Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Haha so I just traded in a spare copy of Shenmue 3 into CEX and got served by the most unprofessional guy ever. Bless him, he looked about 15.

The conversation basically went "what did you think of Shenmue 3?", with me responding I really enjoyed it mostly. You'd think that would be the moment he just says "fair enough", but nope, he went on and on about how he's seen Youtube videos and how it looks like utter shit, it's janky as hell, looks boring and it looks like a PS1 game (makes a change from it looking like a PS2 game, I suppose). Then he said the hud is literally the worse hud he has ever seen in his life.

Bless the kids of today.

I wasn't offended, I just thought it was funny. The really unprofessional part was when I asked if he could have a look for a Saturn game that they have in stock, but I couldn't see where their Saturn games have moved to. He couldn't find it and apologised profusely (fair enough), but then went on a huge rant about how crap the new manager is and has made their lives hell at Christmas, because he's just moved all the stock around and none of the assistants know where any of the stock has gone and he's just a massive bellend. Lol. He told me they have 9 Xbox controllers and people keep queuing up to buy one and they have to apologise that no one knows where the manager has moved them to.

Must be nice to read the same old narratives and negative talking points online, and then repeat them to a stranger in real life believing they're your own thoughts.

Haha so I just traded in a spare copy of Shenmue 3 into CEX and got served by the most unprofessional guy ever. Bless him, he looked about 15.

The conversation basically went "what did you think of Shenmue 3?", with me responding I really enjoyed it mostly. You'd think that would be the moment he just says "fair enough", but nope, he went on and on about how he's seen Youtube videos and how it looks like utter shit, it's janky as hell, looks boring and it looks like a PS1 game (makes a change from it looking like a PS2 game, I suppose). Then he said the hud is literally the worse hud he has ever seen in his life.

Bless the kids of today.

I wasn't offended, I just thought it was funny. The really unprofessional part was when I asked if he could have a look for a Saturn game that they have in stock, but I couldn't see where their Saturn games have moved to. He couldn't find it and apologised profusely (fair enough), but then went on a huge rant about how crap the new manager is and has made their lives hell at Christmas, because he's just moved all the stock around and none of the assistants know where any of the stock has gone and he's just a massive bellend. Lol. He told me they have 9 Xbox controllers and people keep queuing up to buy one and they have to apologise that no one knows where the manager has moved them to.
Damn, I don't know what kind of magical PS1 he has that makes games look that good but I sure wish I had one back in the 90s! Would have been the envy of all my friends and classmates in middle school. :geek:

Spent a literal evening in Shenmue fighting Gold Tiger over and over till i had the dodge timing down right. By the time night fell In the last bout he couldn't touch me. GON - everyday without neglect, to keep training. ;)
One thing they should fix/improve in shenmue 4 is the combat imo. It had some issues here:

-In harder difficulties you have to train a lot with the dummies in order to have a chance fighting with high tier fighters.(Those endurance and sparring mini games weren't that fun to be played for hours.)

-You have to tap left analog to do ducks. Unfortunately in some ways it's not precise .(Reminds me of that Tekken: Death By Degrees game where you have to dodge with tapping left analog stick.)

-In moves list you can't see the amount of damage that your moves actually inflict.

-Using right analog stick for changing targets wasn't also precise at the times that you fight 3 opponents.

-Also pressing face button combinations for moves that aren't in your shortcuts weren't that precise and were pretty slow compare to using them on shortcuts.
For example , ground attack(which you only need to press A twice to use) doesn't work if you press A, 3 times. Ryo also pauses for few moments before performing it.

Since I talked about the issues let's talk about the things that I liked:

-Block button and this that you have a meter for that.

-Having duck moves was also a nice idea.

-Being able to customize your shortcut moves with 5 moves that you like.

-Being able to win the fights by ringing out the opponents.

-Having some mind game in it where you have to strike at the right moment to win. Also this was nice that some opponents wouldn't fall by your attacks.

Damn, I don't know what kind of magical PS1 he has that makes games look that good but I sure wish I had one back in the 90s! Would have been the envy of all my friends and classmates in middle school. :geek:
A lot of these kiddies have never actually played a PS1 game, and many of those that have will have used an emulator, which can tighten up the edges, minimise jaggies/fuzzies, implement shaders, etc.

It's not real PS1 unless you use the real thing via an RF cable for maximum fuzz.

I am so ashamed. On my new game plus playthrough, I caved and...and...and......I changed Ryo's clothes! :crying:

A lot of these kiddies have never actually played a PS1 game, and many of those that have will have used an emulator, which can tighten up the edges, minimise jaggies/fuzzies, implement shaders, etc.

It's not real PS1 unless you use the real thing via an RF cable for maximum fuzz.
To be fair, I was already using composite video by the time I got a PS1. So it wasn't quite as fuzzy as RF.

I am so ashamed. On my new game plus playthrough, I caved and...and...and......I changed Ryo's clothes! :crying:
I bought one of those Bell Woods t-shirts and wore it for a few minutes (still with the jacket on), but it just looked so wrong. Figured Ryo would represent his favorite soda brand, but it wasn't meant to be. :crying:

I sometimes put on the Kenpogi gear for training though and would also sometimes take off the jacket before sparring, since Ryo did that when he sparred with Fuku-san anyway. It's canon, so it's okay. :geek:

The only clothes that I bought and then wore for the rest of the game were the S4 sneakers. :cool:

If you watch the S3 ending in blurry 30 fps quality on Youtube (e.g. Shenmue 3 castle finale ost extended), it's amazing how the graphics are easily matching the CGI of Shenmue Online. The style of filming is pretty similar too.

Yeah we all hated that trailer then but the pre-rendered visuals and martial animations were top-notch, and you can say the same for S3, except it's real time.

To be fair to the kid, he looked no older than 20 max and he probably thought he was just making light conversation and being friendly.

It probably didn't occur to him that telling a customer a game they enjoyed is shit is not going to create the best impression on the customer.

I didn't even mention half of it, to be fair. At one point his colleague interjected that they think "it's supposed to look and play that way because it's like a direct continuation of the first two games...[ah, this kid gets it, I think to myself] which came out, like, 12 years ago on the PS2" [my mistake, no he doesn't] I corrected the other assistant that it was 18 years ago and on the Dreamcast, but yeah, basically that's right. So the guy serving me responded with "oh so the lazy devs couldn't think of anything new to do, so basically just thought let's revive a dead series people loved and not even bother updating the graphics for a quick cash grab"

To be fair to the kid, he looked no older than 20 max and he probably thought he was just making light conversation and being friendly.

It probably didn't occur to him that telling a customer a game they enjoyed is shit is not going to create the best impression on the customer.

I didn't even mention half of it, to be fair. At one point his colleague interjected that they think "it's supposed to look and play that way because it's like a direct continuation of the first two games...[ah, this kid gets it, I think to myself] which came out, like, 12 years ago on the PS2" [my mistake, no he doesn't] I corrected the other assistant that it was 18 years ago and on the Dreamcast, but yeah, basically that's right. So the guy serving me responded with "oh so the lazy devs couldn't think of anything new to do, so basically just thought let's revive a dead series people loved and not even bother updating the graphics for a quick cash grab"
And this is why I rarely go to physical video game shops any more.

Must be nice to read the same old narratives and negative talking points online, and then repeat them to a stranger in real life believing they're your own thoughts.
I know a guy that does this and he's in his late 20s...he just kind of inherits opinions from his fave YouTubers and brashly spouts them off as fact. And all I do in response is politely nod...apart from when he got into Shenmue III, then I was happy to shoot him down :coffee:

It's kinda depressing when you consider a lot of big gaming YouTubers put a negative spin on things to get views, not necessarily because they feel strongly about something.

Come to think of it, the whole "I worship a handful of people I watch on the internet and live my life by what they say" is actually a dangerously common reality nowadays.

How dare you.
It was an accident! I was drunk! I slipped and fell into the new clothes! The shopkeeper said the t-shirt really suited me! It was an impulse purchase! Oh, the shame... I don't even know who I am any more....

I know a guy that does this and he's in his late 20s...he just kind of inherits opinions from his fave YouTubers and brashly spouts them off as fact. And all I do in response is politely nod...apart from when he got into Shenmue III, then I was happy to shoot him down :coffee:

It's kinda depressing when you consider a lot of big gaming YouTubers put a negative spin on things to get views, not necessarily because they feel strongly about something.

Come to think of it, the whole "I worship a handful of people I watch on the internet and live my life by what they say" is actually a dangerously common reality nowadays.
I agree with you, except for Stick Stickly. He's a legend...

Combat would improve tenfold with better physics and animation. I personally wouldn’t even need the technical aspects to change. What makes Yakuza fun is how weighty it feels when you knock someone about. It’s way more simplistic than Shenmue 3, but it feels good. Nothing happens in 3 when you knock someone against a wall. Make the environment even just a slight bit more interactive. I know you’re not meant to fight like a thug, but the environment could be better incorporated.

Back