, which I can tell you from my experience is an utterly ridiculous claim.

Git gud, guys.
They're tough but not ridiculous. But I agree the window could be a little more forgiving.

I found them ok overall.

Back